Photo

Why do you use Windows?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Poll: The poll is here to simplify the gathering of data

Why do you use Windows?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

If you currently used Windows XP, would you upgrade to Vista?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

*If money was not an issue*, and you wanted to switch from Windows, or dual-boot it with another system, which would you switch to?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:21 PM

Believe it or not, I have to do a survey about this, gather data, and then report research back to a potential employer so they can evaluate me for a job. This is only one part of the project they've given me.

If you can, don't post in this thread unless you chose "Other" for one of the questions. I want to avoid any potential conflict.

(If you both choose "Other" and then say something like "I use Windows because Apple/Linux sucks," you're likely going to get warned for trolling because it could derail the thread. Baseless generalizations aren't going to fly here. If that's your reasoning, don't bother voting, either.)

If you don't actually use Windows at all, I'm going to have to ask you to just not post or vote. That's just the way it is. I am doing my best to keep this as objective as possible, and I'd appreciate it if you'd do the same.

#2 Koopa

Koopa

The child behind the turtle

• Members

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:38 PM

To question one: Games, as I said before.

Question two: I do plan on getting Win 7 if it's any good (looks like it will be). Vista - no.

Question three: I currently run dual Win XP Pro / Ubuntu (Xubuntu intrepid) and plan to keep things that way. Ubuntu is great for the internet (safety) and programming. Windows is THE gaming OS.

I don't know how much this is on topic, but I'd not want to use office 07 ever - except perhaps with the hack to restore the old-style interface. OpenOffice is the way I'll go.

#3 SwordOfSeals

SwordOfSeals

Peace now, food later

• Members

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:39 PM

I use Windows because it simply comes with the computer. Why did I buy a computer that came with Windows? Cheap. Getting say a Mac is way outside my price range ($800 or >$1500?).

If I didn't have to switch from XP to Vista, I wouldn't have, but I had to. My comp was originally XP with Vista upgradable. Before long, my speakers stopped working. I decided that I might as well go ahead and upgrade it since that should fix the problem. It did, but ugh...I wish I didn't have to. I hope Windows 7 is much, MUCH better.

If money wasn't an issue, would I switch? Probably not. Why? Windows is something I've grown accustomed to, so I don't feel the need to switch over. Windows would have to suck so bad for me to do that and/or a similar OS came up that allowed me to do nearly the same thing on Windows, minus the suckage.

#4 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:57 PM

I'm really happy with XP, love the amount of software/games are on it, wouldn't want to up(down)grade to Vista at all.

The one thing I've been wanting to do however is to dual boot windows XP and Linux. Problem is I only have a 40 gig HD and have barely got enough room on it with one OS. I plan on upgrading to a 250 gig pretty soon though so here's a question for the Linux users:

What is the best version of Linux? (Yeah I know, a 'best of' question, I apologize =P )

#5 Koopa

Koopa

The child behind the turtle

• Members

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:46 PM

Ask like that and you're likely to start a war. icon_smile.gif

I recommend Ubuntu, as its developers have gone to great efforts to make it user-friendly.

#6 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Contributors

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:00 PM

Because my CD burner keeps messing up the Ubuntu boot disk. icon_frown.gif

Really and truly, it's because of a combination of other reasons, the first and foremost being cost. Ubuntu Linux is free, but Mac operating systems are not and computers that are prepackaged with them are much more expensive than comparable Windows machines. Games do play a role as well, but it's more due to the availability of software in general. I am also very concerned with compatibility, and since the primary function of my PC is as a school tool, it doesn't make much sense for me to go to Mac or Linux. I understand that all of their respective programs work in generally the same file types (.doc, etc.) but there are still other concerns.

Really, it's just because everyone uses Windows and it isn't quite bad enough for me to justify extra spending/effort to learn another operating system- although dual-booting Ubuntu would be very nice. Even if money were not an option, I would stick with Windows, although I'd be much more tempted to dual-boot Mac OS's.

I would not "upgrade" to Vista, given the choice. Too many compatibility/privacy concerns for me to justify it.

#7 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:57 PM

Well, first off, this version was free, along with 64-bit XP Pro and Visual Basic, thanks to My university's MSDNAA program.

Secondly, I am a game enthusiast, and finding good, original games for Mac and Linux can be a little hard - not to mention the poor driver support.

Secondly, the concept of an open OS allows the ease of programmers to work with common languages, such as the variants of C, Java, and several module libraries. Mac tends to be more towards a closed OS, and Linux, while it has multi-language support and is used in many servers, has little visual support.

#8 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:36 PM

For poll one, I voted for "Because of the amount of games that run on Windows" especially cause I mostly use my computer for gaming, though also internet and crap.

For the second poll I voted "Maybe". My mother has Vista on her HP laptop, and I'd say that it does seem to have some advantages over XP, though it also feels downgraded copmpared to XP, I mean, XP just seems much easier to handle, and less of a crash dummy. Vista seems to be more media and graphics oriented to me, and less focused on things like backwards capability, and task managing. The only Windows OS that I think I would want to upgrade to is Windows 7, though I haven't even tried it yet, and I'm not exactly eager to try it either, I mean, it's in beta stage at the moment. icon_rolleyes.gif

And for third poll I voted for Mac OS X, cause I've heard that it's very stable. icon_smile.gif

Edited by HeavyTitanium, 17 February 2009 - 04:37 PM.

#9 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 17 February 2009 - 05:03 PM

If I could upgrade to Vista without breaking a sweat, and I had a computer that could sacrifice power to such an OS, yes, I would do it. The Vista question was the only question I answered "other" to, specifically because some games are Vista specific (i.e. they require DirectX 10) and I do game development using Direct3D.

#10 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:58 AM

1) I like gaming, Windows offers support for most games.

2) I will not upgrade to Vista, but I might upgrade to Windows 7. Windows 7 fixes a lot of minor regressions introduced since XP.

3) Linux is for noobs and I mean that literally.

#11 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:12 AM

I like Windows for a lot of reason. Mainly because I've been using it since Window's 95 (back when I was four years old and learning the basics). I don't want to learn another OS.

Yes. I did switch to Vista. And I love it. It's a lot better than XP.

And I do not want to double boot my computer. I like Vista, and I don't want another OS. Period.

#12 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 21 February 2009 - 06:16 AM

QUOTE(franpa @ Feb 18 2009, 07:58 AM) View Post

1) I like gaming, Windows offers support for most games.

2) I will not upgrade to Vista, but I might upgrade to Windows 7. Windows 7 fixes a lot of minor regressions introduced since XP.

3) Linux is for noobs and I mean that literally.

1) Ok, I can sympathise.
2) Don't blame you.
3) What drew you to this conclusion?

My votes were Other (don't use Windows), No, and A popular Linux distribution like Ubuntu(although, actually, I'm likely to experiment with Fedora Core and others.)

Edited by Alestance, 21 February 2009 - 06:18 AM.

#13 Soarin

Soarin

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 21 February 2009 - 08:52 AM

1: I don't want to take the time t learn a new os

2: I will never upgrade to vista.

3: I really don't see the point of having a dual boot. I am happy with just one OS and that is windows XP.

#14 Old Inactive Member

Old Inactive Member

I'm back sorta.

• Members

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:40 AM

1) Because of the amount of games that run on Windows that and i've been using windows for a long time and know a lot about how to work it

2) Yes beacause if i relly wanted to i could have downgraded but i don't want to i like vista (mabey beacsue I use Tweek Vista (this is not freeware))

3) Mac OS X beacsue I know a bit on how to work a mac and what ever Windows dson't do a Mac can plus it has gargeband icon_biggrin.gif

So yeah now you know why i hate it when pepole down Vista. If you want to run Vista Run The Ultimute Pack i have had no porblams with it

#15 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:20 PM

Grew up on Windows. But Vista failed hardcore. THough, I am not going to switch back to XP. I will just wait for WIndows 7 to come out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users