Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#16 DCEnygma

DCEnygma

you're going to have a bad time

• Members

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:37 AM

I have a Surface Pro 2 running Windows 8.1 that I plan to upgrade to Windows 10 as a trial system. If I like how it runs and have no major compatibility issues, I'll probably install it on my main PC as well.

#17 HavoX

HavoX

Has more posts in Doomworld than in PureZC

• Members

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:00 AM

I forgot to mention.

For those of you that can't stand that nagging "Get Windows 10" icon, you might find that it seems impossible to hide it from the taskbar normally, because it comes right back.

There are however a few ways to get rid of it, including using AutoRuns, but the simplest way is to use this tool.

It's from the makers of Windows Repair (All in One), too, so you can't go wrong. (You do need administrative privileges to use this, obviously.)

• ShadowTiger likes this

#18 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:58 AM

I've used the preview for some time and it's really pretty much just a blend of 7 and 8 in terms of usability. It's not horrible, I guess. I might upgrade to the final build a week or so after release day, because I expect there to be some problems with AMD hardware (there always are, for some reason.)

• Magi_Hero likes this

#19 Joelmacool

Joelmacool

Addicted to Overwatch

• Moderators

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:19 AM

I'm a windows 7 user, and my reply to windows 10 is:

• Magi_Hero, thepsynergist, SyrianBallaS and 1 other like this

#20 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:24 PM

The free update is nice, but there better be an option to have it EXACTLY like windows 7. No metro menu, no charms menu, etc. Just regular windows 7, but with the faster speed of windows 8.

• SyrianBallaS and FalsePower like this

#21 Logos

Logos

Gnome Child

• Members

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:50 PM

Well, it looks good, but my cousin recently got an update for windows 10. Ever since he got it, his computer has taken EXTREMELY long to boot up, and the host process takes up nearly 100% of his CPU. So I haven't heard very good things.

• Joelmacool, DaLink and SyrianBallaS like this

#22 DCEnygma

DCEnygma

• Members

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:18 AM

Well I rarely recommend people fully commit to any newly released OS. That's why I'm going to try it out on just one system initially before rolling it out any further. Also, anyone using it right now is using development builds, so it's not likely those issues will exist when launch happens.

• ShadowTiger and Logos like this

#23 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 15 July 2015 - 01:57 PM

I'm probably going to wait for a week or two after the release to make sure nothing horrible has cropped up and then upgrade my Windows 7 PC (assuming it lets me since I haven't downloaded the updates to let me check that yet). So I'm going to be a gambling early adopter.

While Windows 8 definitely wasn't my cup of tea because of the GUI, it did have optimizations and features that I really wish I had with Windows 7. What I've kept up with for Windows 10 has actually kind of excited me as well. It's the same type of excitement I felt when Windows 7 was in development, though I skipped out on the preview releases this time around because I didn't want to fool with multi-booting.

I'm positive that it won't be a super easy transition for me since I completely skipped 8 and 8.1 (7 is still really solid and I didn't want to shell out money for 8 because of that), but I'm gonna give Windows 10 a shot. If I end up not liking it, I can work something else out. But I'm optimistic since Microsoft has been gathering a lot of user feedback through the testing and putting it to use. :shrug:

• HavoX and Logos like this

#24 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 15 July 2015 - 03:53 PM

Windows 10 will be easy to acclimate to if you used Windows 7 or older, though I haven't experienced the redesigned Control Panel.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 15 July 2015 - 03:53 PM.

• HavoX likes this

#25 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 15 July 2015 - 04:33 PM

Eh... I didn't mean to imply it'd be hard as in "oh god I don't know where anything is and can't find it this isn't even remotely familiar I can't use this at all!" Windows just has a habit of moving major and minor things around between versions (sometimes it's for good reasons, sometimes it's not) and I have two versions of that to catch up with along with getting up-to-date on the features I ended up missing with Windows 8 that are still in Windows 10.

Overall, I'm pretty sure Windows 10 is still Windows. It looks like it more so than Windows 8 did anyway. So it's not like it's going to be a hard experience to find everything. But it's kind of like suddenly driving a new car after driving a different one that was slightly dated for several years. All the basic functions are there and most of them are even in the same general places, but there are definitely differences that will trip up habits that you formed with the previous car and there might be some surprises you didn't expect.

Or I could be terrible at analogies. :blah:

#26 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 July 2015 - 12:29 AM

I just don't understand why something actually worthy competed against Windows so they can stop trying to overprice their operating systems to begin with.

The fact that the most basic of Windows 7 and Windows 8 is still over $100 is simply criminal in my opinion. Microsoft certainly controls the market when it comes to operating systems.
  • SyrianBallaS likes this

#27 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 16 July 2015 - 02:00 AM

I just don't understand why something actually worthy competed against Windows so they can stop trying to overprice their operating systems to begin with.

The fact that the most basic of Windows 7 and Windows 8 is still over $100 is simply criminal in my opinion. Microsoft certainly controls the market when it comes to operating systems.

You don't know the half of it.

Lemme tell you a story, why I won't be buying another Windows product again (though, that doesn't mean I don't use it >.>)

One day, my hard drive died.  Gone.  All my music that I made for over a decade.  So, I go through the process of attempting to reinstall Windows.  The key that my computer came with didn't work.  I figured, sure, it's one of those OEM one-use keys.  Still lame, I thought to myself, as my hard drive failing wasn't my fault, and even if I did get a new hard drive, and migrated my old files onto it, the problem would have still existed.

Fast forward to me getting on the phone with Microsoft's assistance number (it's bad, don't do it).  They give me the run-around, and after me being on the phone for an hour, they offer to sell me an OEM key for $50.  I was fairly internally-irate at that point, and I kindly told the service representative that I wasn't interested.  I should have recorded the call, he was so desperate to get me to buy a key.

So, after all that nonsense, I just ended up pirating it, because I honestly didn't feel like dealing with all that BS for a problem that shouldn't even exist.  So, my computer fails and I have to rebuy Windows?  How about no...I've bought enough Windows licences to last me a while.

I've had and used Windows as an OS since Win 3.1, and I just don't feel like supporting them financially anymore.  Whether or not someone disagrees with my thought process on the matter, I personally felt cheated, and didn't feel bad finding other ways of getting it.

If Windows 10 is all it's cracked up to be, great.  I just won't be using it, and I'll keep using Windows 7 until the next time my computer dies.

• SyrianBallaS and HavoX like this

#28 DCEnygma

DCEnygma

• Members

Posted 16 July 2015 - 06:28 AM

Considering the role your OS plays in your computers functionality, stability, and security, I don't really personally get why $100 is completely unreasonable. :shrug:

I mean, if you're willing to learn it, Linux is a very effective OS as well and costs nothing, and there's always Mac, which still has a sizable chunk of the marketplace. But with Mac you have to deal with Apple hardware prices, so have fun with that as well. That's something I don't get. Mac's products are notoriously overpriced, but because the OS "costs nothing" they get a pass on this one. People don't honestly think that none of the cost of those systems goes towards the proprietary OS, right? :P

• Kite and HavoX like this

#29 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:32 AM

Which Windows, thepsynergist? I had an OEM copy of Windows XP and after 3~ re-installs of Windows the product key stopped working, however:

- I could call them up and quote them a long string of numbers that the Windows Activation program provides for "over the phone activation"

- they'd ask me why I needed to activate again

- I'd respond that I had a virus or did a hardware upgrade and wanted to start fresh

- they told me a new code to enter in to the program and I was activated again

The phone call lasts 10 minutes at most.

I've reinstalled that copy of XP on a computer at least 10 times, if not more. On my dads computer he had a retail copy of XP and he's never had to do the phone activation thing. With Windows ME and older there's no real limitations, you can install a copy on as many machines as you wanted with a single product key.

With Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 I haven't run in to any activation issues either.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 16 July 2015 - 07:36 AM.

#30 HavoX

HavoX

Has more posts in Doomworld than in PureZC

• Members

Posted 16 July 2015 - 10:06 AM

I never got to use Win7 because I didn't see a need for it. In fact, I may have been one of the very few who have never had issues with Vista. (Although that was because it came with SP1, which resolved many issues it had at the time of release.)

My parents used to have XP installed. Once XP support ended, I convinced them to get a new OS, so my older brother got them Windows 8.1 for their computer. I'm not sure if they have their free Win10 reserved, though.

TL:DQ (too long; didn't quote)

That's a sad story. But it's another reason why folks should always back up their data, should the inevitable happen.

In fact, I had a 500GB backup Seagate hard drive years ago that came very dangerously close to biting the dust, but I caught it after taking a glimpse of the Event Viewer and immediately stopped using it before disaster struck.

I'm never going to buy from Seagate again. :aggravated:

Edited by HavoX, 16 July 2015 - 10:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users