What's your programming language?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 03 August 2007 - 10:27 PM

ASCII = American Standard Code for Information Interchange. I'm assuming you knew that. (That's what most text files are encoded in, most others are in Unicode/UTF-8 ). That's basically saying, I'm gonna learn how to use Notepad in college.

Edited by TheMasterSwordsman, 03 August 2007 - 10:27 PM.

#17 Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Wizard

• Members

Posted 03 August 2007 - 11:02 PM

icon_redface.gif icon_redface.gif icon_redface.gif icon_redface.gif icon_redface.gif icon_redface.gif icon_redface.gif icon_redface.gif icon_redface.gif icon_redface.gif icon_redface.gif icon_redface.gif icon_redface.gif icon_redface.gif Wow. I thought it was a way of programming images into HTML.

Edit: Ugghhh! My idiot sister posted for me while I was on the toilet. I actually say that I was going to study the coding that brings ASCII together. Besides, I personally am more interested in hard-wiring, like how the machine knows the really basic actions, like how to work with the processing system.

Edited by fuzzyman, 03 August 2007 - 11:13 PM.

#18 Questwizard

Questwizard

The Moldorm Guy

• Members

Posted 04 August 2007 - 07:06 AM

Well, as far as actual Programming languages go, I know C#, and I'm learning C++ and PHP stuff now. As far as any scripting type things go, I know GML, HTML, CSS, and ACS (Hexen/Doom Ports).

#19 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 04 August 2007 - 08:55 AM

Anyone here know ASP?

No one? Haha, LOL.

#20 Brandon1

Brandon1

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:49 AM

QUOTE(TheMasterSwordsman @ Aug 3 2007, 07:06 PM) View Post

Scary? How?

The fact you have to define a data type to almost every variable, why the **** I need to use "cout <<" couldn't it be something more meaning full like "print:", shesh. And specially its user unfriendliness. Among many other reasons...

Edited by Brandon1, 04 August 2007 - 09:49 AM.

#21 Fire Wizzrobe

Fire Wizzrobe

Master

• Members

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:03 AM

C, Python, and Ruby, of all which I know little of.

#22 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:16 AM

QUOTE(Brandon1 @ Aug 4 2007, 09:49 AM) View Post

The fact you have to define a data type to almost every variable, why the **** I need to use "cout <<" couldn't it be something more meaning full like "print:", shesh. And specially its user unfriendliness. Among many other reasons...

cout is just one method to print stuff. In fact, it's the most basic way. By using different libraries, you can use things like printf and other things. The reason you have to define a data type for every variable is because the computer has to set the amount of space for the data. You see, C++ is very powerful because the user specifies more than other languages. So yes, it might not be very "user friendly", but it makes up for that in being more efficient and powerful. icon_wink.gif

#23 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 04 August 2007 - 11:23 AM

This is very true. I believe that C++ is the first "I actually get it completely!" language I've done.

#24 Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Wizard

• Members

Posted 04 August 2007 - 02:21 PM

Ok. I admit it. I'm just a nerd who has absolutely no idea how to program. But isn't that what Zquest was made for?!?

#25 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 04 August 2007 - 05:20 PM

NO U... kidding.

It was made for Phantom Menace, who had no idea how big it was going to get. So he made it public.

#26 Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Wizard

• Members

Posted 04 August 2007 - 05:44 PM

Oh. I had believed PM made it for people who didn't have a clue when it came to coding.

#27 Koopa

Koopa

The child behind the turtle

• Members

Posted 05 August 2007 - 08:10 AM

C/C++ for me, and a fair working knowledge of allegro, wxWidgets, libcrypt and a bit of sdl too (those are all libraries in C/C++).
I also know and use perl a bit, and I've dabbled in assembly programming before. There's user-unfriendliness for you.
I grew up, so to speak, on QBASIC and I probably could still do it if forced to.
I know a tiny bit of HTML and PHP too - emphasis on "tiny".

What's much more important to me is to grasp the concepts behind programming, then you can apply it to almost any language.

#28 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 05 August 2007 - 12:27 PM

QUOTE(Koopa @ Aug 5 2007, 06:10 AM) View Post

What's much more important to me is to grasp the concepts behind programming, then you can apply it to almost any language.

Well said. Programming is a way of thinking more than anything else.

#29 Soarin

Soarin

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:07 AM

QUOTE(Koopa @ Aug 5 2007, 08:10 AM) View Post

C/C++ for me, and a fair working knowledge of allegro, wxWidgets, libcrypt and a bit of sdl too (those are all libraries in C/C++).
I also know and use perl a bit, and I've dabbled in assembly programming before. There's user-unfriendliness for you.
I grew up, so to speak, on QBASIC and I probably could still do it if forced to.
I know a tiny bit of HTML and PHP too - emphasis on "tiny".

Hey Koopa what is QBASIC?

#30 Koopa

Koopa

The child behind the turtle

• Members

Posted 07 August 2007 - 04:54 AM

It all started with quickbasic, which came free with DOS 6 and 7, it's a DOS form of basic with its own "development environment". You got the free games "gorilla" and "nibbles" (snake) with it as demos of what you could do with it.

QBASIC is a version that can also compile progams into .exe files. With the advent of Win95, it was superseded by visual basic.

Both quickbasic and QBASIC have wiki entries if you want to know more.

Just so you get an idea: this is QBASIC cult.
IPB Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users