Is computer clean-up a scam industry?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16 LTTP

LTTP

LTTP

• Members

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:21 PM

Biggest reason I should add is it will delete inactive shit, thats still in use, which it shouldn't..
Which is really bad,,,,

#17 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:52 PM

Just a minor heads up:

Not every program that has Microsoft or Windows in front of its name is necessarily crap, or even inferior. For an antivirus, I'm quite proud of Microsoft Security Essentials. 

Edited by King Aquamentus, 24 August 2013 - 04:52 PM.

#18 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:19 PM

I grew up on DOS, Windows 95c and Windows 98 and learned pretty quick about the registry and how to manually navigate and resolve numerous issues within it. I've also got a fair bit of experience from back then with registry cleaner software that regularly BROKE other software, sometimes with disastrous results (Crashing the whole PC).

I did make use of software though, namely Norton's Utilities and later Norton's Systemworks both of which are excellent under Windows 95 and 98 but their products turned to crap when they released a version of the product that officially supported Windows XP (Systemworks 2004 onwards [Around the time Norton's was booted out of the company I believe]) and well, you've probably seen all the hate towards Norton's on various forums by now.

Anyways I basically don't use registry cleaning tools because I know how problematic it can be if it erases something it shouldn't, I also know that the registry has little impact in overall performance under Windows XP Service Pack 2 and newer Windows operating systems. Most performance degredation these days comes from an over abundance of background services, background processes and modification of system files.

Defragmentation isn't much of an issue either with Vista and newer operating systems as they automatically defragment your HDD in the background without you even being aware of it doing so. Most 3rd party software will say it isn't defragmented but that's mostly because they like to do stuff in a very slightly different manner like prioritizing frequently accessed data towards the outter edges of the disk platters or consolidating the unused space etc. so that they can show a nice neat visual of the HDD once complete.

Edited by franpa, 24 August 2013 - 08:31 PM.

• ShadowTiger and DCEnygma like this

#19 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:30 PM

Okay so I tweeted at Bill Gates' Twitter account asking if all computers were a scam to make people get antiviruses and registry cleaners and he didn't say yes so I think we're all in the clear (no, you don't have to thank me I'm just doing my job).  Can a moderator please lock this thread?  It's clearly no longer necessary.  Thanks

#20 LTTP

LTTP

LTTP

• Members

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:15 PM

Okay so I tweeted at Bill Gates' Twitter account asking if all computers were a scam to make people get antiviruses and registry cleaners and he didn't say yes so I think we're all in the clear (no, you don't have to thank me I'm just doing my job).  Can a moderator please lock this thread?  It's clearly no longer necessary.  Thanks

Back seat modding....
Don't go around telling mods to close threads u didn't make.

Annoys the hell out of people.

• Rambly likes this

#21 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:24 PM

LTTP- Seriously? Couldn't tell that was sarcasm? :P

Or are you being sarcastic? I'm confused. O.O

I for one would like to comment for the general population that doesn't clean up their computer at all and is constantly complaining about how slow they run. I didn't even now computers can be cleaned up. I should probably do that. :lol:

-Strike

#22 LTTP

LTTP

LTTP

• Members

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:33 PM

LTTP- Seriously? Couldn't tell that was sarcasm? :P

Or are you being sarcastic? I'm confused. O.O

I for one would like to comment for the general population that doesn't clean up their computer at all and is constantly complaining about how slow they run. I didn't even now computers can be cleaned up. I should probably do that. :lol:

-Strike

ahahahahahaha duh...
"I ask bill gates" pretty much gave it away.
At least I got someone :3

#23 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:43 PM

Actually I'm a computer manufacturer and I'm trying to get this thread locked because I'm scared the industry will collapse after its dark secret is uncovered once the discussion goes any further

Nah, I was just messing around.  Sorry to confuse!

#24 LTTP

LTTP

LTTP

• Members

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:35 PM

k gies, we gona get this thread closed so bill gates dont get us!!!

• Demonlink likes this

#25 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:13 AM

One of the few threads I seriously post in, and you guys want it locked.  xP  (I know you're kidding.)

I hope people still think that constant computer maintenence is needed so that I'll keep having incoming workflow.  xD

#26 LTTP

LTTP

LTTP

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:12 AM

Well, ppl who are to durp not to get viruses/spyware/rogues will always need someone to help them!
So I am sure ull keep making ur money :3

BTW if everyone keeps adding JK to their posts, it wont be as funny D:
i love when ppl take it seriously and post to defend it XD

Edited by LTTP, 30 August 2013 - 08:13 AM.

#27 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:21 AM

As long as BCK errors exist, computer techs will always be needed, even if all viruses everywhere were eliminated.

#28 LTTP

LTTP

LTTP

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:43 AM

As long as BCK errors exist, computer techs will always be needed, even if all viruses everywhere were eliminated.

dafuq is that?

#29 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:11 AM

BCK= Between the Chair and Keyboard

#30 LTTP

LTTP

LTTP

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:19 AM