Photo

Screenshot of the Week 193

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

Poll: SoTW 193 (41 member(s) have cast votes)

Contestants

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 13 January 2008 - 06:15 PM

QUOTE(billy ronald @ Jan 13 2008, 08:52 PM) View Post
So bash all you want i don't relly care

Billy, you have to understand that there are very few people that 'bash' your work, it's constructive criticism icon_unsettled.gif

I know you probably don't think that way, but I'm sure the people who've said that they don't like your screen this week haven't thought 'Oh I hate Billy's screens, they all look rubbish, let's keep telling him that till he cries and goes away'

At least, I hope they haven't icon_glare.gif

You're screens do quite often lack detail, and they look as though if you spent a little more time on them they would be a lot better.

I don't know if I speak for anyone else, but I have a sort of formula in the way I do screens:
I start by drawing in the 'borders' for the screen (as in, the parts that are solid and don't allow Link into the next screens), then add the solid objects (like houses and trees) that stand around in the middle, then any kind of structured walkable objects (such as a pathway), then fill out the rest of the screen's unwalkable tiles, and finally go round at the end and add in details.
Sure, it takes me a long time.
Sometimes an hour a screen (although I'm planning not to be spending this long on screens in my new project >_<)

But if you have some kind of a system, where you always check to make sure you've added the relevant bits to a screen, then it might work better for you?

Then again, it might not, I'm under the impression that being dyslexic affects that sort of thing?

Anyway, try spending a little more time and see how it goes.

QUOTE(TriMaster001 @ Jan 13 2008, 08:47 PM) View Post
Nuvo: It's always the same old thing icon_shrug.gif

Not that I meant to offend you either Nuvo, but I sortof have to agree with that.

There are quite big differences with the screenshots you just posted, but they all use NoeL's mountains a lot, with the undetailed grass and quite a few bits of plantlife around.

However, I think they all look great ^_^

Your screens do all seem quite simmilar, but if that's your style and all of your screens look that good, I know I wouldn't be complaining =P

#17 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 13 January 2008 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE(Joe123 @ Jan 13 2008, 04:15 PM) View Post

There are quite big differences with the screenshots you just posted, but they all use NoeL's mountains a lot, with the undetailed grass and quite a few bits of plantlife around.

It's style, man. SD3 grass is just gaudy. And the mere fact that all my areas use NoeL's mountains a lot is for the fact that the starting area in which I'm creating is really mountainous, and the areas are large. There's nothing small about Incendia, the starting location itself "The Rock" uses almost an entire BS overworld. The beginning of the quest, right until you get to the first "plain" probably will use up to 3 overworlds(not including dungeons). The quest is enormous, the areas are enormous, and school just loves to devour my free time like a man to his steak. There are going to be many areas that aren't mountainous in the quest, but it's just for the sheer fact that I haven't got there yet.
Well, there's my justification for the moment.

#18 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 13 January 2008 - 06:41 PM

No no, sorry.

I wasn't saying 'You're using undetalied grass and it's bad', just 'You're using undetalied grass and it's common between screens'

And the same with the large usage of NoeL's mountains.

I think it looks great.

#19 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:35 PM

I hope I didn't offend you Nuvo. I was just looking for something new from you other than that shot you presented.

#20 Zemious

Zemious

Magicite: Bahamut

• Members

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE(billy ronald @ Jan 13 2008, 03:52 PM) View Post

Scorry but i frogot the detile and well i didn't relly sumbmite this screen seruisey (dum dum dummmmmm)
So bash all you want i don't relly care

But it was soupost to be a moution in Twilight burning

If you don't care, why are you tellings us you don't care? I think you do really care but you don't want others to know you really are upset that you submitted somthing you thought was going to win or atleast knock off a few votes from the other submissions but it didn't. Am I right?
I won't comment on your grammar and spelling. icon_razz.gif

Your shot does need more detail, but with time and experience comes better submissions and eventually (hopefully), a quest.

#21 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 13 January 2008 - 09:43 PM

Evile - 7/10
Good creation of an overworld screen. While it doesn't look flawed, it lacks personality. But for one out of many screens in an overworld, it looks like it would fit great.

CastChaos - 7/10
Pretty good design of a hallway. You certainly put it together nicely, and I am especially liking the choice of enemies. I am wondering it there is a better way to differentiate the floor on the lower level with those on the balconies. Perhaps one can be slightly darker than the other. You'll have to play around with that to know better.

Nuvo - 7/10
I am loving the stone door, and clearly it's the central focus of the screen. The ground details are okay, as a simple solid green is not my favorite for grass. I am wondering if there is a better choice for a link sprite to better fit the overworld tiles you are using. Of course his large blue hat tends to put other aspects of him as secondary. The main focus and the idea are the best things about this screen in my opinion.

Plissken - 9/10
I love the choice of tiles. I love the setup. I love how it all fits together. The subscreen portion is excellent. I not only love the grass, but how well it goes with the tree leaves. That Link sprite fits well with the screen too. My vote easily goes to this screen this time.

billy ronald - 3/10
The screenshot is way too simple. A great screenshot requires more planning and integrity than you probably put into this one. I somehow doubt that you put much passion into creating this. Study more what others do and what people suggest in order to get some ideas.

#22 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

Can you take me as far as PureZC?

• Members

Posted 13 January 2008 - 11:15 PM

Plissken... practically no competition. Nuvo's and Evile's shots were very good, but not near Plissken's greatness. CC's looks nice, but is too symmetrical. Billy, your shot... it's really weird.

#23 Zemious

Zemious

Magicite: Bahamut

• Members

Posted 14 January 2008 - 12:37 AM

QUOTE(LostInHyru1e @ Jan 13 2008, 11:15 PM) View Post

Plissken... practically no competition. Nuvo's and Evile's shots were very good, but not near Plissken's greatness.

When you say stuff like that, do you ever see how they may feel?
What would you think if someone said that to you?
"Heh, you're right .. my shot was practically crap, all hail Plisken."
Most likely not.

#24 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 14 January 2008 - 01:18 AM

Evile
I absolutely loved the colors. Just... perfect composition, whether custom or not. Now you just need unique tiles to apply it to.

CastChaos
Overall, a tad plain, and the lack of shadows confuses the perspective, but besides that, I do like the screen's design.

Nuvo
Good choice of tiles, but I did not like the ugly green used for grass in contrast with the deep purpley cliffs.

Plissken
Perfect choice of colors, beautifully adapted tiles (save the central stone partition), but most of all, a breathtaking subscreen. I wouldn't usually vote for something as cluttered, but every other aspect sets this shot far beyond the others.

billy ronald
Everything in this screen is a bit linear and undetailed for my taste. Perhaps varying the cliffs' pattern or lava path a bit would help out? PRetty good subscreen though.

Vote: Plissken
Runner-up: Evile

#25 Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt

Wizard

• Members

Posted 14 January 2008 - 04:02 AM

QUOTE(Zemious @ Jan 14 2008, 12:37 AM) View Post

Most likely not.

He said the others are "very good". Is that so terribly insulting?

#26 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 14 January 2008 - 07:12 AM

Hmm... really can't decide between Nuvo and Plissken... both good looking shots, and both have the same flaws (detail level clashes due to mix-n-match graphics).

Gunna have to go with Plissken though, for having more variety in the shot, a custom subscreen (that could use a little work), and a more appealing palette.

#27 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 14 January 2008 - 11:44 AM

Plissken. No contest! icon_smile.gif

Unless Evile was using his own set, maybe. D:

#28 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

Can you take me as far as PureZC?

• Members

Posted 14 January 2008 - 04:37 PM

QUOTE(Zemious @ Jan 13 2008, 10:37 PM) View Post

Most likely not.

I said that Nuvo's and Evile's shots were "Very Good", but they just didn't stand up to the competition. I also said that although CastChaos's shot was good, the fact that it was so symmetrical kind of made it less special. :Shrugs: I didn't say any of them were bad.

#29 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:03 PM

QUOTE(The Satellite @ Jan 14 2008, 08:44 AM) View Post

Plissken. No contest! icon_smile.gif

Unless Evile was using his own set, maybe. D:

Next time TS. icon_wink.gif

Oh, congrats on the win Plissken. icon_razz.gif

#30 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members

Posted 20 January 2008 - 03:58 AM

This week's winner is Plissken. That palette, that screen design, its perfect. Great job. By the way, we don't have enough screens for this week yet, so make sure you get your screens in!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users