Pokemon Go

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#16 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 13 July 2016 - 05:38 PM

You want an actual Pokemon game on mobile?  Take a look at EvoCreo.

#17 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:29 PM

I watched the video, and I admit that as far as Pokemon knockoffs go, that looks really fun and adds in a few pretty good new ideas into the formula. The only thing is, Pokemon Go has the AR aspect to it. You know that anybody who grew up with any of the Pokemon games wanted to go out and be able to do that in real life. You've got the little camera, you get to actively look for Pokemon in real life through your phone, you pretty much get as close as technology can get to living you that dream for real. That's the main appeal to the game. All of the social aspects and exercise and all of that is simply a side-effect, honestly.

I know it's been said already, but if you could combine the real-life aspect of Go with a more nuanced battle system like that EvoCreo game or just a normal Pokemon game, then it would pretty much be perfect. Hell, look at that Pocket Mortys game. You've got the type system reduced down to literally Rock Paper Scissors, and simplified the exploration aspect to just a single hub area and some randomly generated fields. It's still a pretty decent game, even simplified down as much as it is. A simple and strategic battle system is not hard.

#18 Kingdragon

Kingdragon

• Members

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:43 PM

I have been playing Pokemon Go for a few days and I am not really addicted to the game...only level 6. I'll go for a walk about once a day or so to the nearest pokestop and catch whatevers along the way. However, I don't see why people go into opposite sex restrooms, others houses, and the f***ing highway searching for pokemon. You only need to be within about 50 yards for your phone to detect the pokemon and attempt to catch it 50 yards away! You don't need to walk to the exact location which i guess is what people think... It saddens me that such a simple game can cause so many accidents and pedophiles to lure kids to their homes, and pricks snatching phones from glued eyes.

Edited by Kingdragon, 13 July 2016 - 09:44 PM.

#19 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:32 PM

I just played it now. Squirtle on my laptop, and then from there, nothing I can do for now, lol. Other things out in driving distance, but not walking distance. Chucking pokeballs using a swipe mechanic feels odd. I think it's more surprising that there's anything around here at all actually, considering this is Norfolk Virginia, lol. I fully expect a lot of water type Pokemon. There is a Goldduck nearby actually, so there's that. But I guess I just don't feel the buzz of "Real life trainer" from this. Maybe some day when VR evolves and they get full body VR machines going with this.

#20 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 14 July 2016 - 04:50 AM

You want an actual Pokemon game on mobile?  Take a look at EvoCreo.

Sorry, but that's not an actual Pokémon game. Pokémon Go is. :P

Been walking with my brother to catch Pokémon. We got a good location so we've been going on daily walks. For something basic, it's pretty neat. I see the appeal of it being basic since it allows a larger audience which is making the game sell like crazy. Honestly if you're looking for a less basic Pokémon game just play the mainstream titles. Honestly not sure why people are surprised Pokémon Go is basic.

It is frustrating to see people taking the game to the point where people look away from the road while driving and whatnot (never seen people here do it though). People should always play games responsibly.

• Eddy likes this

#21 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 14 July 2016 - 08:27 AM

I watched the video, and I admit that as far as Pokemon knockoffs go, that looks really fun and adds in a few pretty good new ideas into the formula.

I forgot to to reply to this; it adds the most needed feature of all time to Pokemon.  One that should've been there since the beginning:  Swappable Moves.  This would make the whole HM Slave ordeal totally moot, since you could just swap out the HM moves (or not even have them in the battle movepool at all, and just have ACCESS to them on the overworld).  So now, instead of always lugging around 1 or 2 Pokemon you'll never use in battle, but just have for HM Move access for overworld traversal, now every slot is used for something you want and will use for battling.

Edited by Koh, 14 July 2016 - 08:31 AM.

#22 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 14 July 2016 - 08:41 AM

For those who have been playing it, do you think it is a fad or not? I mean can you see yourselves playing it after the hype dies down?

-Strike

#23 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 14 July 2016 - 07:16 PM

The plaza I work at was full of would-be aspiring trainers today. I guess it's a PokePlace on a lot of maps.

As far as it being a fad, it might be, but it surely hasn't apexed yet, and even when it does I'm sure millions will still play it.

It's the highest user base mobile game in the world, surpassing Candy Crush, in record breaking time. It's also passed Instagram, Tindr, and Facebook in daily uses and it is on path to surpass Twitter, and even Google Maps. So this fad is far from over :P

Plus they're most likely gonna add more Pokémon. It only has the first 151 as of now.

#24 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 14 July 2016 - 07:48 PM

What I find funny is that people are calling it innovative, when it's just a reskin of this company's other game, Ingress, that functions in exactly the same way.  The coat of paint goes a long way it seems.

I also got EvoCreo today.  Sprites are good and well animated (well, at least battle sprites.  Overworld is the simple 1, 2, 1 3 thing).  The first impression of the gameplay is good, but also RUNNING SHOES, WHERE ARE YOU!  That's the one thing you DON'T need to copy from Pokemon; you copy the good game mechanics, not the bad ones, lol.

Edited by Koh, 14 July 2016 - 07:53 PM.

#25 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 14 July 2016 - 11:15 PM

It's absolutely a fad, since the gameplay isn't even close to being exciting enough to hold up on its own in the long term. That said, while the game is definitely buggy as hell and mechanically underwhelming, it's interesting enough to grab the attentions of millions of players in the short term (including myself). Hunting Pokemon in the real world is fun, plus it gets you out of the house and walking around. Once you "catch em all" the end game is next to nothing so it'll crash and burn after that... at least until they release gen 2 pokemon into the wild, then it'll get huge again for a few weeks. Hopefully by the time a few gens have rolled by they'll have some more engaging gameplay mechanics to keep people playing.

The community/rivalry aspect is a lot of fun too, albeit frustrating - especially for noobs like me. But fuck me, the bugs... awful. Like, wild-metapod-that-only-knows-harden awful.

#26 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 15 July 2016 - 02:19 AM

What I find funny is that one of its biggest plus-points is the social aspect. Because of the actual hype it is generally accepted in public and if something really bad should happen it most likely will be swallowed by the hype train. I am pretty sure in not too much time the hype will be over, the interest goes down and society will slowly start to look down on the people that keep playing it, making the social aspect a minus-point of the game. Not to mention the high amount of people that got into accidents because of the game will make far bigger waves by then, especially with some real scandals regarding children. Since games always make good scape goats.

Also I think since it is pokemon it managed to get attention from a big amount of people (from what I saw - especially in college :) - pokemon seems to be one of the most liked games for smartphone anyway; I mean older games emulated and such). And the big fan base made it possible. But knowing Nintendo it will be a bit too slow in improving the game and others will throw out clones that are not really a concurrence (so far they not make a really good game and get lucky to get enough attention for some time), but will rip apart the pokemon go community if the first start to be bored and try other games out.

Though honestly it would be great if pokemon go will improve the public opinion of games a bit and if the game itself should be able to improve enough over time to be fun enough to create a great gaming community around it.

On a side note, have seen some media about it (in television since I am not a big youtube fan), but didn't play it my self so far, don't have a good enough smartphone anyway.
  • Jared likes this

#27 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 15 July 2016 - 03:16 AM

Yeah, the craze is obviously going to die down eventually but I can still see myself playing it every now and then. Good reason to go out for a walk, you know? Been finding it hard to get outdoors without a reason nowadays.

What I find funny is that people are calling it innovative, when it's just a reskin of this company's other game, Ingress, that functions in exactly the same way.  The coat of paint goes a long way it seems.

I also got EvoCreo today.  Sprites are good and well animated (well, at least battle sprites.  Overworld is the simple 1, 2, 1 3 thing).  The first impression of the gameplay is good, but also RUNNING SHOES, WHERE ARE YOU!  That's the one thing you DON'T need to copy from Pokemon; you copy the good game mechanics, not the bad ones, lol.

So you're dismissing Pokémon Go as an unoriginal game just with a new coat of paint yet you praise a Pokémon knockoff as if it's the best thing ever? Dunno, just seems pretty funny to me personally.  :P

• Daniel likes this

#28 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 15 July 2016 - 05:34 AM

The difference being I never called EvoCreo innovative, though I did say it adds the most needed feature Pokemon has needed since the beginning, which is Swappable Moves.  It does at least add some things to the mix that make things more interesting, like Trainer skills and having evolution based off of what types of moves you use (affinity).  Other than that, it's the real Pokemon game GameFreak/The Pokemon Company should've given us on mobile, since mobile became a huge market for games.  And PC for that matter. To miss out on either of these huge markets intentionally literally makes no sense from a business perspective, for these AAA companies that have established an audience for years and are making millions on these sorts of franchises, but perhaps GO will convince them to try at some point.

Edited by Koh, 15 July 2016 - 05:39 AM.

#29 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:10 AM

Pokemon Go has more daily uses than Facebook at this point, and it's apparently not a real Pokemon game? You're right, this is the new social media thing, it's bigger than Pokemon.

• Shane and coolgamer012345 like this

#30 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:30 AM

The same manner in which Hyrule Warriors is not a real Zelda game, or Pokemon Conquest and Pokken are not a real Pokemon games, and no one would call them that.  I seriously don't see what's so hard to understand about this concept; it plays nothing like any of the real games would, or even any of the established spinoffs like Mystery Dungeon or Ranger, and lacks the depth of the real games.  That doesn't make it bad, that just makes it different.  Just like being a clone doesn't inherently make something bad, there are good clones out there, like Crystalis or Golden Axe Warrior to Zelda.

I say GO as a game is average from what I've played, but at least it's got the social layer going on.  If they expand on it in the future, that'll be good.  I don't even mean just adding more generations worth of monsters, but actually making the battle system the same layered thing it is in the real games, and some new mechanics to play around with.  But it's not innovative, Ingress has been doing this type of gameplay since 2013 at least, so to say it is would be factually incorrect.

Edited by Koh, 15 July 2016 - 06:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users