Photo

Metroid

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 02 November 2015 - 09:35 PM

Another series, another thread! I intend to make one for them all... actually probably not. But if Megaman and Castlevania can have their hub threads, why not another Nintendo flagship series, one beloved by many here, Metroid!

This is a series I also enjoy, though there are some I've played more than others; I'm more a fan of the Prime games than I am the 2D games, but I enjoy those as well. I've played all of them besides Zero Mission and Hunters, and beaten all of them except for the first. I think. I don't really remember beating the first, and if I did, it was probably with cheats or something.

But now that I've moved on from the Castlevania series, many of which have gameplay similar to Metroid, I've moved on to the progenitor of the 2D sidescrolling action-adventure genre, I'll finish the unfinished business, and I'll have a damn good time doing it.

Except Other M, I never plan on playing that ever again.

Also I too am desperate for the next entry in the series.

• Air Luigi and Logos like this

#2 Logos

Logos

Gnome Child

• Members

Posted 02 November 2015 - 09:43 PM

I've played all of them besides Zero Mission and Hunters, and beaten all of them except for the first. I think. 

It's a short game, but definitely a fun little romp. Defeating enemies is very satisfying, the graphics are pretty, and there are plenty of varied environments. There's also a stealth section in the post game, but I won't say anymore because spoilers. I'd recommend giving it a go.

As for my favorite Metroid game, I'd say "Prime 2: Echoes" (Is there an "e" in that?)

The environments, while not too varied, are still pretty interesting. I love the Ing, Dark Aether, and the OST. It's definitely a challenging game, though.

• Evan20000 likes this

#3 Anarchy_Balsac

Anarchy_Balsac

Quest Builder

• Members

Posted 02 November 2015 - 09:44 PM

As far as I'm concerned, the series ended with Prime 1, though Fusion and Prime 2 had their qualities.

#4 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 02 November 2015 - 09:44 PM

I want them to make a game about where the Chozo went, or her learning from the Chozo when her parents were killed by Ridley.

• Astromeow likes this

#5 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 02 November 2015 - 09:52 PM

Thanks TS

As much as I love Metroid, the challenge was always lackluster, even in the first Metroid. NES Metroid is the best. 1-2 and Prime 1 are my favorites games in the series, though I like Super and Prime 2 a lot also. I don't care much for the rest.

So, if you want a challenge someday, try Super Zero Mission and Eris, these are AMAZING. I will try Redesign and Z-Factor soon to see how good they are.

Edited by Air Luigi, 02 November 2015 - 09:53 PM.

#6 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 02 November 2015 - 09:57 PM

It's a short game, but definitely a fun little romp. Defeating enemies is very satisfying, the graphics are pretty, and there are plenty of varied environments. There's also a stealth section in the post game, but I won't say anymore because spoilers. I'd recommend giving it a go.

I meant the first game for NES, and I'm already aware of everything that happens in Zero Mission. :P

But I do intend to play every single one, including Zero Mission.

#7 Anarchy_Balsac

Anarchy_Balsac

Quest Builder

• Members

Posted 02 November 2015 - 09:59 PM

I meant the first game for NES, and I'm already aware of everything that happens in Zero Mission. :P

But I do intend to play every single one, including Zero Mission.

Other than Mecha-Ridley and an abridged difficulty, there's not much reason to play Zero Mission.  You can, it's not bad, but not worth it IMHO if you already have the original metroid.

#8 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:14 PM

I can pass hours with the title screen. Seriously. Probably my favorite title screen ever.

The infinite space... the light of Samus Aran.

#9 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:37 PM

My favorite Metroid game is probably Fusion.  The story and setting were intense, engaging, and different.  We got more insight into Samus' character and it only added more depth to her, the level design was really solid (despite complaints about it not being as open as previous titles), and the environment was a lot different.  Even when I play it now, more than 10 years later, I still get anxiety when I know the SA-X is in the area, and it gets my adrenaline really pumping during those chase/hiding scenes- something that only a few other games can really do to me.

Aside from that, Zero Mission is probably the runner up, and the Prime games are pretty fun too.  Nothing else in the series really particularly grips me, though.

• Evan20000 likes this

#10 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:58 PM

Fusion > Zero Mission. Also, Prime Hunters isn't as bad as people say it is. At least it's not Other M.

#11 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:59 PM

My favourite is definitely Prime 1. I recently 100% the game on Hard and i had a blast doing it.

The only game in the series i don't like is Other M. I can write an essay on how terrible that game is to me, but i don't want to dwell on negativity.

Edited by Norzan, 02 November 2015 - 11:01 PM.

• The Satellite and Evan20000 like this

#12 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 November 2015 - 11:21 PM

I love Metroid. I've played and beaten all three Primes. I even almost finished Prime 1 on Hard Mode, except I got stuck on Meta Ridley at the end. I've never finished any of the 2D ones though. They don't interest me as much as the Primes do. And this is coming from someone who doesn't like first person shooters!

• Astromeow likes this

#13 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 November 2015 - 11:29 PM

I love Metroid. I've played and beaten all three Primes. I even almost finished Prime 1 on Hard Mode, except I got stuck on Meta Ridley at the end. I've never finished any of the 2D ones though. They don't interest me as much as the Primes do. And this is coming from someone who doesn't like first person shooters!

Prime doesn't seem to mold well into your typical FPS, which is why I feel that the First Person Adventure title I believe they coined is more fitting. 

• The Satellite, Jared and Evan20000 like this

#14 HavoX

HavoX

Has more posts in Doomworld than in PureZC

• Members

Posted 03 November 2015 - 12:36 AM

I started playing the first game a few months ago, but I didn't get very far. I'll try again when I get a chance.

#15 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 03 November 2015 - 01:15 AM

Has anybody played AM2R? It's only a demo at the moment, but it's pretty fun. It's a remake of Metroid 2, but with a lot of different improvements brought from the later games, expanded areas to explore, and the Metroid battles are pretty neat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users