Randomizer Omega, Record Breaking Demo?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 HeroOfFire

HeroOfFire

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 27 April 2018 - 11:21 AM

So it took some time, but I've put my ideas together to make Randomizer Omega. Literally, it combines overworlds, dungeons, items, and some mechanics from pretty much every past randomizer and has combined it into... this really big quest.

But for those still unaware, the Randomizer quests shuffle around a lot of the quest for a unique experience each time. The location of items, what each cave on the overworld is, where the dungeons show up, a lot is randomized each time. So much, it just isn't practical to have a "Don't Randomize" option this time. I blame variable length...

Speaking of which, you have a lot of options to choose how things get randomized. A significant option is the number of overworlds, and number of dungeon sets. If you don't want a very long playthrough, then choose lower options, to a minimum of 4 total dungeon sets (36 dungeons). If you want a marathon of a quest, and pick up a lot of items along the way, you can go all the way up to 16 total dungeon sets (144 dungeons).

What? Multiple Overworlds? Like Alpha, the multiple overworld mechanic returns. But so do the overworlds from Randomizers BS and Outlands, for a total of 4. But you don't have to start in the same overworld each time. And if you don't play with all 4, which ones you do get is random. To travel between overworlds, find a cave with a portal in it, or use the Whistle. It is suggested you find a bunch of key items like the Ladder and a Bracelet before world hopping.

With so many dungeons, expect the enemy difficulty to grow quickly as the Level number goes up. Each dungeon has 2 random items, a boss item, and a dungeon prize. That's 4 items per dungeon! Level 9's are still locked behind triforce pieces, and now you need the pieces specific to that overworld to enter the Level 9s.

Did I mention how many items you can find? There are so many, a typical subscreen no longer works. Now, you have an additional special subscreen for picking which items you have access to in the normal subscreen. Press Ex4 to manage these interesting weapons.

With 128 screens of secrets per overworld, keeping track would be hard. Luckily, there is a built in map for that. Press Ex3 to view it, and you can use A and B to color code the caves you've entered. Also, the Fortune Teller can help point the way...

...but this is just a demo for now, and a very big one at that. All 4 overworlds and those 144 dungeons can be completed. However, there is not much else. One of the Level 9s randomly takes you to an ending screen that tallies your progress, but you cannot save Zelda.

So what's next? The obvious is the proper ending. Although there can be up to 144 dungeons and 16 Level 9s, technically they are all optional. Somewhere will be the True Final Dungeon. A massive gauntlet of end game enemies, confusing paths, probably a unique miniboss, and a final Ganon Fight. Ganon will power up the more of his Level 9 fakes remain, so clearing out the Level 9s has meaning. You will need a handful of key items to even reach him, but these will be the same key items needed to 100% explore any overworld, plus any weapon that does high Arrow-based damage.

Also, bonus content. Secret overworld(s)? You bet! Bonus dungeons hidden in said overworld(s)? Already planned. Items that only appear in these bonus areas? Also planned. A way to reach them? In the works...

Also, more items. Right now, the maximum number of items that can be placed is 502. In the longest length, there are 688 locations to fill. Having almost 200 'dud' locations is a little silly, and I can easily add 70 more items into my current system. Maybe even more...

As usual, feedback is great. Not to mention finding bugs. You can imagine the sheer number of screens combined with the randomness, I've missed several things for sure. Enemies spawning in 1 x 1 open spots. Leftover Enemy Ringleaders. Improper Dark Room Tile CSets. Weird item quirks (or balancing).

...also, those who have been waiting for this for a while, or remember the initial discussions of Omega's concept, might be surprised that this is still the Z1 style screen designs. With this, I can get the mechanics of this scale working and stable, and when this is getting close to a Final Beta, I can start working on a version that uses... more interesting level design. An Omega with Mirage Island screen design (quest name pending). But don't expect news on that for a long while. If it took months to get THIS to the current state, you can imagine the additional time if every screen was unique...
  • Anthus, dennputt, WindRobe and 5 others like this

#2 Zolias

Zolias

Retired Darknut Captain; Apprentice Wizrobe

• Members

Posted 27 April 2018 - 04:10 PM

I've never even heard of Randomizer Omega before this, but now that I've read, I'm actually really excited!!!  

#3 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Banned

Posted 27 April 2018 - 05:35 PM

I honestly never played any of the other randomizers at length, cause I have a short attention span, and my "ocd" get's triggered easily with games like that. :P

I'll be checking this one out though, seeing as the map features, and item management seem to be on point.

#4 Ryunaker

Ryunaker

Junior

• Members

Posted 28 April 2018 - 12:10 AM

Are the 'P' bags supposed to be able to upgrade your defense?   This is the only thing I've picked up that I don't recognize, but I am suddenly only taking half damage, but still have no defense rings.  Only ring I have is a skull ring.  (I have, so far, gotten 2 'P' bags, and 1 fairy.  Not sure which may have been the trigger.)

(Ironically, that, combined with the music that is playing the level I noticed this in, has left me thinking of Brentalfloss's Zelda 2 song.)

I've always enjoyed your randomizers, and it's looking pretty good, so far.

Side note:  There does not seem to be a counter of 'P' bags anywhere (that I can see, so far.)

Edited by Ryunaker, 28 April 2018 - 12:14 AM.

#5 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 28 April 2018 - 07:57 PM

I have a few suggestions, based on the past couple of randomizers that I've played. Sorry for no reviews yet, but I hope these help:

1. "Lens of Truth as Starting Weapon" - possibly as a version with infinite use. I know this sounds game-breaking, but one of the things I loved about Mirage Island is that all of the secrets (well okay, not the artifact secrets, but even those had compasses) were visible. Doing this option would mean that the focus is shifted from the wacky Zelda 1-style secrets (burn the tree, bomb the wall) onto the dungeons themselves, and you bet I'm planning to do a 144-run.

2. One-way shutters (those unopenable even by moving blocks or defeating all enemies) would have a ! or something with the Lens of Truth.

3. Some ideas for different lenses - 

Level 1 - Pebble of Agony (Use it and it just beeps if there's a secret in your room, only for dungeons obviously)

Level 2 - Stone of Agony (The same, but allows you to sniff out the secrets by doing a high-pitched beep near the actual triggers, like when your sword pokes a wall)

Level 3 - Cracked Lens (Shows ? symbols on triggers)

With level 4 and up being the usual ones from the quests

4. Fire Chomp - A Bow Wow upgrade as a cool reference to SMB3. His tail is damaging like the Fire Boomerang.

5. Switches that you can trigger at starting point - not saved between sessions

Ganon Switch - Makes Ganon always his strongest form

Green Switch - Turns you back to the green tunic as a self-imposed challenge

Stab Switch - I mean, I don't miss it, but slash -> stab would make a good challenge

6. Boss Come Back Button - I LOVED the bosses from Mirage Island, and only wished I could fight them again. Well, here it is. Doesn't make another heart prize come back obviously.

7. Sword Poke - Even without the sword spin, I feel like adding this as a default move like in LTTP would make the dungeon secrets feel a little fairer

8. Moldorm (LTTP) bosses - just because I know you'll be able to come up with good ones. For starters, how about his tail dropping fire or even Wizzrobe fire circles? Oh and please throw in fire-breathing Lynels on the overworld for good measure

9. Sluggulas - I'm imagining

L1 - Fire (at Sluggula frequency, not Fire Zols)

L2 - Bomb

L3 - 8-way fire

Level Max -> Super Bomb

10. Wizzrobes, Angry eye slug things, etc. with ice attacks and laser beam attacks (basically if you're in the way you get hit)

11. Dark Link Bosses - I'm imagining this as each one having a default ZC item as their attack, but I just really really wish that some boss could use din's fire

12. Wizzrobe boss class

13. Player Skins - This would help streamers identify themselves, no? I wonder if you can actually read from an external image file to ZC, but adding some generic ones would be cool too. I'd imagine for the shields they could be superimposed as translucent images or you could just tell the player "pretend they have a shield".

Sorry for the wall of text.

• CimFighter likes this

#6 CimFighter

CimFighter

CimFam/Writer

• Members

Posted 29 April 2018 - 12:28 PM

I can tell you that this demo ran smoothly as I ran into no bugs at all. Great job with this.

I definitely agree on the pebble/stone agony one. It would be a good idea to implement that

#7 HeroHyrum

HeroHyrum

Generic angsty teenager

• Members

Posted 01 May 2018 - 11:35 PM

So what you're telling me its gonna take me like a monthe to complete this? WOOHOO!!!

#8 Spelunker

Spelunker

So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish

• Members

Posted 05 May 2018 - 08:27 PM

I picked up a sword (silver sword that fires triple sword beams [I think]). I can't find it in my inventory now.

I'd post an image of it but since it disappeared, I can't.

#9 Ryunaker

Ryunaker

Junior

• Members

Posted 05 May 2018 - 11:29 PM

That probably is in the Ex 4 menu. You have to select a slot, then select a weapon you want to put in that slot.

#10 Spelunker

Spelunker

• Members

Posted 06 May 2018 - 08:32 AM

That probably is in the Ex 4 menu. You have to select a slot, then select a weapon you want to put in that slot.

I looked through the entire Ex4 menu and it still wasn't there.

And there have also been other items that don't show up in the Ex4 menu.

Edited by Spelunker, 06 May 2018 - 10:35 AM.

#11 Ryunaker

Ryunaker

Junior

• Members

Posted 06 May 2018 - 10:26 PM

I looked through the entire Ex4 menu and it still wasn't there.

And there have also been other items that don't show up in the Ex4 menu.

I am just checking to confirm, are you referring to the menu that comes up when you hit Ex 4?  (Which is only one screen?)  Or are you also referring to the menu that comes up once you select an item on that screen, that brings up a much larger list of items that can be scrolled by moving down through the list?

#12 Spelunker

Spelunker

• Members

Posted 07 May 2018 - 08:43 AM

I am just checking to confirm, are you referring to the menu that comes up when you hit Ex 4?  (Which is only one screen?)  Or are you also referring to the menu that comes up once you select an item on that screen, that brings up a much larger list of items that can be scrolled by moving down through the list?

Both actually, the items don't show up in either menu.

#13 Ryunaker

Ryunaker

Junior

• Members

Posted 08 May 2018 - 12:56 AM

I just wanted to make sure, because I've never had it happen, without it at least showing up on the second list, though that doesn't mean there isn't a bug here.

#14 Matthew Bluefox

Matthew Bluefox

Meow

• Members

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:04 AM

It would be sweet if we could choose the Classic Tileset alternatively to the Alpha Tileset. :)

Edited by Matthew Bluefox, 16 May 2018 - 07:07 AM.

#15 KurokiKazeFFU

KurokiKazeFFU

• Members

Posted 09 June 2018 - 10:51 PM

quick question... is infinite arrows and bombs enabled? i ask mainly because i found both the Infinite Bomb Bag and the Red Quiver which i think is the magic quiver. mainly i ask because i don't have the 0A next to them. =/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users