• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:40 AM

I'm using windows 7 on this computer.

I have loaded a quest, then after making changes, I saved it under a different name. For some reason the .qst file doesn't appear in the file manager! I have tried to save it under different names, in different folders, etc. no can do, the .qst file just won't appear.

What is really strange is that the file is there somewhere, because I can load it from ZQuest! But it doesn't appear at all in Windows.

Any help is appreciated icon_smile.gif

EDIT: The new files end up in Users/blabla/AppData/Local/VirtualStore Strange??

Edited by Jamian, 25 March 2011 - 05:43 AM.

#2 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:19 AM

You should state what version/build you are using. There are sinfigant diffrences between 2.10 and the 2.5 builds.

From what you said; I assume it to be a 2.10 problem, which I will be of no further help of (I use the 2.5 builds).

#3 Colossal

Colossal

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:21 PM

Try checking this folder (You might need to show hidden files and folders; this can be done through folder options in the control panel):

C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore

Sometimes, Windows 7 will save the file there if it has to and the program can still find it.

Edit: Oh, sorry, I missed your edit. That folder is used when saving a file would otherwise require administrative privileges.

Edited by Colossal, 28 March 2011 - 10:26 PM.

#4 Rex-Leviathan

Rex-Leviathan

Lost, Loneliness, Liberation!

• Members

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:05 AM

so how should we didable/bypass this:
that folder is used if saving would require administrator priveledges

#5 Colossal

Colossal

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:48 PM

To prevent files being saved to the VirtualStore folder, install ZC into a folder that you have full control over, such as your documents folder. If ZC is in a folder that requires administrative privileges to write to, such as Program Files, this will happen because those privileges are not given to programs by default in Windows Vista/7.

Edit: Also, this means that if you want to move ZC from Program Files and keep what you have, you will also have to move the files from VirtualStore to the new folder and change the quest directory setting in ag.cfg to match the new folder (or delete ag.cfg and let ZC recreate it, though other settings will be lost).

Edited by Colossal, 29 March 2011 - 01:17 PM.

#6 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 29 March 2011 - 04:41 PM

Yeah, Windows 7 is a pain in the butt when it comes to administrator settings. Try this. In Windows Explorer, go to the folder you want the quests saved in (probably the ZC folder). Right click anywhere in it, properties. Turn off "Read-only" (assuming you're an administrator). It might not work, as it's only worked some of the time for me, and I don't remember how I got around it, but it's worth trying. I don't know why Windows 7 has to be such a pain about this stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users