Most Liked Content

#878890 What is Love?

Posted by Rambly on 15 January 2014 - 09:11 AM

Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more

edit: Would just like to say it astounds me that something that took two brain cells and five seconds to post has the most likes of any post on the site

• Magi_Hero, Espilan, DCEnygma and 28 others like this

#882049 Congratulations, Evan20000!

Posted by nicklegends on 31 January 2014 - 08:59 PM

(Direct link: http://youtu.be/sgmVoBB_Hh8)

• Rambly, DCEnygma, Nathaniel and 25 others like this

#891427 I'm stuck in Zelda's Butt

Posted by The Satellite on 25 March 2014 - 12:19 AM

This topic's title is amazing.

• Espilan, Rambly, DCEnygma and 24 others like this

#1026527 Kokiri Forest

Posted by Sheik on 10 August 2017 - 06:40 AM

Hey guys and gals.

I thought I'll throw in another update. This time I want to share the daytime, present map for the Kokiri Forest. Let me know what you think about my take on the area! Without further ado:

gUJ6rBm.png

• Espilan, Rambly, thepsynergist and 24 others like this

#878902 What is Love?

Posted by Hergiswi on 15 January 2014 - 10:49 AM

My theory is that everybody came to this thread to make the same post as Rambly and realized it had already been done.

• Ben, Magi_Hero, Rambly and 21 others like this

#1064749 State of ZC Development (very important read)

Posted by Nightmare on 16 August 2021 - 02:16 PM

Unfortunately, after a very serious turn of events involving some unprofessional behavior, it was deemed by a unanimous vote of other developers and AGN staff that Zoria's health no longer permits him to continue as the head of Zelda Classic development outright and a change has to be made for the betterment of the project.

Now, what this means is that a line of succession has been put into place, and the project has been forked.  No one has been fired, let,go, or demoted outright.  Zoria will continue on his own fork if he desires,and if he recovers and redeems himself, he can still be a valuable asset to the community.  As his friend, I still believe in him.

But with the impending ROMUniverse copyright case and stall in development and the 6th Contest Contest, in the better interest a new fork has been set up and a council has been set up to regulate Zelda Classic development.  They will not have access to the DAT files that AGN once had, though with a later read, it is for the best.  This three-headed Hydra will be addressed in a different post.

The new ZC Council is:

Nightmare - Acting ZC Head

SyrianBallaS - Day to Day Development

Emily - Project Head/Development

Dimi - Developer

Tim/Naturesucks - Advisor/Webmaster/Discord Master/all around good guy

The final decision on a head will be up to the community, but will not be made at this time.  To deal with this mess:

Zoria will continue with his fork.  No one is stopping him.

"Zelda Classic 2.53.1" will be fixed slightly and released as-is."

"Zelda Classic 2.53.2" will be made to run with the 6th Quests and released.  No further long term support for it besides fixing nasty bugs.

The name of the project will then change to "ZC" and all Nintendo 1st party material will then be removed.  There will be one final alpha, "Zelda Classic 2.55 A-F" to hold over, then the devs will get a long-deserved break of six months (they will still be free to work if they choose).  There will be no new feature requests for 2.53.1, 2.53.2, or 2.55 A-F and the New Feature forum is to be suspended immediately.

After the break:

A new tileset and DAT will be introduced and mandatory, which will be worked on during the break.

We will work on original music.  If we can't we will use 3rd party music that's non-Disney.

The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Quests are out.  The 1st and 2nd Quests are owned by Nintendo, and AlphaDawg is out of contact. 

4th and 5th are being determined.

6th is up to the developers.

As the last of the original three that started the project and the last active, this was going down the rabbit hole and action was warranted.  I will be dealing with the consequences of it and I believe a fork is the path of least resistance.  Chris Miller and War Lord will be informed when the dust settles and all the ducks are put in a row.

Sincerely yours

"Nightmare" James Sorge

• Magi_Hero, Rambly, Nathaniel and 21 others like this

#1010410 Server Migration (and my Retirement)

Posted by LinktheMaster on 26 November 2016 - 12:22 PM

Hello everyone! For everyone in the US, I hope you had a good Thanksgiving! And for everyone, I hope you all have been enjoying the much better holiday of the release of a new Pokemon game. :P

I know it's not typical for the staff to announce their retirement (especially in an announcement) and I'm honestly not the type to want to make a big fuss over it, but I figured you all deserve to officially know. Over the years I've unfortunately felt myself drifting away from Zelda Classic and the PureZC community. I've loved this place, and it's been my home online for around 12-13 years. I have a lot of memories here with a lot of amazing people. However, all things tend to come to and end, and lately I've found myself having other priorities and interests in life, and I haven't been able to give PureZC the attention it deserves, and I don't really want to string you all along into thinking that I'm here when I'm not. Granted, I don't plan on vanishing completely, but I doubt I'll be very active outside of GD and GE.

With my departure from the staff, I am leaving the site in the very capable hands of the staff, and I've been working on trying to give them more access to some things that they may need in my absence. Part of this process involves me transitioning PureZC over to another server (the former beta server). With this migration, I've been able to clean up a couple things up a bit, isolate PureZC on its on environment, as set things up to allow giving the keys to someone else. Furthermore, it's getting PureZC out of the Linode datacenter which has been plagued with lots of DDOS attacks, so hopefully this will also give the site some more stability.

I'm planning for this migration to happen tomorrow morning around 7am EST. I don't expect any issues with the transfer process, but as there are some DNS configuration changes, it may take a while for people to get directed to the new site.

I'll make a post when the updates are done tomorrow, but otherwise, thanks for everything, everyone. :)

(P.S. Since I assume that it'll come up at some point, Nick and I are hoping to release what we've done on Fairy Dream to the public in the future, as well as release an unpassworded version of it with all of our scripts.)

• 4matsy, Magi_Hero, thepsynergist and 21 others like this

#1053579 New Staff Members!

Posted by David on 03 April 2020 - 02:46 PM

Finally the moment everyone's been waiting for...

But, before we reveal the new staff members, we'd just like to quickly thank everyone who has submitted this time around! We received many applications from really good candidates and it was tough to select only four out of the potential selections. We really hope those that weren't selected will consider applying in the future!

With that out of the way, please welcome Joelmacool, Matthew, Dimi, and Xavier (a30502355) as our new PureZC moderators! We are excited to have each and every single one of them on the team and we're confident that they will perform wonderfully with their new roles.

Congratulations to each of you! :)

• ShadowTiger, Magi_Hero, Neppy and 20 others like this

#980085 Most attractive video game character

Posted by Tabletpillow on 10 November 2015 - 10:30 PM

Title not specific enough, so

Magnetsprite.png

• ShadowTiger, Magi_Hero, DCEnygma and 19 others like this

#1023138 *pokes head in*

Posted by Radien on 13 June 2017 - 09:21 AM

Hello there... Um.... Remember me? Name's Radien... Dance of Remembrance tileset, New BS, buncha loose tiles.

Also dropped in at least a year ago saying I wanted to return to ZC. Had a really good reason for my absence — got married, moved out, got a full-time job — but didn't stick around.

Lately I've been chatting with Reflectionist, who hit me up for some quest advice and feedback, and it has really got me missing this place. On top of getting Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess HD, and... ohhh... some oddball Zelda mountainclimbing game, it was too much to keep away from PureZC.

How've you all been? :) I trust you're still as busy creating Zelda quests as ever. The General Discussion forum has been dormant since January, but the ZC subforums seem alive and well. I know when I first began creating Zelda quests, before I even found PureZC, I didn't even let the lack of a forum stop me when I first began, so I'm sure nostalgia will fuel this fandom for awhile.

To tell the truth, I've been a bit ashamed about coming back. I guess you could say I had (yet another) good reason for my absence, but I felt really bad for making promises I couldn't keep.

You see, the replacement computer I was planning on using to return to questmaking was a Frankenstein of a PC, that just got less and less reliable until it was unusable. And my wife's only PC was a work-from-home computer for a job she has quit.

Right now I don't have any way of creating quests, and doing tile work on a smartphone is just ridiculous. But I miss you guys, and I'd like to be back and active here while I figure out a replacement computer.

I see my tiles and at least the remnants of my tileset are still being used, and that makes me happy. ^_^

So how are all of you? What old faces are still here? Any new faces who give a crap about me?... How about any awesome projects I should hear about?

Oh, also, anyone play that new Zelda game? “Breathe on the Wind,” or something like that? I hear it's decently okay. ;)
  • 4matsy, Magi_Hero, Rambly and 19 others like this

#995085 Rules for Reviews and Ratings

Posted by Aevin on 18 April 2016 - 05:20 PM

After a recent topic and several staff discussions, we have decided to add rule #12 to the Site and Forum Rules to clarify our expectations for ratings and reviews. Most of this isn't new, but we wanted to make it clear that yes, we expect you to play quests and try other submissions yourself before rating them.

This by no means requires you to play a whole quest, of course. If you lose interest or rage quit, by all means share your experience in a review. But if you haven't played any of the quest yourself, your impressions from quest projects or let's plays would make more sense in the comments.

If you see any ratings or reviews breaking these rules, please use the report function to let us know.

------------------------------------------------

12. Be considerate with reviews and ratings.

Reviews should reflect your own opinion after trying a database submission for yourself. In the case of quests, it's recommended that you at least play in a few dungeons (depending on the format of the quest), but more complete playthroughs are ideal. Do not rate quests based solely on viewing a Let's Play or on the description, screenshots, or quest project alone. Music submissions need to be listened to. Scripts should be at least tried in an example quest. Tilesets and loose tiles should be tried for yourself, unless a significant portion of the tiles are displayed in the screenshots. Any reviews that rate the submission without trying it first will be removed.

Database entries should be rated with your own personal opinion, not to "correct" other peoples' ratings. Do not rate things higher or lower than you normally would with the intent of undermining other members' reviews or adjusting the overall score. Reviews that do this will be removed.

Constructive criticism is of course encouraged in reviews, but please try to be respectful of the person who submitted it. Remember that in the end, we're a community mostly of amateurs doing this for fun. Just like with other areas of the forum, harassment will not be tolerated in the reviews and comments on a submission.

• ShadowTiger, Magi_Hero, Anthus and 18 others like this

#977794 Zelda Classic 2.50.2

Posted by Saffith on 22 October 2015 - 11:49 PM

This is it. No betas, no release candidates. See shardstorm.com (since build 1703) for changes since 2.50.1.

Downloads
  • nicklegends, Mani Kanina, Shane and 18 others like this

#1075125 Regarding the ZC Developer Dispute

Posted by Matthew on 07 October 2023 - 06:55 PM

Dear PureZC Members,

The past few weeks have been challenging for our community, to say the least. The ZC monetization discussions, GitHub ownership disputes, and resultant fallout between former and current developers have placed a heavy burden on PureZC.

For better or worse, it has come to the staff's attention that several members of the community are determined to prolong the conflict against ZC's active developers.

The PureZC staff had previously stated that we would be willing to provide a space for critical developments regarding the ZC developer disputes. However, we no longer believe that the party accusing ZC's current developers of wrongdoing or harm have any valid arguments to present. The developers have reached out to GitHub regarding their policy on organization disputes. Their response is attached.

Github response

The developers have also informally consulted a few people experienced with open source licensing, namely the GPL. The consensus is that the reason cited for invoking the termination clause is unfounded. They have also reached out to the Software Freedom Conservancy for a hopefully definitive answer, but have not gotten a response yet.

As a consequence, PureZC staff are no longer willing to platform discussion accusing current developers of malicious intent. We will maintain this position unless serious, well-substantiated, and relevant evidence is presented -- evidence that would bear significant implications for the PureZC community. We remain unconvinced that such evidence will emerge.

PureZC is not meant to be used as a battleground for disputes between former and current developers. We expect our members to resolve any interpersonal conflicts in private and refrain from bringing unnecessary turmoil onto the site. We hope that our community members find this position to be agreeable and justifiable for preserving the integrity of the community.

Best wishes,
- PureZC Staff

• ShadowTiger, Anthus, Twilight Knight and 18 others like this

#1064637 The Cambria Tileset

Posted by Matthew on 13 August 2021 - 01:10 PM

A compilation of dozens of community-sourced assets, edits, and palettes...

qXrxYtZ.png

• • •

What is Cambria?
Cambria is a tileset created by Shane and I, with the help of countless community members. Our goal was to compile years worth of classic-styled assets into a single cohesive package, set up for immediate use.

Why make Cambria?
Many wonderful graphics have been created by many people, but these graphics end up buried in private Discord PMs, servers, or even on the loose tile database. By creating Cambria, Shane and I have put the best of these assets in one place, saving you hours of headache when it comes to setting up a pretty classic quest from scratch!

Whose work is Included?
The credits list is fairly lengthy. A bulk of the custom assets were created by members such as Shane, Joelmacool, Jenny, Lightwulf, Anthus, and TheBlueTophat. I have personally spent many hours editing existing graphics for use in this set.

When will it be ready?
The tileset is basically already complete. There are some minor tweaks that I could stand to make in the organization of tile pages, but what you see here is more or less final. That said, the answer to, "when will this be ready," is given in the next section...

What's the point of this thread?
I am making this thread to not only showcase Cambria, but also to provide a download of an open beta for the set. It can be easy to overlook some necessary features during development. My hope is that interested users will mess around with Cambria and provide feedback concerning how to improve the tileset, and then I will submit it to the database.

Enough BS, what does it look like?
Click here to view an imgur album. Alternatively, have a look below!

sSKHOfN.png    5JOM2GQ.png    fJCfwQA.png

ol9axrc.png    wzrdEhp.png    LCVE8gQ.png

aUt4VPU.png    VerR4ze.png    PwlpAO4.png

sutnNHN.png    vEqE34X.png    bZ6akdK.png

PbTkLeX.png    feuFEYf.png    IihqWN5.png

Download Link
Download the tileset here. Credits are bundled in. Thank you for your time and attention! 

IMPORTANT NOTE!

The set was made in 2.53 but should be forwards compatible. We plan an alternate version of the set for the new ZC 2.55 fork, spearheaded by Emily and Dimi. Ideally, this 2.55 version will be the new default ZC tileset.

• ShadowTiger, bigjoe, Rambly and 18 others like this

#1052879 A new admin? Who could it be? ...

Posted by Aevin on 07 March 2020 - 05:27 PM

It's David. Aren't clickbait titles wonderful?

Please join me in welcoming David to the admin team. Recently, he has been invaluable in helping with events such as the Superlatives and the Expo, and has been an important voice in staff discussions that have taken place behind the scenes. He's also a very positive and thoughtful person who has served the community well for many years. Russ and I are happy to have him join us and do all the work.

In many ways, he's already been performing the duties of an admin for quite awhile, now. This promotion made perfect sense as a way of simplifying things and rewarding his hard work.

• ShadowTiger, Neppy, Nathaniel and 18 others like this

#1036761 Eddy Finished AR3

Posted by Eddy on 14 April 2018 - 02:55 PM

Yep, that's right. I've officially completed the quest. I got all the feedback I needed from my testers and I fixed up all the issues I came across, so I'm now in a state to finally release the quest (which should be up very shortly). I'll probably update the quest in the future when a certain script gets done, but I figured I don't want to wait anymore and it won't affect too much anyway, so I'll just go right ahead and inactivate this project and release the quest.

Thanks for the support from everyone and my testers, I really appreciate it :D
  • ms_zelda_lady, Gendof, Anthus and 18 others like this

#1019717 Back or whatever.

Posted by Lüt on 21 April 2017 - 12:53 AM

This thread is art.

Which is precisely why, upon reading it, I immediately contacted my primary watercoloring contractor and commissioned this wooden wall hanging to add to my gallery:

Spoiler

• ShadowTiger, Magi_Hero, Espilan and 18 others like this

#1006067 Phoenix, A Link to the Past inspired tileset

Posted by FireSeraphim on 15 September 2016 - 03:30 AM

Phoenix%20Thread%20Header.png

Welcome to the official thread for my WIP Phoenix Tileset! As a few of you may be already aware, I've been working on this tileset for roughly a week now (And this is impressive since I have gotten ALOT done in that small time frame, although it may still need testing). And now for some Q&As and some exposition for those reading this thread so people will know what to expect.

Q: What is your goals with this tileset?

A: Simply put, I am hoping to make my own take on a "ALTTP Plus" styled tileset that's actually fairly faithful to (some of) the stylistic sensibilities of ALTTP while adding some polish here and there.

Q: Anything peculiar we should know about this tileset

A: Yep, I feel that I need to inform you that for the overworld I'm using tiles that have been condensed or scaled down to account for the actual size scale of a 16x16 pixel sized Link, but the dungeon and interior tiles will retain their full scale from ALTTP and before you claim this is inconsistant I will point out there is actual prior precedent in the LOZ series for this in good ol' Zelda 1 on the NES and I think it works here as well. 'Fore you all start worrying this tileset will not be another Pure.

Q: Do you have a release plan of sorts?

A: Infact I do, This tileset will be released in three phases

• Phase 1 - "Light World"   which will include alot of basic overworld tiles, interior tiles, cave tiles (and palette), most of the usable dungeon tiles, unique light world tiles that have never been ripped before, the palettes for the Light world (Overworld), Hyrule Castle, Hyrule Castle's Basement (it's palette is actually shared with the Dark World's very own Swamp Palace), The unique and never before ripped palette for the Sanctuary (Yep, the Sanctuary actually has it's own palette), The Eastern Palace, The Desert Palace, The Ice Cave (It's palette is shared with the Dark World's Ice Palace) and the Tower of Hera
  • Phase 2 - "Dark World"   which will include dark world tiles, including those that have never been in any other set before, The palletes for the Dark Palace, Skull Woods, Thieves Town/Gargoyles Domain, Ganon's Tower and the Pyramid of Power (The Pyramid has it's own palette as well)
  • Phase 3 - "Realm of the Heavens"   which will include what unique little bits was recently ripped from Four Sword Adventures (and any potential future ripped assets that might be made in the interim) as well as bits and pieces of my unique reworking of some of the tiles from Crusader of Centy (obviously only the stuff that wouldn't have too much trouble fitting into ALTTP) and other tiles that fit into Phoenix's artstyle

Q: Can we see some screenshots?

A: Sure.

Phoenix%20Screenshot%20Bundle.png

• Neppy, thepsynergist, judasrising and 18 others like this

#1076690 2.55 Official Release

Posted by Russ on 25 February 2024 - 11:00 PM

This isn't technically a site announcement, but seeing as it's a pretty big deal that affects all of our users, we figured it warranted one. As a lot of you are probably aware, 2.55 has been officially released! You can download it from the new ZC Official Website here. For those who haven't played around with the alphas and need a quick recap of what's new, the devs have graciously provided a basic overview of new features here. Additionally, the official 2.55 Quest Contest is now underway, so head here to download the entries and vote for your favorite!

The development of 2.55 has been a massive undertaking over a decade in the making, and has seen the loss of a lead dev, the upgrading of the engine to Allegro 5, a massive rewrite of the GUI, and a plethora of features previously considered impossible. We'd like to extend our appreciation to the current dev team: Emily, Connor, Deedee, and Moosh. All four of them - and Emily and Connor especially - have been instrumental in making this happen. Give them all a (virtual) round of applause!

This year also marks the 25th anniversary of ZC. We've come a whole long way since that initial 1.0 release, and it's been incredible watching a lot of that history unfold. Here's to another 25 years!

• Rambly, Shoelace, Anthus and 17 others like this

#1061499 I Lied...

Posted by Matthew on 14 April 2021 - 05:52 PM

...about the December release, and that is O.K!

~ The Edge of Hope: Progress Report 2(?) ~

Just a bit of a light update here; most of the scripts needed to complete the project are implemented, either written by me or taken from the database. I plan on releasing my scripts once the quest is finished. One that will be of particular use is a minigame timer script.

Regarding dungeons, I've finished three out of seven. It takes me about a week or two per dungeon, so make of that what you will. The overworld has come along nicely as well, as have interiors.

fFayIzx.png5TAq3vU.png5PgLIIL.png

Levels 1, 2, and 3, respectively.

The final product is looking to be pretty story-driven over all, so I think that's how I'll classify the quest (even though such labels tend to be a bit vague). The basic premise of the quest is something of a spoiler, but know that the beginning won't seem particularly foreign; a queen needs your help, and as the hero, you set out to do her bidding...

1A0Azy6.pngOhVzGQM.png

Sneak-peek of the intro sequence.

Ideally, this will have around 10 - 12 hours of playtime, but before testers get their hands on it, there's no way to know for sure.

Thanks to everyone (Shane, Ether, Ywkls, Ambient Silence, and The Labyrinth), for all the feedback, support, and kind words so far. It's been half a decade since my last quest, and I'm eager to impress with this one. Before I end off, have a look at the new title screen!

tFkRDPB.png

• Anthus, Twilight Knight, Mitchfork and 17 others like this