So You Want To Make A Quest?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:32 AM

Hey King Aquamentus, just a minor issue. It appears a couple of images are broken in your original post, and I think they would really add a lot to your post (since you wouldn't have added them anyway if they didn't).

#32 Reese_Kaine

Reese_Kaine

• Members

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:34 AM

QUOTE(King Aquamentus @ Apr 12 2012, 08:29 AM) View Post

Zquest is only difficult to learn, in the same sense that Super Mario Bros. is difficult to complete: You'll be too busy enjoying that difficulty to really think about it. There are a lot of steps, yes, but once you learn them, you're pretty good. This is a primary reason why I heavily recommend you always start off with a classic style LoZ quest.

I think that, without a tutorial or someone to point it out, figuring out screen 80 is a little more complicated than JUMPING A GAP.

Just sayin'.

#33 James24

James24

Adept

• Banned

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:52 AM

Yeah true with that screen 80 - took me a while to figure out too.

#34 Dan358

Dan358

Whatever. I don't care.

• Members

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:26 PM

A full fledged 2.5 Tutorial might not be a good idea right now since 2.5 is still in the works, but i'm thinking about showing off my knowledge of it. I can say for a fact that everything I learned about in 2.5 I learned on my own by playing around with it. You can check out Bikdip's Tutorial (it uses 1.92 B183, but hey it's good) here. You can also check out a more modern tutorial (2.10 version) by Teamudf here.

Edited by Dan358, 09 June 2012 - 09:19 PM.

#35 Dwiese1998

Dwiese1998

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:38 PM

Teamudf's 2.10 tutorial is great we should redirect newbies there..
About a year ago i used bidkip's tutorial and I forgot it....
I came back 2 weeks ago and started watching Teamudf's tutorials and he does it in such an awesome way you cant forget it...

#36 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:58 PM

QUOTE(Hergiswi @ Apr 15 2012, 11:32 AM) View Post

Hey King Aquamentus, just a minor issue. It appears a couple of images are broken in your original post, and I think they would really add a lot to your post (since you wouldn't have added them anyway if they didn't).

Fixed.

Also, if you guys have links to these tutorials and other good resources, please link them.

#37 Riff

Riff

• Members

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:08 AM

Is there anyway these tutorials are in a text/picture format? I have really bad bandwidth where i'm currently at for the next 2 months, so youtube vids take about 3 hours to load 5 mins.I've been searching google for the past 3 hours with nothing good coming from it ><

#38 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:48 AM

QUOTE(Riff @ Jun 13 2012, 07:08 AM) View Post

Is there anyway these tutorials are in a text/picture format? I have really bad bandwidth where i'm currently at for the next 2 months, so youtube vids take about 3 hours to load 5 mins.I've been searching google for the past 3 hours with nothing good coming from it ><

Instinctively, I was going to suggest Alphadawg's ZQuest tutorial, but that appears to be down...I know LinkTheMaster and Nick are making a new text tutorial. Why not try that? It's incomplete, but it's better than nothing.

Edit: Disregard that, it looks like LTM and Nick made a backup of Alphadawg's tutorial: http://onesword.cele.....awg Tutorial/

Edited by Moosh, 13 June 2012 - 08:48 AM.

#39 Riff

Riff

• Members

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

QUOTE(Moosh @ Jun 13 2012, 09:48 PM) View Post

Instinctively, I was going to suggest Alphadawg's ZQuest tutorial, but that appears to be down...I know LinkTheMaster and Nick are making a new text tutorial. Why not try that? It's incomplete, but it's better than nothing.

Edit: Disregard that, it looks like LTM and Nick made a backup of Alphadawg's tutorial: http://onesword.cele.....awg Tutorial/

Wow thanks a bunch, i feel that 3 hours were utterly wasted. How did you find these so fast?

EditL It appears that the links for the offline tutorials are broken. No worries i'll just save all the pages manually.

Edited by Riff, 13 June 2012 - 09:00 AM.

#40 Nightmeres

Nightmeres

Defender

• Members

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:10 PM

one thing i have to add is that when i first saw bikdips tutorial, i used 2.5 946, the tutorial helped me alot. Also James, basing the fact that you got little to no help on this website when you were a newb does not mean everyone one on this sight are like that. Heck, i've had requests on here that people have compleatly ignored and others helped to the best to their ability. Just because newbies don't always give you credit or make stupid request that you think are newb questions or imposible to make, and then deciding you won't help other people, doesn't that make you the same as the people who didn't help you?.... icon_glare.gif

if i could i would make a tutorial on everything i know in 2.5. the thing is I have no midi capabilities right now so that isn't happening.

but if i see a topic with someone having a simmilar problem i had or know how to do somthing they are inqiering, i will always help them even if its newbish. Also if I havn't in the past i do plan on doing so now.

I've learned what i know by watching let's plays, tutorials, playing quests, and reading topics. I'm not saying i'm better then you or all of your points are wrong but teling people won't help them instead of actuly posting tips is actualy the same thing as not helping them. Therefor your sounding exactly like those anonamouse people who didn't help you. How does that make any one better then those who you clame won't help newbs.

people on this forum told me that i should quit quest making because they felt my screen design was terible.(How is this helping).

Here is what they should of said, (here are a few pointers)

we'll use this screen as a basis:base screen

how can we improve this, make the river into a cliftside by ading mountains indentented into the ground.

And make a screen similar to this:imroved screen
iknow its not perfect but its a start.

How did I do that? I did it by placeing tiles in this arangement.arrangment tutorial

now that isn't the best tutorial but bear with me i'm trying to explain something.

Did I get that kind of help, not even close.

I was told to give up on the quest because they thought I had terible screen design. they didn't give me tips on how to improve it.

Did i give up, no nor should any one else. now just because no one helped me with that particular post i made does that mean i should not help people who are new to zquest, no! i should give them tips on how i feel they could improve the screen. Now i understand the screen isn't the best and somepeople may give you the cold sholder, but basing your argument about purezc won't help you because some people didn't help you is really conveluted.

and I know nebs ask questions that alot of us have seen a tousand times, i'm guilty of it too. And i'm not saying that people should not try to learn things them selves.

One thing i have to say to nebs is if someone says your no good quit this project, or this is a terible idea doit my way, ignore them because its your quest. also if they give you criticism don't ignore it completly use some of the ideas they have that they think would improve your screen, most times it will.

And to get to my point, just because you didn't always get help here doesn't mean people won't help and saying that you won't help because newbies ask newb questions mkes you no different then the people who didn't help you and I know i said this about 3 times, don't go basing something you experienced a few times unleas you actualy base it on facts, because people have helped me out of my jams on this website.

I know people should go find out how to make screens or learn scripts etc themselves. However, alot of the times they don't know where to go to learn such things. direct them there when they ask. (even if they don't thankyou)

thats my rant, (sory for the rambling)

Edited by Nightmeres, 18 June 2012 - 06:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users