Photo

Might be on the verge of critical hardware failure.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 07 August 2017 - 04:15 PM

The problem:

A few days ago, my computer randomly shut down while importing a 30 minute video into a video editor. After rebooting, I opened up Speccy to see if it was a heat issue, and as I suspected it was. The idle temp for the CPU is around 40C. That's pretty normal, but upon re-opening the editor, and trying to import again, it skyrocketed to the upper 70s. This is dangerously hot, as it prompted the computer to shut down again. I've been editing videos for a while, and this didn't start happening till a few days ago. I was recording another video today, of me showing some stuff in Sketch Up, and it shut down again. I've done some tests, and drew a ton of polygons in SU to see if it would get hot. It didn't. Probably cause SU is handled by the GPU, I'd think. It seems to only heat up when doing things that require a lot of CPU power.

What I think it is:

I think that A) My CPU is dying (it's 6 years old, and has been used heavily), or B) It's the motherboard that is dying (same age). I think it could be the mobo cause the heat sinks on the north and south bridges were very hot to the touch, and my Speccy shows the mobo idling at around 41 after it was rebooted. The hard drive temp is fine, and it doesn't show the GPU temp for some reason. If it is either of these two components, it might be some time before I'm able to work on anything, as I don't exactly have 600$ lying around for a new CPU/ mobo. I do have another, significantly weaker computer I could use, but.. that's no fun.

What I've done about it:

I took apart the case completely, and cleaned it out again. The disheartening part that makes me think it's age based hardware failure was that the inside of the case was actually pretty clean. Cleaner than it was a few months back when I was having similar heating issue, but a new heat sink, and some extra fans seemed to fix it then.. but this is now. I think it is worsening. I also reapplied thermal paste, but the paste that was on there was still pliable, and not dry at all. All of this didn't seem to do anything. It still gets really hot under load, and it shuts off at around 78/80C.

So I'm thinking this is it.

#2 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:37 PM

The last time this happened to me, the heat sink was off by barely a millimeter. That thing's gotta be smashed right up against the chip, on all corners. That's part of why I hate putting those things on - you're not doing it right unless it feels like the motherboard's going to fold in half like a playing card.

At any rate, that was a work computer. Thing got shaken up a little bit I guess, and the heat sink shifted.

As for fans... well, I've only ever needed the one on the CPU heat sink, because I haven't gotten around to putting the side panel on the case for 9 or 10 years :P

And no, I've never had a heat related issue in all that time either.

Other than that, I'm afraid I don't have further input. I'd be curious how failing hardware would cause a burn-out though. Usually the failing process produces the opposite result.

• ShadowTiger and Anthus like this

#3 CDi-Fails

CDi-Fails

Initiate

• Members

Posted 08 August 2017 - 03:47 AM

I had this issue a while back. Turns out my CPU fan wasn't spinning properly. Maybe try flicking the blades of the fan and seeing how many rotations it can make and how smoothly it does so?

Edited by CDi-Fails, 08 August 2017 - 03:48 AM.

#4 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:52 AM

Fans and other heat-sink paraphernalia aren't too expensive, as is thermal paste. Also make sure the airflow's positive and negative forces are in balance. It's an often neglected thing.

Often, this is the sort of thing where a replacement of the actual motherboard or processor is a last resort. There are usually other options that can help with the problem.

Heck, try different temperature sensor programs. You never know. I use Speedfan as my primary. Speccy works too. But why settle for one?
  • Anthus likes this

#5 novarena

novarena

• Members

Posted 26 April 2022 - 12:58 PM

The temperature is pretty normal. 70C is not that much. In my opinion, the main issue is that you don't have enough RAM and space on your disk for importing this video. I recommend you run the defragmentation process on your hard drive and clean the registry by using special data recovery software. Also, shut down all programs and services while you are running the video importing process. These actions will help your system to locate more resources to complete the process.

Edited by novarena, 27 April 2022 - 07:56 AM.

#6 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 26 April 2022 - 04:51 PM

Oh this computer is long gone lol. I built a new one about a year ago now.

I never figured out what the problem was, but it was probably just old. One of the RAM sticks seems to have died too at some point. I got a laptop as a stop gap until I was able to build a new machine.

#7 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 26 April 2022 - 06:30 PM

lmao bot accounts giving pc advice

• Anthus and Taco Chopper like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users