Classic Mega Man Series

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:39 AM

Hello there, the Classic Mega Man Series (Mega Man 1-6 and 9-10) is my all-time favorite
video game series. I'd like to present them here with commentary, show you my expert
strategies icon_slycool.gif and play according to my favorite 'House Rules':

1 - No Energy Tanks allowed.
2 - No Charge Shots allowed
3 - No Rapid Fire allowed
4 - No Boss Weapons allowed

That's right, I'm limiting myself to the default buster shot, and not using stored items (although
there are a couple Wily's Castle bosses in Mega Man 3 that are immune to the buster shot).
Hopefully these LPs will be enjoyable (I am soft spoken, and not fond of the way my voice sounds).
I'm also probably not the most entertaining host, but I'll give it a shot anyways and let you be the judge.
On that note I am interested to hear your feedback on these videos, so don't be shy like I am icon_razz.gif .
Also note that updates may not be frequent due to my busy schedule, and I'm also not sure that I can
record Mega Man 9 and 10. So we'll just have to see about that. So without further ado, go watch some LPs!

Mega Man 1:
https://www.youtube....sbuFDXyxXgbhlS1

megaman10conceptartfxxa.png

Edited by Cukeman, 13 December 2015 - 02:03 PM.

#2 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:04 AM

Oh no... Vimeo. icon_frown.gif I have not been able to use Vimeo on either of my last two computers without it skipping like hell. I don't suppose it's possible to get it uploaded to YouTube, as well?...

Sorry, I just don't see why anyone uses that site... YouTube alternatives are great, but only if they work... >_>;

P.S. - Looking forward to Megaman 8. icon_biggrin.gif ...Although you will need to implement some personal rule revisions for stored weapons, since most of the earned weapons in MM8 have an "item"-like secondary use, some of which are non-optional.

#3 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:11 AM

I didn't know anyone had problems with Vimeo. I use Vimeo because the compression seems to be better
and it has a better reputation than YouTube for displaying your videos where professionals can see them,
which is important to me as an artist.

However, that's neither here nor there. I'll just go ahead and use YouTube for these LPs.
Incidentally I hadn't planned on LPing Mega Man 7 or Mega Man 8, but maybe I will after all.
They don't have that retro NES flavor that I love, but they are still Mega Man games, after all.
It might also be interesting to LP the Game Boy Mega Man series (1-5). I have only played two
games in that series, I was quite disappointed when Capcom didn't release the Game Boy
Mega Man Anniversary Collection which had been slated for release on Game Boy Advance.

Edited by Cukeman, 27 July 2012 - 05:12 AM.

#4 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:28 AM

With all due respect, you're pretty boring to listen to. :/

#5 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:44 AM

Can you turn that into constructive criticism by suggesting ways to improve?
For instance, was it what I said or the way I said it that you didn't like?

I neglected to mention that this is my first LP ever, and nobody should expect
instant success. Also I am a very quiet person who's VERY timid in front of the
mike, it's literally difficult for me to speak up, but perhaps I can improve with practice.
Still, I find subtitle comments impersonal and distracting from the action, so I won't go that route.

#6 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:54 PM

You can record off your Wii or Playstation onto your computer. You need a TV tuner connector card (if it doesn't come pre-installed) in your computer. You then hook up the audio/video cables into that and your computer should recognize the input. I believe some software installation is involved, but it depends on what tuner brand you get.

#7 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:17 AM

QUOTE(Cukeman @ Jul 27 2012, 03:11 AM) View Post
I didn't know anyone had problems with Vimeo. I use Vimeo because the compression seems to be better and it has a better reputation than YouTube for displaying your videos where professionals can see them, which is important to me as an artist.

Well, why not split the difference: upload them to Vimeo AND YouTube. Best of both worlds, hopefully?...

QUOTE(Cukeman @ Jul 27 2012, 03:11 AM) View Post
However, that's neither here nor there. I'll just go ahead and use YouTube for these LPs. Incidentally I hadn't planned on LPing Mega Man 7 or Mega Man 8, but maybe I will after all. They don't have that retro NES flavor that I love, but they are still Mega Man games, after all. It might also be interesting to LP the Game Boy Mega Man series (1-5). I have only played two games in that series, I was quite disappointed when Capcom didn't release the Game Boy Mega Man Anniversary Collection which had been slated for release on Game Boy Advance.

Yeah, that's kind of a bummer that it was canceled. icon_unsettled.gif Did it at least come out in Japan?... Do you approve of the PS2/GC Anniversary Collection, or were you really hoping for something playable on handheld? Hmmm, I wonder whether a port of the PS2 Megaman Anniv. Collection will become available for download on the Vita.

I definitely wouldn't urge you to play Megaman 7. It is a pretty crappy game, in my opinion, and an embarrassing installment in the original Megaman series.

I only assumed you'd play MM8 because I had figured "classic Megaman" was referring to the original series, as opposed to only the NES series (and NES-style Wii titles). I can see how recording MM8 and later titles would be more of a problem than the earlier titles, since the earlier ones can easily be recorded through NES and SNES emulator programs.

MM8 feels a bit different from the other games in the original series, but I have a soft spot for it. I think it was actually quite well-done, and made up for most of the mistakes of MM7 (though I'd make a few small changes).

#8 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:56 PM

I'm fine with the Mega Man Anniversary Collection that came out for GC because I was able
to adapt to the new layout for shooting and jumping, others had trouble with it.

The reason I wanted Mega Man Anniversary Collection for GBA was because it had different
games on it (the Game Boy Mega Man series, which were different than the NES series).
Supposedly it was going to have both standard and colorized versions of the games.

Yeah I'm not fond of Mega Man 7 either, but I have played it.

list of Mega Man games I've played

#9 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:28 AM

QUOTE(Cukeman @ Jul 28 2012, 05:56 PM) View Post
I'm fine with the Mega Man Anniversary Collection that came out for GC because I was able to adapt to the new layout for shooting and jumping, others had trouble with it.

The reason I wanted Mega Man Anniversary Collection for GBA was because it had different games on it (the Game Boy Mega Man series, which were different than the NES series). Supposedly it was going to have both standard and colorized versions of the games.

Yeah, I was one of the people who was bothered by the Gamecube controller layout. I specifically made a point to get the PS2 version, in response to the reversed jump/shoot buttons (and the lack of customizable controls).

And here's my personal list, just in case anyone cares (plus a one-line opinion of each game):

List of Mega Man games I've played

#10 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:40 PM

It's been a while since my last video. Check out the first post to see my latest entry for this LP (Guts Man).

#11 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:29 PM

Heya Cukeman! Nice to see you've returned so soon! So no offense, but you kinda sound like you're half asleep when you commentate. This is admittedly something I'm not too great with myself. Have you considered doing co-commentaries? I've found that helps make me more interesting.

#12 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE(Moosh @ Oct 14 2012, 03:29 PM) View Post

Heya Cukeman! So no offense, but you kinda sound like you're half asleep when you commentate. This is admittedly something I'm not too great with myself. Have you considered doing co-commentaries? I've found that helps make me more interesting.

What gives you the half-asleep impression? I'm not saying you're incorrect, but is it the tone of voice,
speed of delivery, or...? In other words, what can I do to improve on that?

Co-commentary does sound interesting, but the only friends who would do that don't live nearby, and
I have no idea how that would work online, unless it was a stream. I don't think I can very well manage
to stream, record and game at the same time with this internet connection. Also, these levels are so
short that it'd be hard for multiple people to comment, and kind of awkward to set up a meeting for
just 5 minutes or so.

#13 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:00 PM

I don't have time to watch the video and comment, but I can direct you to the way TS does his LP/Livestream thingies: Clicky here. Basically, what you could do is set up a stream (even make it private if you want) while calling some friends over Skype. Livestream will automatically record while it's streaming if you configure it to, so there's two birds with one stone. As long as somebody else hosts the Skype call, you internet should be able to handle it... hopefully. The levels might be short, but you could just do multiple levels at once, and split them into multiple videos if need be.

#14 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE(Cukeman @ Oct 14 2012, 04:41 PM) View Post

What gives you the half-asleep impression? I'm not saying you're incorrect, but is it the tone of voice,
speed of delivery, or...? In other words, what can I do to improve on that?

Co-commentary does sound interesting, but the only friends who would do that don't live nearby, and
I have no idea how that would work online, unless it was a stream. I don't think I can very well manage
to stream, record and game at the same time with this internet connection. Also, these levels are so
short that it'd be hard for multiple people to comment, and kind of awkward to set up a meeting for
just 5 minutes or so.

It's a bit of tone of voice and a bit of how loud you're projecting it. My guess is that you don't want to disrupt family/neighbors so you're being as quiet as possible? If you were doing a co-commentary it would probably be best to record multiple episodes at a time instead of just a single level.

#15 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:13 AM

QUOTE(Russ @ Oct 14 2012, 04:00 PM) View Post

I don't have time to watch the video and comment, but I can direct you to the way TS does his LP/Livestream thingies: Clicky here. Basically, what you could do is set up a stream (even make it private if you want) while calling some friends over Skype. Livestream will automatically record while it's streaming if you configure it to, so there's two birds with one stone. As long as somebody else hosts the Skype call, you internet should be able to handle it... hopefully. The levels might be short, but you could just do multiple levels at once, and split them into multiple videos if need be.

LOL icon_lol.gif considering that my videos are generally just under four minutes I have a hard time believing
it was shorter to type all that and insert that web link icon_xd.gif . Still, I can't fault anyone for not having
certain interests.

...anyways next stop Wily's Castle! (I do wish the video compression quality wasn't so random though...)

Edited by Cukeman, 02 November 2012 - 12:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users