Firebird Tileset

tileset

• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

#151 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 21 February 2015 - 08:57 AM

The smaller roofs were what I made first. Upon completing those I decided they didn't look right and moved on to the larger version. And even then, those aren't what I'd call the final version. I've started work on a new set that look even better but I've haven't worked on them in months.

Edited by Linkus, 21 February 2015 - 08:59 AM.

• Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder likes this

#152 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 21 February 2015 - 02:06 PM

Well, probably many people including myself think that the big rooves are way too big to be usable for ZC. Thus why I'm trying to make the smaller ones completely usable.

Edited by Jared, 21 February 2015 - 02:31 PM.

#153 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 21 February 2015 - 03:48 PM

I think the new ones Linkus have been working on looks great, and I plan on using those in Castle Town myself so if he doesn't end up finishing them, I'll have a go at it eventually. I'm all for having both variants in the set though, and it's not like we can't have alternatice, non-comboed tiles in the tilespages for those who wants to mix things up a little. I believe there's already at least one set of mountains that aren't comboed for example, which probably never will be either, but they're there for those that wants to use them. Those who don't need it can use the extra space for other stuff.

Also, I've seen a couple of people mentioning the lack of background tiles for mountain scenes and so on. That is true, at the moment there is only the titlescreen from tHP (which I believe you can find in the extras folder), but it uses a lot of colors so it's not completely workable within normal palettes. Unless it has been changed since I last looked at it. But most tilesets don't actually have these kinds of background tiles to begin with, which is why we've got a great database full of stuff to use. I know for a fact that Linkus has a pretty cool mountain backdrop in the database, for example, and with some recoloring you could probably make it work within Firebird pretty nicely. Just a tip.

That's not to say there won't be anything like it in the complete set, there might very well be, but for now you do have some alternatives outside the tileset. 

• Jared and Demonlink like this

#154 DragonDePlatino

DragonDePlatino

Pixel Dragon

• Members

Posted 21 February 2015 - 04:56 PM

To be honest, is all the focus on the tiles really necessary? I know that when it comes to enemies you can get away with using placeholder sprites and then adding in the final ones later, but it's been a few months and the enemies are still incomplete. Would you like some help with that if your hands are full, Linkus?

Edited by DragonDePlatino, 21 February 2015 - 04:58 PM.

• Jared likes this

#155 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:30 PM

mywXvDw.png

Some 16x16 Rupee Likes to contribute to the tileset with. Note: They are in 8-bit mode.

• Shane, Demonlink and KingPridenia like this

#156 Supindahood

Supindahood

Wizard

• Members

Posted 07 March 2015 - 03:53 PM

Edit: By the way, any difference between this update and the recent database update?

The versions are the same in this thread and the database.

To be honest, is all the focus on the tiles really necessary? I know that when it comes to enemies you can get away with using placeholder sprites and then adding in the final ones later, but it's been a few months and the enemies are still incomplete. Would you like some help with that if your hands are full, Linkus?

Placeholder enemies have been in the file all along, and most of them have been updated with real custom graphics. 

I found a coloring error with all of the "grassy" tree tiles. I thought it was going to be fixed, but i guess not. Now it can be!

Screenshot_10_zps249fe266.png

If you can't tell, the grass under the tree is miscolored. If it's fixed for future releases, then people won't have to keep recoloring it on their own.  :)

I'm sure I fixed this in the latest version. 

You guys should really assign Unique Colors to them blank Level Palettes. 1-9 C and D, Nothing is more sad then not knowing which screens are blank in the minimap window.

Sure, that's not something I have experience with tho. But I'll try.

I just took a look at the tileset. While gorgeous, I do have a question. Look at combo 857 and 859. They're lock block combos. The combos immediately to their right are not "open" lockblock equivalents, but different kinds of combos entirely.

Whatever combo 884 is looks a little bit too tall to be a triggerable button, and looks instead like a hammer peg post. Maybe I'm not looking at it right.

Does combo 908 have a vertical equivalent? That looks like something that would be really useful, along with pipeline connectors of varying shapes. + and L and such.

Those 2x2 rocks around combo 1044 look like they can be condensed. I also kind of feel like they could / should be animated with some lava flows. They look static right now.

Those combos at 1076 - What are they exactly? O.o If they're meant to be opened, which it does appear to be so, why is the open version not preconfigured to be a warp combo of some sort? There are indeed combos which have been preconfigured, like the sign post Script #1 combo type, and the bush->next combo types. So why not these?

Combo 1148 and its ilk need other directions to be pushed in, as well as "heavy" variations.

1536 and 1552 - why does one have a tan background and the other black?

Combo 2704 - Why is this a combo that needs to be layered on top of water? What is it primarily used for? Is it used for placing water-based decorations onto corners?

I feel like combos 2880 needs to be animated. Just a little. It has potential that it's not meeting. Same with a lot of these water-related dock combos.

Thanks for the info, when I added the combos I almost did them all at the same time, so all combo data is not correct. I will fix the bugs you listed.

Edited by Supindahood, 07 March 2015 - 04:02 PM.

• ShadowTiger, Shane and Jared like this

#157 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:48 PM

I'm sure I fixed this in the latest version. 

Are you talking about the unreleased one, or the currently released one? Because it's NOT fixed in the current one.

#158 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 08 March 2015 - 01:49 PM

Just to throw this out here, anyone who wants to try their hand at a palette is more than welcome. I know we're lacking in dungeon palette variety and could use more. If you need help or critique on a palette, just ask here.

A few guidelines to lay out though:

• The palette structure for either an overworld or dungeon palette must be kept in the same order.
  • All palettes must contain a Cset 2, 3, and 4, and is suggested that there is some variance in each one.
  • For advanced palettes such as the ones I have made, it is highly suggested to not use 8-bit color as a crutch for things to work. We wish to keep most tiles in 4-bit color.

Edited by Linkus, 08 March 2015 - 01:49 PM.

• Shane and Jared like this

#159 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:58 AM

It would be cool to see dungeon palettes based off of the colour schemes in the Gameboy Zelda titles. I might have a tackle at this sometime in the future. Right now, my palette skills have somehow managed to become horribly rusted.

Edited by Shane, 09 March 2015 - 01:13 AM.

#160 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 15 April 2015 - 10:23 PM

Are there any NPC sprites done yet? I really need some for my quest.

#161 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:33 AM

I might want to use this tileset for my next project but... it all depends.

Do you have any time frame of when all the Z1 enemies are expected to be implemented?
That and the tileset getting restructured in order (breaking older maps should you import them.) is making me hesitant to start using this tileset in it's current state.

#162 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 31 May 2015 - 04:05 PM

Just out of sheer curiosity, have any Misc. Firebird Link sprites have been drawn? Like the Pushing, Pulling, Roc's Cape and such animations?

#163 Supindahood

Supindahood

Wizard

• Members

Posted 11 June 2015 - 04:43 AM

Just out of sheer curiosity, have any Misc. Firebird Link sprites have been drawn? Like the Pushing, Pulling, Roc's Cape and such animations?

I don't believe so :)

Edited by Supindahood, 11 June 2015 - 04:44 AM.

• Demonlink likes this

#164 MarinaraSauce

MarinaraSauce

Magus

• Members

Posted 18 June 2015 - 09:49 PM

I've noticed that there aren't really any dungeon entrance tree entrances (if that makes sense.  Basically, all of the tree entrances just look like entrances to caves).  Could you perhaps make some Great Deku Tree tiles if it wouldn't be too difficult?

#165 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 19 June 2015 - 01:40 AM

There's a Deku Tree image on Spriter's Resource (look under Custom/Edited) that matches up with Firebird pretty much perfectly, even using the existing palettes. As a matter of fact, I think that I posted it earlier on the thread, if you want to rip the image. You'll have to divide it up into tiles yourself, though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tileset

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users