ZC on DosBox (namely 1.0 and 1.92 B 182/3) Win 10

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 12 July 2017 - 12:36 PM

Someone said they got this working, I got SFR working, but I'd really like to get old versions working again. If anyone knows how to override the Protected Mode let me know.

Update:  It now works, but crashes after I collect the first item.  Still, if anyone knows, comment away.  I also the first test quest ever, an unofficial 3rd Quest I never released, as well as a version of New Quest 1.02 version, who knows if it is complete, lol.  Maybe after I get this to work I'll stream it.  (it's probably terrible, and I've only referenced it once in my whole ZC dev history)

Thanks

-James

Edited by Nightmare, 12 July 2017 - 05:11 PM.

• Shane likes this

#2 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:24 AM

James, there was a thread about a year ago about running 1.90 on DOSBox on top of Android OS< or something similar. I seem to recall that Lut was the one who did it, but that could be my faulty memory.

You could probably run them in an Oracle VM with PC-DOS 7 or MS-DOWS 6.22. I have VMs for DOS+Win 3 somewhere if you need one.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 13 July 2017 - 05:26 AM.

#3 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:53 AM

There are new policies on gravedigging and the threads are hard to find.

If you want to send them to me I'd appreciate it.

-James

#4 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:15 AM

If the DOS version uses something like dos/4g or similar memory expander software you can try replacing it with the free dos/32 product and then try playing the game in DOSBox.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOS/32

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOS/4G

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 19 July 2017 - 06:15 AM.

#5 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 19 July 2017 - 02:35 PM

If the DOS version uses something like dos/4g or similar memory expander software you can try replacing it with the free dos/32 product and then try playing the game in DOSBox.

How would I do that?  What file would I replace?

-James

#6 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 20 July 2017 - 06:55 AM

Can you provide me with a zipped copy of the program or a screenshot of its files? I don't really want to run an installer for it.

#7 grayswandir

grayswandir

semi-genius

• ZC Developers

Posted 20 July 2017 - 09:51 AM

Aren't most installers just a short extraction program stuck onto a zip file anyway? You might be able to just "unzip" the installer and get what you want.

#8 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 21 July 2017 - 12:53 AM

@Nemesis it looks like the DOS4G program is hardlinked in to the Zelda Classic program, so you can't replace it with an alternative :/

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 21 July 2017 - 01:08 AM.

#9 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:26 AM

I always thought Zelda Classic 1.90 and the three 1.92 builds had Windows versions, was my memory wrong? Also why is v1.92b184 being swept under the rug? There are quests made for that version!

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 22 August 2017 - 04:27 AM.

• Anthus likes this

#10 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:41 AM

I always thought Zelda Classic 1.90 and the three 1.92 builds had Windows versions, was my memory wrong? Also why is v1.92b184 being swept under the rug? There are quests made for that version!

Windows versions started with Beta 182 and Beta 183 is regarded as the standard for 1.92.

I think most if not all the 184 stuff got converted to 2.10 if I'm not mistaken.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

-James

• Anthus likes this

#11 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:22 PM

I thought beta 184 was a special release of 1.92 (the player only) and not the editor (ZQ) that fixed issues with backward compatibility for people who can't run the older DOS versions (1.90, 1.84), but it's been a while so I could be off the mark here.

EDIT: But yeah, 1.92b184 is not on the official website anymore.

• Rambly likes this

#12 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:47 PM

It contained some logic that was unique to it, iirc there was something regarding the ladder behaving differently.

#13 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:35 PM

Update:  It now works, but crashes after I collect the first item.

Hey, dunno if this'll help, but I had the same issue and I seem to have fixed it in DOSBox.  YMMV, and I'm using Windows 8.1, not 10, but I can't imagine the solution would be any different on 10.  I found the CWSDPMI stuff in Setzer's thread from a couple years back, so my apologies if you've already tried it.  Thanks to Elebreed for bringing the memsize thing to my attention.

• Open DOSBox's configuration file in a text editor.  There's a batch file that comes with DOSBox that automatically opens the config file in in Notepad (DOSBox 0.74 Options.bat), but if that doesn't work, you can find the config file at C:\Users\[account name]\AppData\Local\DOSBox\dosbox-0.74.conf.  Change memsize=16 to memsize=64.  1.90 might not require this step, although I think 1.92b183 won't work without bumping the memory up.
  • Download CWSDPMI.  You can find it here, although if that doesn't work I reuploaded it here.
  • Unzip CWSDPMI and put it somewhere you can find it in DOSBox (I just put it in the same folder as ZC 1.90).
  • Run DOSBox, cd to wherever CWSDPMI is.  Run cwsdpmi -x.  cd to wherever Zelda Classic is, run zelda, and hope it works.

I've tested 1.00, 1.84, and 1.90, and they don't seem to crash on Hold Up Items anymore.  I wanted to test 1.92 for myself, but apparently the version on zeldaclassic.com that's labeled as being for DOS isn't actually for DOS (???).  Elebreed attests that he's gotten 1.92 DOS working using this method, however, so hopefully it'll work for you too?

#14 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:55 PM

It works.  I'm going to try to take a LP of 3rdEX or New Quest 1.02 and totally test this out, after the 6th Contest is done.

Putting this on AGN so they know as well.

THANK YOU!

-James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users