Photo

Do you torrent?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Poll: .

Do you use BitTorrent services?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 27 September 2009 - 01:19 PM

Yes, very rarely. I once torrented Age of Empires, Age of Mythologies and The Sims 1, because I couldn't buy them anywhere.

Edit: And I torrented Stronghold Crusader's expansion pack once, since I couldn't buy that too. Now I can, but back then I didn't have bank transfer and such on my own and had to ask my mom. But that's all, I rarely download and I buy CD's from Queen, Aerosmith, The Police, UB40... I'm rather anti-downloading.

Edited by Twilight_Knight, 27 September 2009 - 01:26 PM.

#17 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 27 September 2009 - 01:23 PM

I do, but extremely rarely. Once, I tried to torrent the first season of Pokémon with Japanese audio and English subtitles... But the download speed was like, 2 Kb/s. ;_; So I gave up on that. Then a few months ago, I tried to torrent a few songs, which worked, but the file was corrupted or something, and the music didn't download correctly.

#18 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:25 PM

Once, and I regret. And that was just to get a song from Brawl to use in ZC. icon_razz.gif I don't do it for moral reasons, but even if it were legal, I wouldn't. Torrents are too dang complicated and slow.

#19 Old Inactive Member

Old Inactive Member

I'm back sorta.

• Members

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:47 PM

I hate torrents the only reason I us them is for garrysmod.org for my gmod addons since I have no other option deu to garry beig really dumb but I do t torrent anything so am I a yes or no since I don't Dow load stuff illeagly

#20 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 27 September 2009 - 06:26 PM

None of you seem to know how to properly get a torrent to compare with your download speed. I may or may not have to make a thread about how to make a torrent nice and fast.

#21 Eurysilas

Eurysilas

Paladin

• Members

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:22 PM

I wasn't aware it was possible to get it up to your download speed, since, if I understand BT correctly, "the more you give the more you get". I thought this meant that, at most, I could get half my download speed, since the other half would be consumed uploading file chunks to others. Prolly misunderstanding something, though.

#22 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 28 September 2009 - 01:05 PM

I don't. Well, it's more of a case of I can't. But still, if I could, I'd probably do it rarely.

Edited by Blaman, 28 September 2009 - 01:05 PM.

#23 ElLibertador

ElLibertador

Love and Peace

• Members

Posted 28 September 2009 - 01:57 PM

yeah It seems like most don't know. If you think torrents are slow, you are either using a bad torrent (low seeds), or have bad settings. I torrent at night so that I know no one will disrupt the connection and hence my torrent. Although torrents are usually the one eating the internet icon_razz.gif

#24 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 28 September 2009 - 02:16 PM

Yes, I download torrents. I mostly download video games. But not as you would think. I download them, like Wii, DS, or PSP games and all my systems are able to play burnt, or rom files, and pretty much see if I like them. If I do, sooner or later, I will buy a legit copy of the game, and get rid of the copy. As far as VC games I download, I hate paying for games I already own, like more then 3 copies of Super Mario Bros. 3, and I wanted it on VC, so yeah... I download full CD's also, but only until I can get to the store to buy the CD, or until it comes out. So yeah... >.>

#25 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 28 September 2009 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE(TMS @ Sep 27 2009, 12:13 AM) View Post
But, there are exceptions to when you can't torrent following these rules even if all requirements are met.

I have decided to go into the professional game design and programming field--something I've found myself to be rather good at. I have reviewed the terms of services backing many game engines, and each engine has a clause similar to the following: If you torrent/warez/etc. the engine, and you use the final product of what you create to make money, then you could be fined around ~$100 to ~$1000 per copy sold.

And since I'm going to be pro-designing, this just can't happen. I'll be commercially selling my work, and that's ... well, not a good idea. Besides, developing my own engine and creating a game with it is an extremely daunting task for a one-man band like myself. Therefore I'd rather legally buy it and pay $100 for the engine once than pay $1000 per copy sold later on.

In most cases nobody can prove that you used pirated software to create your projects. You could easily claim to have used a free alternative instead.

Also, $100 is vastly different from the multithousand dollar applications people buy from Adobe and Microsoft.

#26 MrMister

MrMister

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 28 September 2009 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE(Angeal @ Sep 28 2009, 12:16 PM) View Post

Yes, I download torrents. I mostly download video games. But not as you would think. I download them, like Wii, DS, or PSP games and all my systems are able to play burnt, or rom files, and pretty much see if I like them. If I do, sooner or later, I will buy a legit copy of the game, and get rid of the copy. As far as VC games I download, I hate paying for games I already own, like more then 3 copies of Super Mario Bros. 3, and I wanted it on VC, so yeah... I download full CD's also, but only until I can get to the store to buy the CD, or until it comes out. So yeah... >.>

My situation with BitTorrent is similar to this...

#27 lucas92

lucas92

Defender

• Members

Posted 03 October 2009 - 11:48 AM

I don't download games but I do torrent my music...

I hate pirating games because I'm always scared of viruses (even if it's safe).

#28 Old Inactive Member

Old Inactive Member

I'm back sorta.

• Members

Posted 03 October 2009 - 01:16 PM

I No longer torrent since i don't have a need to since garrysmod.org dosn't require torrents anymore.

#29 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 03 October 2009 - 05:18 PM

I torrent all of my music, unless I only want one or two songs...then I get it off some random website.
I also torrent Anime...and games - but I'll only download games if I don't have the console they need.

By the way, if you can't torrent very fast, just find a torrent with at least 3 seeds to every 2 leeches.

#30 Cameron

Cameron

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:09 PM

I don't torrent things for three reasons:
-I think it would be very cheap of me
-I feel guilty
-With my luck I would get caught, go to prison, and die

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users