Gigabytes terabytes

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:48 PM

I've so far started installing most of my games and having my videos I downloaded from the net on my computer I have 14GB of games, and 18GB of my downloaded programs and my documents (Mainly videos like AVGN and game videos :P) I still have a ton of space left... Really 900+GB of space is going to take some time filling up. :lol:

#17 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:11 PM

My Entire Tales of Xillia Playthrough Series (720p) = 400GB.

Though thanks to Sony Vegas, I can render my 720p videos at a much lower size.

Edited by Dawnlight, 17 February 2014 - 09:12 PM.

#18 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:38 AM

Games are the big one, though music takes a large chunk of it as well. I also have a fair amount of game footage I used for my Let's Plays that I haven't quite done anything with, so there's that too. >_>

#19 Haylee

Haylee

~ Hope of Energy Nede ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:49 AM

I've so far started installing most of my games and having my videos I downloaded from the net on my computer I have 14GB of games, and 18GB of my downloaded programs and my documents (Mainly videos like AVGN and game videos :P) I still have a ton of space left... Really 900+GB of space is going to take some time filling up. :lol:

Download every quest.

My question to you is, why are you just trying to waste disk space? I mean, with all that much space, you could just get what you want at your own pace, you don't need to waste it all immediately. o.o

#20 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:35 AM

Download every quest.

My question to you is, why are you just trying to waste disk space? I mean, with all that much space, you could just get what you want at your own pace, you don't need to waste it all immediately. o.o

There's a lot of stuff on my 32GB Flash Drive I needed to clear off so that's why and also I want access to all of my PC games at all moments when I get bored...

I just hated having to install a game when I want to play it so I'm by passing that :P

Though I'm kinda wasting space and kinda not I've come to a stop now I've got all the stuff I want on my computer for now.

It'll take me a long to fill these bad boys that's for sure xD 

#21 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:33 AM

I wonder how much space one would need if one downloaded EVERY quest, tileset, music, demo, etc from the database.

#22 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:44 AM

I wonder how much space one would need if one downloaded EVERY quest, tileset, music, demo, etc from the database.

I don't think anything more than 500 GB.  ZCs stuff isn't that taxing.

#23 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:58 AM

I was actually thinking far less than 500GB. Maybe not even reaching 50GB.

#24 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:06 PM

Hmm... Good question I'm taking a guess and it would be around 35 or 45 GB of data with all the quest, demos, midi, tiles, tilesets.

#25 Supindahood

Supindahood

Wizard

• Members

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:49 PM

Install more operating systems and dual/triple boot! Also, backups.

#26 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:23 PM

Yes backup your data on the same drive it's stored on (!)

#27 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:46 PM

Is it odd that I've never once made a backup of my system? I don't see no reason... it something happens to my computer I just format and re-install and if thats not an option just get another drive to install an OS on. :P  

#28 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:45 AM

You backup data you wouldn't want to lose. Things you cannot replace like projects, records, and pictures. I have a lot of things I wouldn't want to lose. Businesses actually have more space for backups than for usable data. It's called redundancy.

#29 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:33 AM

I backup hard to find programs and games, as well as music.

#30 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:39 AM

Just added a another 500GB Hard drive to my computer and now I have two of them... But what in world would someone need that much space on a computer... heck I'm trying its baffling to think of what I could store, I guess I can install a ton of games now.

Or store a ton of videos and music... gee wiz what am I to do with so much space. xD

Really though I can hardly fathom the idea of filling these drives, do any of you have huge hard drives if so what do you so with all that space?

You may vomit after reading this, but here is my space arrangement:

RAID Arrays:

Primary, SAS/SATA RAID 0+1, totalling 12TB in operation; 10.9TB after formatting, using eight 3TB WE RE3 drives (24TB / 2 for RAID-1) = ((12TB))

Secondary Arrays: 5x3TB WE3 drives, as RAID-5 (12tb); 4x 1TB 2.5" Drive RAID (4TB); 250GB RAID-1; 3.5TB RAID-5 = ((19TB, 750GB))

Hot Spares: 2x 3TB WE3; 2x 500GB ATA133; 1x 73GB SAS 15K; 1x 146GB SAS 10K. = ((7TB, 219GB))

System RAID: 1TB RAID-1 (1TB); 80GB RAID-1; 500GB RAID-1; 146GB SAS 15K RAID-0 = 1,750GB ((1TB 726GB))

SCSI-3: 4x 73GB SCSI-3 15K RPM; 2x 143GB SCSI-e 15K RPM. = 572GB 

JBOD Volumes: 2x750GB (1.5TB) System Drives in FMG5-1; 1x 2TB WE3 Drive in FMG5-2 (2TB); 4TB WE3 Data Volume; 2x1TB Data Volumes = 9.5TB

NAND: 3x 8GB; 2x16GB; 12x 32GB; 4x 64GB; 5x 128GB = 1,328GB (1TB, 304GB)

(((43TB, 1,023GB))) * .9 = ~40TB Formatted, leaving out drives that are not in use, and laptop HDDs, and space used up in RAID-1 and RAID-5 sets for mirror, and parity.

I have a gigantic media archive, plus graphic design (for print), server mirrors, system mirrors, and the like. Everything is mirrored at lest one time, so my total usable capacity is halved again, to about 20TB, of which, about 35% is video. Keep in mind that I need to keep several system images of the running servers on hand, which tend to be 500GB to 1TB files (per image). At present, I have between 7 and 10Tb used, just by those system images, and that does not include shared media such as video, as that is not mingled with user accounts, but isolated onto non-system RAID arrays.

I still remember when a 10MB HDD was gigantic. My, how things have changed.

'Too much space' is a fallacy. :/

I run servers, including streaming media servers, so this isn't purely for my own satisfaction. 95% of the disc media is enterprise rated, and the remainder is NAND or some small SATA or ATA drives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users