My own programming language

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 04 November 2008 - 10:29 PM

Even if it doesn't completely fall through, the idea has already been started, possibly for someone to finish.

PowerBracelet: There are a few Java statements that you could feed into a C compiler successfully, like "c++;" icon_razz.gif

Ironically, we'll probably use compilers to make compile compilers. icon_razz.gif

The hardest thing is probably going to be integrating Carbon with the rest of the language, while still maintaining some degree of system cross-compatibility. The other hard thing is going to be memory management. We probably won't allow dynamic memory allocation at first.

#32 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 07 November 2008 - 08:54 PM

First chat EPL meeting went very well. If you wish to help with EPL, the details are on page 2; we meet every friday at 7pm central time.

#33 Cameron

Cameron

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 04:05 PM

*Bookmarks EPL Blog* I would really like to get involved with this, but I've only just started learning Python (because of its simplicity), so I probably couldn't be much help. *sigh* icon_frown.gif

Edited by XxGamasterxX, 09 November 2008 - 04:07 PM.

#34 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 04:29 PM

I don't even know anything about python.

If you know anything about C, x86 ASM or Javascript, you can help.

Edited by Powerbracelet, 09 November 2008 - 04:29 PM.

#35 Cameron

Cameron

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 05:02 PM

I know a little about c++, but after I compared it to python I instantly made the switch

For example:
Input for C++:
CODE
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main ()
{
  cout << "Hello World!";
  return 0;
}

Output:
Hello World!

Input for Python:
CODE
print 'Hello World'

Output:
Hello World!

I thought, "If C++ pretty much replaced C and Python males C++ look obsolete then why use anything but Python?"

#36 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE(XxGamasterxX @ Nov 9 2008, 04:02 PM) View Post

why use anything but Python?"

Because a decent C++ compiler is easier to come by.

#37 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 05:57 PM

Not to mention that Python is an interpreted language... Meaning it's slower and less 1337. icon_razz.gif Actually, I've heard Python's pretty good for IRC bots.

#38 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 21 November 2008 - 07:01 PM

Okay, since I missed last week's meeting, I will try to get to this week's meeting.

If anyone wants to join, again, the details can be found on page 2.

EDIT: And I now learn that Beefster is getting surgery today.

Edited by Powerbracelet, 21 November 2008 - 08:28 PM.

#39 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:52 PM

I have a question, since I missed the meetings... will this be using a dual compilation method? It's a term I came up with to define what GCC does with C code: It takes the code, translates it into usable AT&T standard ASM, and uses the GNU Assembler (GAS) to assemble it into a working executable.

Will it be using that method, or will it be directly compiled? This method seems easier, as opposed to a direct compilation.

#40 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 22 November 2008 - 12:13 AM

QUOTE(TheMasterSwordsman @ Nov 21 2008, 10:52 PM) View Post

Will it be using that method, or will it be directly compiled? This method seems easier, as opposed to a direct compilation.

That was the general idea, yes. The theory was that you could directly convert your Iron code to C, so as to amend possible disadvantages to either one. And when it compiles, it uses the conversion to compile as C.

#41 CrystalBlade

CrystalBlade

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:57 PM

QUOTE(XxGamasterxX @ Nov 9 2008, 02:02 PM) View Post

"If C++ pretty much replaced C and Python males C++ look obsolete then why use anything but Python?"

Because the language is higher-level (closer to human-readable language and farther from machine-readable language; compare with the low-level ASM and the in-between C++/Java, etc.) it takes longer for the computer to translate it into machine-readable code, which mean that it is slower than lower-level languages, albeit simpler.

C++ is most certainly not obsolete.

#42 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 12 December 2008 - 08:03 PM

Hey, Beefster; if you're reading this, just know that as of late I've been rather busy and I haven't been able to make the EPL meetings. And please don't get on my case about waiting until now to mention this. Just know that I will make it whenever I can.

#43 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 13 December 2008 - 03:26 PM

Hey. What a coincidence. I forgot about last meeting and I couldn't even make two out of three before that.

#44 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 13 December 2008 - 03:34 PM

The only ones I've been able to make since the first one were yesterday's, and the day you had your surgery.

Either way, let's shoot for next week.

#45 Takuya

Takuya

spirit of fire

• Members

Posted 13 December 2008 - 07:46 PM

btw, C is not antiquated. C++ has not replaced C, nor has python replaced anything.

Lesse, C was designed for implementing system software, and at the level it is at, you cannot really get any simpler. It can use ASM functions, and writing an OS with object-oriented programming is not a good idea. (Libraries yeah, but core OS, no.)

Also, just because you can use a single line to print hello world does not mean it is better. The python could might possibly run in a slower time than the C one. ASM looks like hell, but it's insanely fast.

Don't judge the code by it's looks. The ugliest code could produce the most beautiful program. Also, if I may ask, are these meeting still held in #EPL on SLR?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users