Photo

Need testers for Dreams of Yesterday 2013.

• Please log in to reply
1041 replies to this topic

#31 pixcalibur

pixcalibur

Warrior

• Members

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:15 AM

One is just past the guy who talks about the train and switches. From there, go right and then up.
One is right below the boss key
One is found after falling down hole on right side of 1F. Go up, right, and then down. There's a walk through wall to find another key.

#32 pixcalibur

pixcalibur

Warrior

• Members

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:17 AM

Hmm, saw some new changes in Enigma Castle. Great, that's going to throw my whole route off given I get the Relic Stone from there fairly early on. Not sure if I can find other ways to block the keys and main route and still keep the Relic Stone path open.

#33 Artistic

Artistic

Warrior

• Members

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:48 AM

QUOTE(pixcalibur @ Jan 31 2013, 01:15 AM) View Post

One is just past the guy who talks about the train and switches. From there, go right and then up.
One is right below the boss key
One is found after falling down hole on right side of 1F. Go up, right, and then down. There's a walk through wall to find another key.

Thanks! pixcalibur for your help icon_smile.gif

Good News!

I always save my progress as I go on better quest that may have bugs. So I had a save from when I was in the Mines. So I used that one and finished the Mines and then went to the Train Station. I did find 5 keys before and I had used the last one on that lock block. So it did make me short a key. BUT NOW! since I went from that previous save all is well. I can finish the Train Station now. icon_biggrin.gif

#34 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:55 AM

G'haa, sorry for the inconvenience. Again, more than happy to solve any little key dilemma, though rest assured, your diligence and tenacity is truly a treasure. ^.^

QUOTE(pixcalibur @ Jan 31 2013, 02:17 AM) View Post

Hmm, saw some new changes in Enigma Castle. Great, that's going to throw my whole route off given I get the Relic Stone from there fairly early on. Not sure if I can find other ways to block the keys and main route and still keep the Relic Stone path open.

I can undo those, if you'd like. icon_shrug.gif My rationale (I won't say it was a good one) is that you only need to kill the enemies once to get the key to open that door. Then you can just walk right by the enemies through the now-open door.

I can make them level-specific keys, so they can only be used on that floor. icon_shrug.gif I don't think there are any dungeon-wide triggers that happen on one floor and make something happen on another. So it should be fine if all three floors have their own level-specific keys that only work on that floor. It's a slightly linear dungeon too, yes?

Oh, by the way, pixcalibur, in Enigma F-1, in 28:62, there's a key locked away in a chest surrounded by blocks. Do you know how to get that? Because there's absolutely no way that I can see to get it. No warp arrivals anywhere, no screen that warps to that screen, none of the blocks are walkable or pushable, they're all the same blocks, no enemies, no special screen flags, ... absolutely nothing.

-----------------------------

Another thing. I'm kinda stumped in Enigma (Go figure) by the key placement. From the moment you get up to the second floor, there is exactly one key available to us, yet we have two locked doors. One leads to the boss key and no regular key to replenish it, while the other door, on 28:34, lets us continue with the dungeon.

#35 pixcalibur

pixcalibur

Warrior

• Members

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

I think what you were trying to do was to require the ladder to progress. The thing is at 28:63, the 2 black columns towards the right are walkable, making the stepladder hole rather meaningless. Can leave 28:63 as it was before the changes.

It's ok to have a little exploration, even if one manages to get the Magic Book without getting the ladder, still can't finish the level since you don't have the wand, which requires the ladder to reach. 3F also requires the ladder in some rooms.

If you want to still require the ladder earlier on, can put holes at 28:24 around the 2nd row from the top, blocking the paths to the door. Getting squished only sends you back a room with a little life damage, so you won't be trapped. I don't think you'll need level-specific keys if you block up 28:24 with holes as noted above since keys and locks are still even.

28:62 - from the hint at 28:25, you have to pound the blocks with the axe multiple times, 3 in this case, to flatten the blocks. So you have two keys on 1F and one on 2F for the 3 available locks, keeping numbers even. No need for extra keys.

Capitol Port
14:5F – can remove the hole on the left. All it blocks is a bomb upgrade and a potion. One could go to 14:4F and see the holes blocking the way anyway, so no real extra value from that hole at 14:5F. Can't even access Hotel without the ladder as well.

=======================================================

QUOTE(ShadowTiger @ Jan 31 2013, 03:55 AM) View Post

G'haa, sorry for the inconvenience. Again, more than happy to solve any little key dilemma, though rest assured, your diligence and tenacity is truly a treasure. ^.^
I can undo those, if you'd like. icon_shrug.gif My rationale (I won't say it was a good one) is that you only need to kill the enemies once to get the key to open that door. Then you can just walk right by the enemies through the now-open door.

I can make them level-specific keys, so they can only be used on that floor. icon_shrug.gif I don't think there are any dungeon-wide triggers that happen on one floor and make something happen on another. So it should be fine if all three floors have their own level-specific keys that only work on that floor. It's a slightly linear dungeon too, yes?
Oh, by the way, pixcalibur, in Enigma F-1, in 28:62, there's a key locked away in a chest surrounded by blocks. Do you know how to get that? Because there's absolutely no way that I can see to get it. No warp arrivals anywhere, no screen that warps to that screen, none of the blocks are walkable or pushable, they're all the same blocks, no enemies, no special screen flags, ... absolutely nothing.
-----------------------------

Another thing. I'm kinda stumped in Enigma (Go figure) by the key placement. From the moment you get up to the second floor, there is exactly one key available to us, yet we have two locked doors. One leads to the boss key and no regular key to replenish it, while the other door, on 28:34, lets us continue with the dungeon.

#36 MeleeWizard

MeleeWizard

Best of both worlds.

• Members

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

QUOTE(ShadowTiger @ Jan 31 2013, 06:55 AM) View Post

If you're referring to what I think you are, I get to that chest in part 41 of my LP. Remember where there was a clue talking about blocks that require multiple axe/hammer shots to get rid of?

#37 Artistic

Artistic

Warrior

• Members

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

Am I suppose to be able to hookshot over to the gold/bronze color block? If so, can't do it hookshot won't go pass the edge in front of me.
IPB Image

----------------------------------------

I slashed a flower here fell in the hole and ended up stuck in the wall in the bottom picture. I F6 Continue and started in that same room. I hadn't been in the Crypt yet.
IPB Image

IPB Image

-------------------------------------

This green flower has a square around it. Thought that might of meant to burn it. But, alas no. icon_unsettled.gif
IPB Image

#38 Mister Snooze

Mister Snooze

Paladin

• Members

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

Hello, I haven't signed up for testing but am playing the game and have a little feed back for you ( I will be a tester if you like). Apart from some chests with nothing in them the main problem I have found is that you cannot tell which boomer you have they are all blue so if you recolored them to signify which one you are buying (winning) it would be helpful. I have also found several shields for sale and they all look alike. i bought one and it got eaten by enemies so it wasn't what I had expected. Every shield I have seen for sale also looks the same. Can this be rectified?

Edited by Mister Snooze, 31 January 2013 - 04:17 PM.

#39 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

I think what you were trying to do was to require the ladder to progress. The thing is at 28:63, the 2 black columns towards the right are walkable, making the stepladder hole rather meaningless. Can leave 28:63 as it was before the changes.

It's ok to have a little exploration, even if one manages to get the Magic Book without getting the ladder, still can't finish the level since you don't have the wand, which requires the ladder to reach. 3F also requires the ladder in some rooms.
What I'm trying to prevent is people going into a dungeon, taking a key out of it, and going into a different dungeon and using that key in that dungeon without being able to find another key in that dungeon. Because the different floors of the different dungeons use different Level Numbers, we can't use level-specific keys as a solution because you can't take them between floors in a consistent manner.

I'm a bit reluctant to remove the holes in Enigma for that reason. If they don't have the ladder yet, without that hole, they could go in and grab a key, find a ladder hole or something, and leave without using that key, but still have that key and accidentally use it elsewhere.

Hello, I haven't signed up for testing but am playing the game and have a little feed back for you ( I will be a tester if you like). Apart from some chests with nothing in them the main problem I have found is that you cannot tell which boomer you have they are all blue so if you recolored them to signify which one you are buying (winning) it would be helpful. I have also found several shields for sale and they all look alike. i bought one and it got eaten by enemies so it wasn't what I had expected. Every shield I have seen for sale also looks the same. Can this be rectified?
That's because they are. If it looks the same, they are the same. The L1 Boomerang is wooden. The L2 Boomerang has a blue gem in the middle instead of a red gem, and is for sale in Pulcheria and can be found in a chest in a cave in the overworld. The L2 shield is for sale in several places, and can be found also in caves in the overworld, and can even be found before you "wake up" from the dream in the intro. There's a shield that's more tan in a cave near the Dam (The L3 shield) that can't be eaten by Like Likes. It looks different than the L2 shield.

(Artistic's Bug finds)
Thanks for the bugs. Interesting hookshot bug there. Confirmed fixed.

#40 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

You could script some level-specific keys.

CODE
// DMap to level mapping
int dmapLevel[] = { 0, 1, 1, 1, 0, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3 };

int levelKeys[numLevels+1];

int prevLevel;

global script LevelKeys
{
    void run()
    {
        while(true)
        {
            Waitdraw();
            DoLevelKeys();
            Waitframe();
        }
    }

void DoLevelKeys()
    {
        int level=dmapLevel[Game->GetCurrDmap()];

if(level==prevLevel)
        {
            levelKeys[level]=Game->Counter[CR_KEYS];
        }
        else
        {
            Game->Counter[CR_KEYS]=levelKeys[level];
            level=prevLevel
        }
    }
}

That might work. Or it might not.

#41 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

Hm. An interesting proposition. Thanks for the script, certainly. Should it become absolutely necessary, this will be the first thing I consider! Yes many thanks, Saffith.

#42 pixcalibur

pixcalibur

Warrior

• Members

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

Hmm, well, at this point at 28:63, the two black columns to the right are actually walkable spaces, so you can walk right around the hole and still get the key without the ladder. Can just remove the key and lock from that room and put them on say 3F or something.

The other keys can be blocked by ladder holes (can try holes blocking the "1" and "3" doors and one next to the key on 2F)

Unfortunately the easy sure way to prevent transfer of keys is to make them specific to each level.

Edited by pixcalibur, 31 January 2013 - 05:57 PM.

#43 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

QUOTE(pixcalibur @ Jan 31 2013, 05:56 PM) View Post

Hmm, well, at this point at 28:63, the two black columns to the right are actually walkable spaces, so you can walk right around the hole and still get the key without the ladder.
I have no idea why those black holes are walkable, but they're pits now. icon_shrug.gif Truly nothing difficult to fix at all. The key on that screen only appears when you kill all the enemies, which can only be done by using the wand. Arrows trigger the screens secrets, which drops you down into the pit, and I hadn't taken the Fire Boomerang into account until MeleeWizard's masterful Let's Play, so I placed "Block All Boomerang" combos on the new lamps in front of the arrow triggers, so the only thing left to use is the wand. icon_shrug.gif So you NEED the wand to even make the key appear, and you need the ladder to get that key.

So the only way to skip that room is by already having a key, and having a ladder.

Can just remove the key and lock from that room and put them on say 3F or something.
Not much need. There will always be that problem. All we can do is limit the availability of the occurrences of the problem.

The other keys can be blocked by ladder holes (can try holes blocking the "1" and "3" doors and one next to the key on 2F)

Unfortunately the easy sure way to prevent transfer of keys is to make them specific to each level.

This is one of those times where I'm not 100% sure that a script can be as useful as it ought to be. If anything, we need to know why C-Dawg made those level numbers they way they are. For example, F-1 of the Volcano is level 82. F-2 is 81. F-3 is 7. (Likely due to Triforce piece #7.)

So I tell y'what. I'm going to set all Volcano floors to Level Number 7. We'll see what happens. That's our little experiment.

Until this happens, this will be an interesting couple of months, I'm sure.

Another update.

#44 Artistic

Artistic

Warrior

• Members

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

You can hookshot over to the headstone then go left and then up to the the main Crypt. You go there before finishing the first part of the Crypt but then you can't do much without the hammer. icon_ahha.gif ! can by pass some of the Crypt after getting the hammer. icon_biggrin.gif
IPB Image

Slash some pots. You might want to change the undercombo. icon_smile.gif
IPB Image

#45 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE(Artistic @ Jan 31 2013, 06:29 PM) View Post

You can hookshot over to the headstone then go left and then up to the the main Crypt. You go there before finishing the first part of the Crypt but then you can't do much without the hammer. icon_ahha.gif ! can by pass some of the Crypt after getting the hammer. icon_biggrin.gif
IPB Image
Interesting. I never knew the back half of those 2x2 graves were hookshot points. That doesn't make any sense. icon_odd.gif Well, now they aren't. I don't think the front half needs to be grave combos either. 2x2 graves are more elegant, and their spirits more likely to be at rest. Whatever. Not important.

Slash some pots. You might want to change the undercombo. icon_smile.gif
IPB Image
Nice find. Thanks for the reminder. Every time I see that, I never seem to fix it. Now it's fixed! At long last!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users