• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#16 peteandwally

peteandwally

chiubicabachiukicaca

• Members

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

QUOTE(klop422 @ Jan 30 2013, 05:01 PM) View Post

I can't get the file... It wants me to get some "rocket download" that I don't want. can you upload it somewhere else mabye?

here ya go

#17 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

Wow, so you can actually have a "collect 20 custom tokens and a guy gives you an item" kind of side quest without the need to use scripting!

So use the \6\x\x\x code in the string editor to determine how many "tokens" are needed,
then if the conditions are met, it takes you to a string that gives you an item. Wonderful!
But the \16\x code gives the item to Link silently... is the any way to have Link hold up the item? With scripts I assume...

#18 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

or check the screen flag,"hold up item" it should work but it might not

#19 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

No, I'm afraid not. You can do that with a script, but it's a messy process. It's simpler to use the play SFX code and integrate the item description text with the string.

#20 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:56 AM

I can't get my custom counter to work. In my test quest I created a new item (skulltula) and set the item's counter reference to Script 1.

On my suscbreen I have a counter for Script 1 but whenever I collect a skulltula the counter still shows 0. Any ideas what I may be doing wrong?

#21 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

Ok I got the counter to work finally (by setting the Increase Counter Max number to 1 in the item editor).

However, now I cannot get the string stuff to work. I tried to set up a guy who gives me an item if I have collected 3 skulltulas. The guy says "collect 3 skulltulas and you get something nice" and with that string I have the code \6\11\3\3 but it doesn't take me to the string number 3 even if I have 3 skulltulas collected. 11 is script 1 isn't it, or do I have that wrong?

Edited by Peteo, 09 February 2013 - 11:55 AM.

#22 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

• Members

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

For the Skulltula item, set the "Increase capacity" (or whatever it's called) to the maximum number of tokens you can get, and set the "But not above" box to the same number.

This gives each Skulltula a "quiver" feature, giving you the capacity to hold them. Otherwise, picking them up is like grabbing arrows without a quiver.

#23 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

QUOTE(MoscowModder @ Feb 9 2013, 06:56 PM) View Post

For the Skulltula item, set the "Increase capacity" (or whatever it's called) to the maximum number of tokens you can get, and set the "But not above" box to the same number.

This gives each Skulltula a "quiver" feature, giving you the capacity to hold them. Otherwise, picking them up is like grabbing arrows without a quiver.

Yeah, just figured that out before you posted.
But could you have any idea what I might be doing wrong with my message strings since the string won't go to string number 3 as I said in the post before you. I'd love to get this skulltula stuff to work. icon_smile.gif

#24 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

Hm, I'm not sure why it won't work for you. In my test quest, I only used built in items, and haven't messed with the 'goto if counter' stuff as much yet. Maybe see if it works with another counter type to see whether or not it is ZC?

I do have a question however. Let's say I want to have 50 be the max, and you get something new every time you bring the guy 10. To get this to work, I was thinking of putting five different codes in before the string, each one checking for 50, 40, 30, 20, 10 (The highest number needs to be first, otherwise, it will never check for anything past 10) then it should go to another string which gives you the item. My question is, will this work work if you get, say, 12, but maybe skip the '20' reward, and come back after 30? Will it still trigger the item/ string for stuff you already passed, and can you make that happen only once? I hope this makes sense mostly.

If my first method is too much, I'll just use different characters for each amount like in OoT.

But I agree with you, Peteo, I had a similar response when I found out about control codes icon_smile.gif

#25 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

I just can't get the \6\x\x\x code to work. I tried with different items. With script 1 (#11) nothing happened, and with bombs (#2) the string just disappears and doesn't take me to the string it is supposed to.

Has anyone even tried to fool around with these string codes? At least the goto if counter code seems not to be working at all. icon_frown.gif

Edited by Peteo, 15 February 2013 - 12:28 PM.

#26 HylianGlaceon

HylianGlaceon

Magus

• Members

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

That's the wrong number I think. I know offhand Script Counter #10 is 16 when used in String Control Codes. I believe that would make Script Counter #1 actually 7 when used in a String Control Code.

For reference, You can look at the Pickup tab with the counters and count down from Life (Life is Counter #0 in String Control Codes) to see which counter it is.

Another thing to note with ZC is that it reads the control codes as that number or higher. So if you have it set to switch at 15 on that counter and the player has say 47, it'll still switch. You can't have it only switch at a specific number unless you put multiple string control codes in a single string set to switch at different amounts. (I.e if you wanted the player to have a specific 15 in the counter, you'd have to put a control code to switch at 16 that comes before the 15 one to prevent them from getting it without having exactly 15)

Also, if you want a sound to be played when Link receives an item, you can always a sound with string control codes too.

#27 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

Yay, it seems like Script Counter #1 is number 7 indeed.

However, the \6\x\x\x code still doesn't take me to the string I want. When I have enough counter items collected, the message string with the number 6 code disappears the moment the string has finished and that's it, nothing else happens... Does the code work properly for you, HylianGlaceon? If it does, then why the heck isn't it working for me... O__o

Edited by Peteo, 15 February 2013 - 03:31 PM.

#28 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

• Members

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

The way all the "Switch to" codes work is that the string switches as soon as the code appears. So, what you'd usually want to do is put the switch code at the beginning of the string you don't want to display.

#29 HylianGlaceon

HylianGlaceon

Magus

• Members

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

Yeah, like MM said, you'll want to start the string with the string code and then the text. If the conditions to switch aren't met, the control code doesn't appear in the actual string and just the regular text will display anyway.

This is useful to remember as you can have multiple string control codes in a single string that can go to many different strings.

#30 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:13 AM

I finally got it to work! I just had to place the code before the message string, not after.

Thank you so much, guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users