• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 Bokoblin

Bokoblin

added tree hair

• Members

Posted 04 March 2023 - 09:07 PM

5eAyqyl.png

Your first encounter with the Lizalfos in the Faron Grove.

Militaristic, cruel, and borderline feral, the Lizalfos and their ilk took over the Faron region around a couple years back. Most of their weaker warriors possess weapons that act as a missing link between a sword and a boomerang. The rest summon ghost swords out of thin air and use them in their attacks.

Lizalfos are the definition of a glass cannon. Just one of their attacks is enough to instantly kill someone, but they are very frail, and can be struck down quite quickly. The only exception to this rule is the Dynalfos, who are often found leading Lizalfos groups. Dynalfos spit streams of fire, and, unlike their lesser counterparts, can hold their own in melee.

Lizalfos have a streak of violence to them. Their favorite method of killing is carving off someone's face using their sword-like boomerangs. They then eat the fresh corpse raw, bones and everything. Gotta keep your jungle clean, am I right?

#17 Professor Bedwetter

Professor Bedwetter

Strangers when we meet

• Members

Posted 04 March 2023 - 09:48 PM

Tree hair

Trair
  • Magi_Hero, Naldrag, Shane and 1 other like this

#18 Bokoblin

Bokoblin

added tree hair

• Members

Posted 05 March 2023 - 02:35 AM

BY7B3mZ.png

screw it, tree hair lore

Salix arborifloofus, or the emo willow, is a tree exclusive to the Faron region that has bright blue shaggy leaves that resemble the local emo chick's hair.

The emo willow's leaves have immense magical properties, and Lizal witches typically use them in potions.

When there is immense Baba growth on the tree, the tree fuses together with the parasitic Babas and creates a powerful monster called a Manhandla. The Babas create a pod around the tree that saps all the magic out of it, in order to fuel the new Manhandla's immense rage and hunger.

#19 Bokoblin

Bokoblin

added tree hair

• Members

Posted 05 March 2023 - 04:29 AM

yk6SMab.pngoLThf48.pngeOg4NMB.png

After a long, hard day of minor copyright infringement, I added a lot of new things to the upcoming Faron region. I'm almost finished with the enemies, too!

What do you notice about these images? Anything different?

#20 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 05 March 2023 - 02:03 PM

If I could offer some constructive criticism, I'd round out the mountains more similarly to how base Zelda 1 does it. I'd lessen the grass and give more white space so the screens are a little easier on the eye. The half trees in the last screenshot are rather odd looking, I'd remove them in favor of the full, 2x2 trees unless you can make proper 1 wide edits yourself, which you seem capable of doing. Speaking of, love your endeavor on the sprite work. I don't think it's quite Z1, but it certainly has a charm to them.

#21 Bokoblin

Bokoblin

added tree hair

• Members

Posted 05 March 2023 - 02:30 PM

To be fair, I never really liked some of the Z1 sprites. It was very much a game of its time, and the all one-color sprites sometimes look kinda ugly when not done well. It looks like a drawing by a 5-year old since it's all 1 color, so you don't really know what's going on with the sprite if the artist isn't that great. Like the Leevers for example. Does anyone know what a Leever is supposed to be? No, nobody does. The Leevers are supposed to be sand worms. But, sadly, they really don't look the part. The mandibles look like horns.

I am not a good enough spriter to make a Z1 style sprite look good, so sorry in advance.

What about the Lizalfos? Ether told me the Lizalfos look off. That they're too bright for this game and that the yellow ones in particular are butt ugly (too many colors clash).

The thing was, I designed the yellows to be a bit wild with colors, since they're in a jungle. Lots of animals that live in rainforests have crazy colors, and I'd imagine the yellows would be very bright to signify that they are dangerous.

Edited by Bokoblin, 06 March 2023 - 12:23 AM.

#22 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 05 March 2023 - 02:42 PM

To be fair, I never really liked Z1 sprites. It was very much a game of its time, and the all one-color sprites look kinda ugly. It looks like a drawing by a 5-year old since it's all 1 color, so you don't really know what's going on with the sprite. Like the Leevers for example. Does anyone know what a Leever is supposed to be? No, nobody does. The Leevers are supposed to be sand worms. But, sadly, they really don't look the part. The mandibles look like horns.
What about the Lizalfos? Ether told me the Lizalfos look off. That they're too bright for this game and that the yellow ones in particular are butt ugly (too many colors clash).

The thing was, I designed the yellows to be a bit wild with colors, since they're in a jungle. Lots of animals that live in rainforests have crazy colors, and I'd imagine the yellows would be very bright to signify that they are dangerous.

Fair! I just thought this was a Z1 expansion not a remake so I imagined keeping within the artstyle was some sort of priority here. I do think it's a lot more sophisticated to try and minimize the colour usage as using all the colours available feels more like a novice thing. But novice isn't a bad thing here, of course, as long as you are enjoying the process!

Sometimes having your sprites be left up to the player's imagination is a good thing, and I think that's one of the best things about Z1 for me. I wouldn't worry too much about making things too literal. Good luck with the project and spritework!

#23 Bokoblin

Bokoblin

added tree hair

• Members

Posted 05 March 2023 - 02:57 PM

not necessarily a remake, really only a few sprites need to be fixed. the octoroks, moblins, etc. look amazing.

now let's get down to brass tacks, faron is almost done, all i need is a boss fight and npcs.

apparently the Council of Creepy Old Men who Live in Caves are sleeping, because they ain't showing up to Faron. Do you need a cave for a Guy to spawn? I just want the Guys to say dialogue, but there's no option for that on Room Data for some reason.

i also need a questline, and that means another Guy. He may give you the short Hookshot so you can take out the Aeralfos, but he's not what he seems. Don't trust anything he says.

#24 Naldrag

Naldrag

Certified Idiot

• Members

Posted 05 March 2023 - 02:58 PM

To be fair, I never really liked Z1 sprites. It was very much a game of its time, and the all one-color sprites look kinda ugly. It looks like a drawing by a 5-year old since it's all 1 color, so you don't really know what's going on with the sprite. Like the Leevers for example. Does anyone know what a Leever is supposed to be? No, nobody does. The Leevers are supposed to be sand worms. But, sadly, they really don't look the part. The mandibles look like horns.

Then why do you insist on using the NES graphics?  It doesn't really make a lot of sense to make something in a graphics set you admittedly don't like.

#25 Bokoblin

Bokoblin

added tree hair

• Members

Posted 05 March 2023 - 03:00 PM

the octoroks, moblins, etc. look amazing.

-bokoblin

#26 Bokoblin

Bokoblin

added tree hair

• Members

Posted 05 March 2023 - 10:27 PM

iBB8knG.png

the blue lizalfos is the strongest lizalfos phenotype discovered. most blue lizalfos are skilled in magical attacks, even more so than their lesser yellow brethren.

in lizalfos tribes, only the strongest are permitted to have tails, and only those that have tails can mate. upon entering a lizalfos tribe, you have to partake in a brutal and humiliating ritual in which your tail is slowly carved off by a tribal elder. if you prove your worth, you are allowed to let your tail grow back. if you don't, your tail has to be "trimmed" regularly.

this is why only blue lizalfos and dynalfos have tails, the rest don't.

#27 Bokoblin

Bokoblin

added tree hair

• Members

Posted 06 March 2023 - 12:12 AM

yo why does "lit bomb" not have a texture...?

it looks enough like an explosion so im rolling with it.

#28 Bokoblin

Bokoblin

added tree hair

• Members

Posted 06 March 2023 - 04:55 PM

JmF9eBd.jpg

this cool or no

this is what i meant when i said "im redesigning sprites"

ill only redesign the dumb-looking ones

zelda 1 wizzrobes are the definition of dumb

also their design doesn't work with the lore of tloz expanded

• Professor Bedwetter, Shane and Jenny like this

#29 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 06 March 2023 - 06:17 PM

looks great dude

#30 Bokoblin

Bokoblin

added tree hair

• Members

Posted 06 March 2023 - 11:31 PM

even the tree hair guy liked it! yep i'm definitely doing this after i learn how to script (some of my first scripts will be attacks for wizzrobes)

• Shane likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users