Photo

Sonic Forces

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#61 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 15 September 2017 - 01:04 AM

So Infinite possibly a creation of Eggman. There's two jokes to be made here.

Lore joke: I see Eggman's following in his grandfather's footsteps.

Meta joke: Infinite really is the perfect OC!

• Adem likes this

#62 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 19 September 2017 - 01:56 PM

... you said what.

#63 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 19 September 2017 - 03:46 PM

If nothing else, I can at least say the sound track is going to really good. Is it just me, or am I hearing bits of the words/ vocal melody from Bio Lizard's fight?

#64 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 19 September 2017 - 03:49 PM

Nope. Those are definitely there.

#65 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 19 September 2017 - 06:24 PM

Yeah, it's totally a remix of Supporting Me.

As far as that snippet of gameplay, it looks alright. Tbh, it's still not my favorite style, and the homing attack looks cool, but like it might get repetitive. Like I said, I'm cautiously optimistic. I think at the very worst, the game will be just "okay" but it has potential. I also hope these are placeholder graphics for those small platforms, cause it's always irked me when I see these 3D Sonic games with these gorgeous backgrounds, then the actual level platforms are plain as hell. It's nit picky, but it looks lazy  :P

• Adem likes this

#66 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:03 PM

UHM.

This is a game changer, pun very intended.

#67 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:49 PM

Right there on the Steam page, confirmation that... Denuvo's back again. Sega... why? It makes no goddamn sense. DRM doesn't belong on singleplayer games. DRM doesn't belong period but still.

#68 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 21 September 2017 - 03:51 PM

You would have thought the massive backlash they got for adding Denuvo to Mania would've dissuaded them. Especially since it was cracked in a week so a whole lot of good it did them. But if Sega wants to be dumb, let them. Not like I was planning on getting the game anyways, but now I'm even less inclined to.

#69 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 22 September 2017 - 06:43 AM

Seriously, DRM in this game too? When will publishers and developers understand that DRM is complete crap and an hindrance? Thankfully i wasn't interested in this game at all, but it still pisses me off whenever it's in a game that is mostly single player focused.

#70 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:34 AM

At the risk of sounding like an utter ignoramus on a gaming forum, could anyone explain DRM to me in a bit more detail? To be honest, I've become a bit of a casual in recent years and I don't fully understand the specifics of this controversy surrounding DRM.

From what I gather, it typically results in games being more expensive, despite also being embarrassingly ineffective. Obviously, this is...annoying. However, I've heard a lot of people make the claim that DRM is destroying the gaming industry, and I'm surprised to hear that this is a deciding factor for some regarding their purchase of Sonic Forces.

Is it simply a matter of not wanting to support a pointless and more expensive practice? Or is there more behind it?

Please educate me!

Edited by Adem, 22 September 2017 - 09:35 AM.

• Anthus and Cukeman like this

#71 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 22 September 2017 - 10:22 AM

From what I gather, it typically results in games being more expensive, despite also being embarrassingly ineffective. Obviously, this is...annoying. However, I've heard a lot of people make the claim that DRM is destroying the gaming industry, and I'm surprised to hear that this is a deciding factor for some regarding their purchase of Sonic Forces.

DRM, or "Digital Rights Management" is software packed with a game that usually requires the user to have an internet connection to play the game. It's supposed to be an anti piracy measure, but people always crack it. This isn't always the case, but it's controversial none the less.

It doesn't necessarily increase the price though. This particular drm, Denuvo is highly controversial.

Further reading, if you're interested:
DRM: https://en.m.wikiped...ghts_management

Denuvo: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denuvo
  • Adem likes this

#72 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:31 AM

"Cracking" DRM is the equivalent of removing the DRM illegally. DRM is also sometimes called "Copy Protection".

DRM serves no purpose other than to restrict how the software can be utilized. It might prevent you from being able to play a game while disconnected from the internet for example, or limit the number of times a game can be installed on different hardware configurations. It can also limit your ability to modify the game files (it checks if the files have been changed and generates an error that stops the game from working if the files have been tampered with).

DRM can also do stuff in the background that can potentially hurt system performance, create system security risks and other nasty stuff if it is not properly coded, maintained, and/or isn't properly implemented in to the game software. Here is an example of things going wrong: https://en.wikipedia...rootkit_scandal

In ye olden days the commonly used DRM schemes were SecuROM and Safedisc. The latest and newest DRM scheme is called Denuvo.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 22 September 2017 - 11:49 AM.

• Anthus and Adem like this

#73 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 22 September 2017 - 01:46 PM

Yeah, like they said, DRM generally sets restrictions on what you can do with the game, occasionally reducing performance to do so. These restrictions can range from annoying (can only have the game installed on a single machine at a time. What if I want to install it on a laptop for going on a trip, but my desktop lets me crank up the settings and runs smoother?) to harmful. (One instance of Denuvo has been reported to actually damage hard drives from the sheer number of read/writes it forces)

Generally, pirates figure out how to remove it, or "crack" it, and upload their own version without the DRM. This ultimately means that in the end, the people who pirate the game often end up with a better version of the game than the people who actually pay for it, and it's very rare for a game company to remove the DRM even after it's already been cracked and is now useless.

Denuvo has gotten an incredibly bad reputation in particular after the earlier-mentioned hard drive issue. This caused a rather big fiasco regarding Sonic Mania. The PC release was delayed for two weeks for supposed "performance issues", and people who had pre-ordered the game were given a free copy of Sonic 1 (a poorly-emulated version, not the newer and upgraded port) as a sort of apology. When the PC version was finally released, SEGA failed to inform people that they had included Denuvo in the game, which infuriated a huge number of people. Many of these people demanded refunds, but since they had gotten that Sonic 1 gift, it had triggered the two-week countdown on the refund deadlines, so they couldn't refund the game when it came out. (Many of these people have figured this whole mess was intentional)

Further, between the people who finally did get Steam to refund their game and the people who decided to boycott Sonic Mania because of Denuvo being included, it hurt sales quite a lot. Considering fans have been asking for over a decade for a Classic Sonic styled game like Mania, the dropped sales figures were a disaster because they're preventing the company from seeing just how much demand there has been for such a game.

Now, to tie this all back into Forces, we're at a bit of a worrisome spot regarding the DRM. The Sonic Mania developers were against including Denuvo at all, and while they were forced to implement it, they intentionally went with the most bare-bones and useless implementation because they know that the Sonic community loves picking apart and modding these games. Since SEGA's main team is doing Forces, they might implement a stricter version of Denuvo that will prevent file editing at all, and essentially kill the modding community unless they pirate the game once Denuvo's been cracked. (And quite a lot of people have been looking forward to modding Forces. Just look at how many Sonic Generations level mods there are already on YouTube.)

• Anthus, Nicholas Steel, Adem and 3 others like this

#74 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 25 September 2017 - 01:21 PM

what

#75 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 25 September 2017 - 02:19 PM

Yeah, did he just call Amy, "Daisy"?

I’ve watched him avoid Daisy for years, but now it seems he’s got his eyes set on other things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users