Photo

Screenshot of the Week 331

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

Poll: ! (68 member(s) have cast votes)

!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:07 AM

Yeah, it takes more than a week for me to design a subscreen, and I'm not really gonna put my time there
if I'm not going to be making a ZC game to make use of it, that would be pretty unreasonable. I'm
already working on more than one quest so...yeah.

In my opinion, I just don't see it as an issue, since most entries just use the default subscreen and aren't
marked down for not creating a new subscreen every time. I could've used a default subscreen, but it
would've looked horrible for my screen, so I would be marked down for a default subscreen, in a case
where no one else would... well whatever icon_confused.gif

EDIT: Funny thing about the floorboards is that it looked terribly dull having them all be horizontal,
the vertical ones would be 'repairs', if you know what I mean. Functional, but not too stylish, much like the
Ganados. The ideas about making floorboards that transitioned to dirt was excellent, as was the idea for
vertical separations of the really long floorboards - I just didn't see those tiles - if they exist icon_smile.gif

Edited by Cukeman, 05 August 2011 - 01:35 PM.

#17 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:10 AM

QUOTE(Radien @ Aug 2 2011, 08:04 AM) View Post

It looks generally pretty good, but it feels a little... gritty. Does this screen have sand flying across it?

Ashes, I bet.

Cukeman, do you know that those dirt tiles with crosses on them aren't supposed to be visible? Just used under a tree or at the lowest tiles on the screen (those that don't show the lowest 8 pixels).

I voted for HollowKnight in the end.

#18 HollowKnight

HollowKnight

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:41 AM

QUOTE(Radien @ Aug 2 2011, 02:04 AM) View Post

HollowKnight:

It looks generally pretty good, but it feels a little... gritty. Does this screen have sand flying across it? I'm guessing it does, but that particular graphic doesn't show up very well in still frame; it just makes the screen look speckly. Anyway, the best thing about your entry is that the colors look rich despite the heavy use of Pure/GB tiles. Actually, though, is this Pure Remembrance? Or is it DoR with some ripped Pure tiles?

Yes, it has ash and dust flying across the screen. Or that is the idea anyway. And it is the Lost Isle tileset, so Pure Remembrance with some custom tiles I believe.

#19 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE(Twilight_Knight @ Aug 2 2011, 04:10 AM) View Post
Cukeman, do you know that those dirt tiles with crosses on them aren't supposed to be visible? Just used under a tree or at the lowest tiles on the screen (those that don't show the lowest 8 pixels).

Didn't know that's how they were intended to be used, but I like how they look

Edited by Cukeman, 02 August 2011 - 09:38 PM.

#20 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:03 PM

I voted HollowKnight because of the vibrant, but suiting, color usage. Pabru was close, but I feel the grass clashes with the rest of the tiles. Good shots all around, though. icon_thumbsup.gif

#21 HollowKnight

HollowKnight

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:48 PM

Aw c'mon... all the voting stopped right as we are so close icon_lol.gif

#22 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:10 PM

It was a close call between HollowKnight and Pabru for me...in the end, I went with HollowKnight. I really can't say why. I guess in the end it was really just a tileset decision for me...

#23 Pabru

Pabru

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:13 PM

All the voting did what? 18 and 18 er... um. Female dogs.

#24 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE(Cukeman @ Aug 2 2011, 12:09 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Twilight_Knight @ Aug 2 2011, 04:10 AM) View Post

I didn't notice that you'd done that originally.

Yes, TK is right: the ground tiles with an X on them are only meant to mark unwalkable ground that is obscured by an object on a higher layer.

Why in the world do you like them? It's just an unwalkable X on the ground. Why is an X supposed to be unwalkable? icon_confused2.gif Someone drew a light-brown X on the ground and said "don't walk here?"...

Placing squares of dirt right on top of floorboards also looks wrong, not to mention those filled-up dirt holes that litter the floor... I can't believe I didn't notice those things at first glance. This screen has problems.

#25 Soarin

Soarin

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:28 PM

Wow! HollowKnight that shot is just breath taking. icon_smile.gif

#26 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Aug 3 2011, 07:18 PM) View Post

I didn't notice that you'd done that originally.

Yes, TK is right: the ground tiles with an X on them are only meant to mark unwalkable ground that is obscured by an object on a higher layer.

Why in the world do you like them? It's just an unwalkable X on the ground. Why is an X supposed to be unwalkable? icon_confused2.gif Someone drew a light-brown X on the ground and said "don't walk here?"...

Placing squares of dirt right on top of floorboards also looks wrong, not to mention those filled-up dirt holes that litter the floor... I can't believe I didn't notice those things at first glance. This screen has problems.

The dirt with the X, looks like dirt with litter, bones, fossils or whatever - it just looks more interesting than plain dirt that's all.
I think the X tile is just used to check your placement of objects. I already said above that I agree that the floorboards need
a transition to dirt. No biggie though.

#27 Cosmic Kid

Cosmic Kid

Jj

• Members

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:41 AM

Out of the four, HollowKnight's just stands out more to me.

#28 HollowKnight

HollowKnight

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 04 August 2011 - 12:23 PM

Thank you for the kind words everyone. I guess the voting didn't stop...

#29 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 04 August 2011 - 06:48 PM

QUOTE(Cukeman @ Aug 1 2011, 10:15 PM) View Post

Am I to understand you've never played Resident Evil 4, or is it my design that's confusing you?
00:39 - 00:55 (YouTube) (conversation cutscene skipped)

The design is just bad, the tiles dont flow together well, especially in the wood flooring.

#30 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:28 PM

HollowKnight's is great. Not the most unique thing I've ever seen, but it's interesting and the colors aren't too bad. I actually kind of like the way the sea in the background contrasts against the sunset. I suppose realistically the entire sea would be turning orange if the sun where setting, but who cares? :> It looks good aesthetically and having some blue in there breaks up any potential color monotony. That's all that matters.

Pabru's screen is a perfect example of how a bad palette can ruin an otherwise excellent shot. That dirt color is just really really bad. And the color of those trees and grass is just WAY too saturated--it's practically #00FF00 green. I hate to be mean, but color choice is the thing people notice in a screen at first glance, the #1 thing that contributes to atmosphere, and it should be the starting point for every screen. It really surprises me that I'm saying this about one of Pabru's screens, too; the palette in your submission last week was one of the best I've seen in a while. They were unorthodox color choices, yeah, but perfect for a dreamy sort of area and they weren't overly saturated and they contrasted well. So what happened? icon_frown.gif
The positive: the layout is great and the tiles are rarely seen. They are kind of cartoony but if that's the style you're going for then that's fine.

Cukeman's has an interesting concept and it wouldn't be terribly bad if it weren't for the layout issues. I can understand why there'd be open patches of dirt in it if you're trying to give the impression of a house that's been ruined or is dilapidated, but there's no transition--that, and even in a ruined house, the orientation of the floorboards wouldn't just randomly change direction. I know they're supposed to be "repairs", as you said, but just flipping the tiles ain't gonna cut it if that's what you wanna convey. icon_unsettled.gif Perhaps some dilapidated pieces of wood with visible nails drawn on top over dirt (where you can still see the dirt beneath peeking through a bit) might work, yeah? Roughing out the edges of the wooden bits to show decay would work pretty nicely too, I think.
The house is a little too open, too, I think. I don't really like how the top half of the screen cuts off on the left, and ... I'm not normally too strict on corners being open, but this isn't an example of a screen where open corners actually work.
And I know it may seem a little rude that people are criticizing the design of the screen without understanding the origins, but lemme be honest here: This is a screenshot contest. icon_razz.gif The only thing that matters in these contests is eye candy (and I wouldn't take it too seriously for that very reason). It may be a great screen functionally, and a great homage to Resident Evil 4 (not that I've played the game, but...), but if it don't look good, people ain't gonna vote for it.

Jared's is... well, it's good, but I basically echo Pabru's sentiment on it. It's one of those screens where all the details and stuff are in the right place but it doesn't really come together as an amazing screen. It's still solid though, just not incredible. It's just one of those screens where... it probably looks good in the context of a quest, but in the context of a screenshot it doesn't really lend itself well. Yeah? Don't take this to mean it's bad or anything, 'cause it's a good screen.
I don't really like the palette, though. I never have liked that palette. Or any of the Pure Dark World palettes. I still think the best "dark world" palette in any ZC screen I've seen is... uh... the LTTP one being used verbatim in the LTTP Tileset.

Edited by Rambly, 05 August 2011 - 01:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users