Photo

Question:

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:47 AM

Can we post non ffc/global/item scripts in the script database?

Do we just say [Zscript - B/V/Int] or what?

Thinking about it a little it would make sense to break it down into four sub-category's: FFC, ITEM, GLOBAL, FUNCTIONS.

Edited by Gleeok, 20 March 2009 - 12:48 AM.

#2 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:24 AM

Answer:

Yes, you can.
I had some system for it, but I've forgotten now.
Go ahead and put [ZScript - Function] icon_thumbsup.gif

#3 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:06 PM

If you need to rework the forums here a little, just ask. I'll be glad to help out any way that I can.

#4 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 21 March 2009 - 09:08 AM

Ah ok, thanks =)

I'll let you know if there's anything needs doing. Maybe we could have sub-forums for each script type or something?

Then again though, we haven't had any submissions since december...

#5 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 21 March 2009 - 02:44 PM

It makes me wonder what more we could do to get people more um ... "In tune" with scripting.

After all, not everyone is even so mathematically inclined to learn scripting.

However, that's not to say that it's not possible for some people to learn at all! I'm one of the people who is the least talented at any sort of math, yet I still enjoy scripting. I've made at least six tiny scripts that work perfectly relative to what I wanted them to achieve. I probably won't be making any big scripts any time soon, if ever, but it's important to at least know how to undergo the process.

I think a line-by-line tutorial would be interesting. Something from the thoughts of someone who doesn't code very often, but has something they want to do. Something like, .. make an item display a temporary message when you pick it up. That's easy enough to do, absolutely.

#6 Silver

Silver

If only scripting were that easy...

• Members

Posted 21 March 2009 - 02:45 PM

Just curious, but what level of math do you recommend for an aspiring scripter?

#7 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:03 PM

Calculus.

Because. Even though much of it is Trigonometry, you'll also want to have the level of intelligence necessary to actually forge 100% of the problem in your head before you can put it into notepad to import. If you don't know what you're doing, you may as well be blind.

#8 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 21 March 2009 - 08:06 PM

Calculus? I'm gonna have to disagree with that.

Maybe 20 years ago you had to be a math guru in order to program anything useful, but today you certainly don't need to have a degree in math to program games. Especially a basic scripting language like ZScript. If you can add, subtract, multiply, and divide, I'd say you can script something.

#9 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 21 March 2009 - 08:58 PM

The emphasis was really more on the second "half" of my previous post than on the first. It's an override thing.

Even though basic math is, well, basic math, and it's essentially safe to assume that everyone knows basic math, it's not as possible to assume that everyone knows how to use this basic math in the proper code format that will actually do get them what they want.

The problem isn't turning pseudocode into ZScript. The problem is forming the pseudocode in the first place, if it involves any type of math at all.

#10 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:45 AM

Actually, I think all that you really need of maths to write a simple but effective script is logic reasoning.

Obviously when you get into more complicated coding you do need quite a lot of maths (learning how binary and hex work, for example), but for a simple code being able to understand how you can check for things in an if statment and adding in commands is enough.
I don't think I've ever used calculus in coding. Obviously if you want to be really pedantic, speed is the gradient function of time plotted against distance. But I don't want to be really pedantic.

#11 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE(ShadowTiger @ Mar 21 2009, 09:58 PM) View Post
The problem isn't turning pseudocode into ZScript. The problem is forming the pseudocode in the first place, if it involves any type of math at all.

Well then, write higher-level pseudocode. icon_razz.gif
The math can be tricky, but it's a lot easier if you go one step at a time.

#12 Silver

Silver

If only scripting were that easy...

• Members

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:36 PM

QUOTE(ShadowTiger @ Mar 21 2009, 04:03 PM) View Post
Calculus.

Because. Even though much of it is Trigonometry, you'll also want to have the level of intelligence necessary to actually forge 100% of the problem in your head before you can put it into notepad to import. If you don't know what you're doing, you may as well be blind.
Oh, well. Maybe in a year and stuff...thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users