Photo

Most overrated ZC Quest?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 PublicEnemy1

PublicEnemy1

• Members

Posted 09 December 2018 - 04:09 PM

Although this might be a hot button to press, I am new to ZC, and I want to know which quests have aged well or not from other community members.

#2 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 09 December 2018 - 04:45 PM

Hero of Dreams. Possible best ZC Quest at it's time; but now it's game design is outdated compared to more modern quests.

• Anthus, Jenny and PublicEnemy1 like this

#3 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 09 December 2018 - 05:01 PM

Nothing, because this thread doesn't need to exist.

Several threads like this have existed in the past and they all resulted in the same circlejerking against particular quests like Hero of Dreams. If a quest has the high popularity it has, it deserves it. And it doesn't deserve people circlejerking to bring its popularity down.

• Jenny likes this

#4 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 09 December 2018 - 06:10 PM

Could as well have asked "which ZC quests have aged best?".

The Fort Knights (2007) is a really nice hour or two of entertainment still very much on par with more recent releases.

• Shane likes this

#5 PublicEnemy1

PublicEnemy1

• Members

Posted 09 December 2018 - 06:43 PM

Several threads like this have existed in the past and they all resulted in the same circlejerking against particular quests like Hero of Dreams. If a quest has the high popularity it has, it deserves it. And it doesn't deserve people circlejerking to bring its popularity down.

My apologies. I used a search engine, and this type of thread didn't turn up.

The Fort Knights (2007) is a really nice hour or two of entertainment still very much on par with more recent releases.

I will! Thank you!

#6 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 09 December 2018 - 06:52 PM

Curious, is it playable? I have wanted to give it a go a couple of times but it seemed to have a lot of broken scripts (Link can roll across water, Link goes invisible when he plays the Ocarina). Not trying to suggest to avoid it, because frankly it's an underrated masterpiece, but I think it's only playable in 2.5 betas? Something worth noting I guess.

Also to be clear: It's not on the Database, it should be in the archives forum though. Just for those who want to look for it! Either way, I'd second Fort Knight.

I'd definitely recommend any quest that uses the Z1 formula (and perhaps even the mechanics!) and makes something successful. That stuff is hard to do present day, and is trickier than it sounds.

#7 Aevin

Aevin

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 09 December 2018 - 10:23 PM

My apologies. I used a search engine, and this type of thread didn't turn up.

I will! Thank you!

I fear Orithan came across a bit strong. I'm not too worried about the repeat thread, since the other is kind of old. I do, however, feel the term "overrated" is a tricky one. We all get to express our opinions on quests through the review and ratings system and other discussions. But calling something "overrated" suggests that it doesn't deserve the recognition that it's received. And that I somehow know better. For me personally, that's not a message that I like to send in a fan community like this one, where I see how hard people work on their games. On the whole, I prefer to focus on the positive, rather than bringing people down by suggesting they're somehow undeserving of their success.

I don't think there's anything wrong with you asking the question, but that's my take on the subject.

• Nathaniel, The Satellite, Eddy and 2 others like this

#8 PublicEnemy1

PublicEnemy1

• Members

Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:23 PM

I fear Orithan came across a bit strong. I'm not too worried about the repeat thread, since the other is kind of old. I do, however, feel the term "overrated" is a tricky one. We all get to express our opinions on quests through the review and ratings system and other discussions. But calling something "overrated" suggests that it doesn't deserve the recognition that it's received. And that I somehow know better. For me personally, that's not a message that I like to send in a fan community like this one, where I see how hard people work on their games. On the whole, I prefer to focus on the positive, rather than bringing people down by suggesting they're somehow undeserving of their success.

I don't think there's anything wrong with you asking the question, but that's my take on the subject.

Thanks! I do agree that @Orithan was a little tough.

#9 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 10 December 2018 - 02:43 AM

I think it's only playable in 2.5 betas? Something worth noting I guess.

Yes, that is right. You'd stumble upon that information, though, if you were to look for the quest, so I thought s/he'd figure once they find it.

• Shane likes this

#10 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 11 December 2018 - 09:38 PM

Keep making threads like this, and you will be public enemy number one.

I'm kidding, of course.

I am hesitant to call any quest overrated, though.  I also hate to use underrated.  To me, the two terms read as follows...

Overrated - I don't like it as much as most people do.

Underrated - I like it better than most people do.

I see them as terms that simply show contrast between personal opinion and overall community opinion.

As for what ages well and what doesn't, that can also get complex.  Older versions of ZC had less to offer, so expectations have naturally changed over time.  I think when it comes to quests, some things should always be valued going all the way back to when custom quests began:  screen design, playability, execution of features, choice of music, choice of custom tiles (when used), etc.

What changes of course is what is offered.  Scripting is a prime example, coming from 2.50 and later.  I think that it's still possible to make a great quest without scripting.  Some may disagree with that, and some will support that idea.  But at the same time, scripting, like anything else, can be executed well or poorly.  I think that latter point is a stronger one to emphasize whenever scripting is used, and is irrelevant when it's not used.  The same sort of conversation can come from other newer features, such as custom subscreens, custom enemies, and custom bosses.  So when it comes to the age well/badly argument, a lot of what you choose to value in a quest is emphasized.  If you highly value features only found in 2.50 and later, you will naturally hate almost any quest (if not all of them) made before that version.

• Shane, Matthew and Lüt like this

#11 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 12 December 2018 - 08:19 PM

Triggered...

With that said, literally any highly rated quest can be potentially overrated. Maybe this would be a better way of putting what Orithan was trying to say. 

• Nathaniel and PublicEnemy1 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users