Photo

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#61 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 05 August 2018 - 03:52 PM

Direct scheduled for August 8th, 10AM EST. Awesome but goddammit why so early, ah well I'll sleep in then watch it first thing after I'm up and ignore everything else. :heh:

• Anthus and Jenny like this

#62 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:33 AM

MY BOY SIMON

... was accidentally leaked by Nintendo themselves. They uploaded a Galaga medley to the Smash site, but if you opened the YouTube link, it took you to the right song... mislabeled as "Bloody Tears/Monster Dance." But I'M STILL HYPED.

AND I DIDN'T EVEN ANTICIPATE THEY MIGHT BRING IN RICHTER AS WELL. With Alucard appearing as an Assist Trophy.

This was a good announcement.

Oh yeah, and I guess we get Chrom, Dark Samus, and K. Rool as well, and Shovel Knight's an assist trophy. BUT SIMON.

• Jared likes this

#63 KEM64

KEM64

Junior

• Members

Posted 08 August 2018 - 10:03 AM

The Direct just ended and FIVE new characters have been revealed (2 Unique Fighters, 3 Echo Fighters). They are:

-Simon Belmont (Unique Fighter, Uses Grand Cross as a Final Smash).

-Richter Belmont (Echo Fighter of Simon).

-Chrom (Echo Fighter of Roy).

-Dark Samus (Echo Fighter of Samus).

The End of the Direct Character Reveal will make fans of Donkey Kong Country happy....unless they're fans of Dixie Kong. The new DK rep is....

-King K. Rool (Unique Fighter, has a Final Smash that references the Game Over Cutscene of Donkey Kong 64).

New Assist Trophies like Zero (from Mega Man X), Alucard (from Castlevania), even Shovel Knight was revealed. A Monster from Monster Hunter appears as a boss in 1 stage and is an Assist Trophy. Ashley (from WarioWare) is still an Assist Trophy.

There were also new Pokemon like Alolan Exeggutor, Vulpix (both normal and Alolan forms).

New Stages like Dracula's Castle (which has every boss from the original Castlevania except the Giant Bat, the creepy mask boss from Castlevania II, and the Werewolf from Rondo of Blood) and New Donk City Hall (The Tour Stage like Mute City from Melee, Aero Dive from Brawl, and the Skyward Sword stage from Smash 4 Wii U). A bunch of returning stages like Brinstar, Brinstar Depths, Fountain of Dreams, Mute City (The one from Smash 4 3DS).

Classic Mode returns, and it's back to what it was in Smash 64, Melee, and Brawl!

There is currently 103 stages in the game.

My Music returns, and if you thought Brawl and Smash 4 had a lot of songs....Oh boy, prepare yourself. Ultimate right now has over 800 songs (not counting the fanfares and victory themes. If you count those as well, then the total exceeds 900)!

There was also more revealed than what I listed. But I covered all the new fighters.

EDIT: Wait, Richter Belmont is playable, and Dracula can show up as a boss in the Dracula's Castle stage. Know what that means? Super Smash Bros. Ultimate just gave everyone the chance to re-enact their confrontation from Symphony of the Night (Die, Monster! You don't belong in this world!).

Edited by KEM64, 08 August 2018 - 12:02 PM.

• Jared likes this

#64 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 08 August 2018 - 10:56 AM

WE IN IT BOYS

Grand_Cross_Richter.gif

• ShadowTiger and Jared like this

#65 KEM64

KEM64

Junior

• Members

Posted 08 August 2018 - 11:13 AM

My thoughts on the Direct....

The Good:

-Even though he was accidentally leaked via the Galaga Medley video being misnamed "Bloody Tears/Monster Dance" temporarily, Simon Belmont is a cool new addition to the roster.

-While Simon was accidentally leaked, did anyone expect Richter Belmont to join him as well as an Echo Fighter to Simon?

-Castlevania being present means it's music will be present as well (and Ultimate will not disappoint in that. 34 Castlevania tracks are confirmed for Ultimate!).

-Zero and Alucard are cool additions for Assist Trophies.

-You can finally turn off Stage Hazards!

-Stage Morph which allows you to fight in 2 stages that change during the battle.

-Classic Mode is back to what it was in Smash 64, Melee, and Brawl.

-Tournament Mode returns like it was in Melee and Brawl (But you can only have a max of 32 characters compared to 64 in Melee and Brawl).

-New Battle Modes like 3-vs-3 (or 5-vs-5) and Smashout (which forces players to play as different characters each battle).

-New additions like the option to have a Final Smash Gauge.

The Bad:

-King K. Rool gets confirmed as playable, but not Dixie Kong as well?!

-Was making Chrom playable really necessary? We already have Lucina returning along with the other 5 Fire Emblem characters, the last thing the Smash fanbase needed was yet another Fire Emblem character being confirmed.

The Ugly:

-Super Smash Bros. Ultimate continues the nightmare-inducing trend of having your beloved favorite characters getting seemingly "killed" by an evil character during reveal trailers (as if seeing Mega Man and Mario getting wiped out by Ridley during Ridley's Reveal Trailer wasn't horrifying enough, Simon's Reveal Trailer has poor Luigi getting wiped out by Death and his scythe).

Score: 8/10. Better than the E3 Direct. Simon and Richter are exciting new additions, along with the new features like turning off Stage Hazards, and the return of the original Classic Mode. Score is only brought down by King K. Rool being confirmed as playable instead of Dixie Kong (She didn't get deconfirmed, but I think her only chance of getting in as a playable character now is as an Echo Fighter to Diddy Kong).

Edited by KEM64, 08 August 2018 - 12:04 PM.

#66 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 08 August 2018 - 01:45 PM

Wow, finally a CV character. And K Rool. Haven't watched it yet, but I will later.

#67 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 08 August 2018 - 04:56 PM

See if Link can take on Dracula, just like in LSiCV.

• Jared likes this

#68 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 08 August 2018 - 06:30 PM

Alright, time to get some less-condensed thoughts out there now that I've sat and thought about this a while. Let's start with new characters and work our way down.

- Simon and Richter Belmont. Incredible. I love their designs in this game, especially Simon's, because it's a badass upgrade of his classic design from the 80s. I am not a fan of the Ayami Kojima redesign. I love that their move sets implement subweapons. I love that the Dracula's Castle is dripping with Castlevania fanservice, especially breaking candles for items. And I especially love that there are thirty-four classic and remixed Castlevania songs coming to the game.

- Guess Chrom finally got his chance another day. And Dark Samus as well! It's funny how fans used to get annoyed at clones, but now that they've been dubbed "echo fighters," they're excited about the prospect. But yeah, these two are cool to see, especially Dark Samus, because we suddenly have two more Metroid characters, both of them antagonists!

- King K. Rool. That trailer was hilarious, especially the Kongs' reactions to Dedede and K. Rool. Plus K. Rool's design himself is fantastic, along with his move set that's a wonderful love letter to the DKC series. Definitely a welcome fighter.

- Holy shit Shovel Knight! As an Assist Trophy, but how can I be upset he's in this game at all?! Think about it. Not only is he from an indie title, he's from a Kickstarter indie title. To have representation at all is huge! Next time I hear someone try to pull the "Kickstarter games are a waste of time" card, I can point them to Shovel Knight appearing in Smash. And yes, I'd love to see him playable in the future, but Assist Trophy is still more than I could've hoped for.

- 103 stages. Over 800 music tracks not including fanfares and such. 70+ characters. This is a huge goddamn game. Loaded with content. No one is entitled to get upset over all the effort poured into this game so far.

- Time to be upset that Ashley isn't playable and is an Assist Trophy again. I kid, but I do admit some small disappointment. However, it's incredibly offset by my hype for the Castlevania love.

- Saving match rules is a godsend. Goodbye, time matches being the default.

- Other things that are cool I guess.

And now for one final crackpot hypothesis: Zero is in the game as an Assist Trophy. There is a remix of Megaman X's intro stage. Could we be seeing X himself appearing as an echo fighter in the near-future? 14om9zO.png

• ShadowTiger and Jared like this

#69 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 08 August 2018 - 10:23 PM

I'm still disappointed that this game is just a port. No Scribblenauts, or Star Tropics representation, either, for shame. CDi Link should have been the design they used, not that dusty BotW design. Bunch of slackers.

Okay, but no, this is awesome. I can write a bit more now. The CV characters were shocking to me. Not because I ever felt like Nintendo wouldn't want them, but more because, well, Konami is Konami, but I suppose they like money still. King K. Rool is amazing, and it's about damn time, but I am a bit sad about no Dixie still. I suppose she could still appear as an echo for Diddy, but I doubt it at this point.

I'm also still not entirely buying into the "Waluigi will be an assist trophy". I know it's been shown, but it's not like they can't change it. Plus, if this video is any indicator, Sakurai is quite the competent troll. I mean, it just wouldn't make sense to add in Daisy, and Wario (two games ago). Especially with this acknowledgement of clones, and disguising it as Echo fighters.

The over-all amount of content is staggering. This may be the biggest fighting game ever made, outside of Mugen, of course.

#70 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 08 August 2018 - 10:27 PM

Stolen from tim:

lu2wvggrdxe11.jpg

• ShadowTiger, Magi_Hero, Anthus and 6 others like this

#71 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 09 August 2018 - 12:08 AM

Balder as second bayo rep. You heard it here first.

#72 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 09 August 2018 - 05:06 AM

luigi ded

#73 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:11 AM

He's not dead. :P

I'm extraordinarily excited to try playing as Simon or Richter.  I really want to see how their nair ends up.  (Aerial Neutral A move.)  Will their whip's hitbox continually be extended with the whip the entire way through? Can we just move the whip through the air while it's out into someone else's hitbox, just like Jigglypuff's nair to rest.

I also heard we can wavedash now.  There's a bunch of video proofs out on Youtube.  I'd be excited for that, but honestly, whatever they have, I'll just have to learn that system too.  Anything's better than Smash64's system.  :P  ... ... Nothing. 

• Anthus likes this

#74 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 12 August 2018 - 01:49 PM

Ridley killed Mario and Megaman and now Death from the Castlevania series killed Luigi. Okay.

#75 Jenny

Jenny

braixen

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 30 October 2018 - 09:11 AM

https://twitter.com/...270899957776384

It's time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users