New GBC Tileset

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:42 PM

Currently I'm working on a new GBC Zelda set.
I'm sure you're all thinking 'why bother doing that, we already have x million GB sets', right?

Well, this one's going to be different (and hopefully better).

It's going to use the colours from the Oracles games for the palette.
And it's going to abide by the colour restrictions that the GBC had. Each of the sprite CSets only has 4 colours in it, rather than a huge amount of superfluous ones (like EZGBZ has).
Now, I know there are some sprites in the GB Zeldas which have more than 4 colours so I'm employing 8-bit mode for those.

IPB Image
That's what my palette looks like at the moment.
Obviously it doesn't have any of the level colours yet. Those will have more than 4 colours per CSet, but I'm not completely decided on the layout for them. I have the dungeon level palette organisation about 90% certain, but I haven't really touched on how the overworld level palettes will look yet. I know it doesn't accomodate properly for all of the LA tiles either, but those will just have to fit into this palette as best they can. I haven't found any major problems with the current ones so far.

I'm also hoping to get a much larger percentage of the tiles from the games than previous sets have had.
That's restricted really to me finding more sprite sheets than Akkabus did at the moment (although I have ripped quite a few tiles from the games), but if anyone wants to help in that aspect I'd be quite happy.

The other major thing though is that this is going to be a 2.5 tileset. I'm aware that this means I won't be able to upload it to PZC's database. Good thing we have CZC!
So (as you might've guessed), there'll have plenty of scripted items and such as per default, plus the other bog-standard ones (signpost, NPC etc), and hopefully some enemies, a GB-style scripted map and some others.

So what I'm after at the moment is:
  • Requests for which default items I should include. Not just scripted ones, I need to know which normal items we need too. Obviously I don't want to you to say 'sword' though.
  • Any help I could enlist in finding and ripping some of the sprites for weapons/NPCs that I may have missed so far
  • How interested you lot are?

#2 creatorofchaos

creatorofchaos

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:11 PM

Looks great,I"ll get some custom GB things off spriters resource,there are some enemies there that you can script for it.

#3 Questwizard

Questwizard

The Moldorm Guy

• Members

Posted 08 April 2009 - 03:36 PM

I would definitely include everything up to and including 2.5's current items, along with bombchus, shovels, and as many of the boss sprites from the games as possible (There's plenty of sheets lying around with those).

#4 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:09 PM

Thanks createrofchaos, that'd be great =)
I already have the deku baba sprites which I think I might write a script for, but I don't have any others yet.

I'm definately not including all of the items I can, sorry.
I'd rather go for quality over quantity.
Plus there are some that I just cannot stand. Such as the raft and the stepladder - you can count on those not being in it.

Bombchus and the shovel will be included though yes =)
Have you got any other suggestions, maybe of default items that you like or other GB items that haven't already been scripted?

I'm hoping to catch all of the boss sprites yeah.

#5 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:29 PM

You're going to include roc's cape, right?

How about the OoA Cane of Somaria?

Would it be too much to ask for an edit of Epona to work like Dimitri the Donongo?

#6 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:42 PM

Are you going to throw in the Rod of Seasons? :O Just wondering...

#7 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 08 April 2009 - 05:31 PM

Roc's Feather and Cape, yes.
I don't know about the Cane of Somaria.

I don't like Matthew's script for it, and if I edit his to fit he won't be very happy, so I'd have to start over...
Depends how I feel, but I'll put it on a 'perhaps' list or something.
Would be quite nice I suppose.

Dimitri is a definate no, sorry.
Epona was enough, I'm not planning on writing that again.

That does remind me though, I don't have any sprites for the three animal buddies yet. Does anyone know where I might get some?

Rod of Seasons; yes (because I already wrote the script for it), but it'd be likely to require some scripting knowledge to set it up properly.
It'd probably only be 'add in a check for these new DMaps into this if' though, which might sound horrible if you don't know anything about coding but it's really not.
I don't know about the harp. Probably though.

#8 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:12 PM

IPB Image

There's Tingle, not much of that pumpkin dude, and most of Ramrock.
Tingle and the Ramrock parts are worth ripping I guess, one tile of the pumpkin guy wouldn't be too helpful, and I ripped Ramrock in badly. icon_sorry.gif

Are you by any chance gonna set it up so the enemies have that black, red, and yellow 'hurt' palette from the GBC game? That would win forever.

#9 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:48 PM

The original GBC set was extremely problematic, the more recent one was pretty good.

But if you want to do your own... from the looks of it, you have a very good angle. So I say go for it. icon_smile.gif

Suggestion: there wouldn't really be any harm in duplicating CSet colors to avoid having to use 8-bit mode. It depends on what the tiles require, though. What do you think?

#10 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 09 April 2009 - 07:41 AM

QUOTE(Lithium @ Apr 9 2009, 01:12 AM) View Post
There's Tingle, not much of that pumpkin dude, and most of Ramrock.
Tingle and the Ramrock parts are worth ripping I guess, one tile of the pumpkin guy wouldn't be too helpful, and I ripped Ramrock in badly. icon_sorry.gif

Are you by any chance gonna set it up so the enemies have that black, red, and yellow 'hurt' palette from the GBC game? That would win forever.

Thanks, I'll rip those in later.
I don't think I'd be able to do that with the flashing though, no.

QUOTE(Radien @ Apr 9 2009, 04:48 AM) View Post
The original GBC set was extremely problematic, the more recent one was pretty good.

But if you want to do your own... from the looks of it, you have a very good angle. So I say go for it. icon_smile.gif
Suggestion: there wouldn't really be any harm in duplicating CSet colors to avoid having to use 8-bit mode. It depends on what the tiles require, though. What do you think?

Mm, EZGBZ is quite ok to use - the colours just look wrong when compared to the original games.

I could duplicate colours to do that, but I don't really want to. It'd be too easy to start adding extra colours into lots of tiles, which is really what I don't want.
I don't see any harm in using 8-bit mode.

#11 creatorofchaos

creatorofchaos

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:58 PM

IPB Image
Skull kid,oot style,also comes with majora's mask evil skkull kid.

#12 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 09 April 2009 - 02:23 PM

Ah, I already had that one acutally.

#13 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 09 April 2009 - 03:45 PM

Its a jpeg. You can't rip it. icon_shrug.gif

#14 creatorofchaos

creatorofchaos

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 09 April 2009 - 04:11 PM

Its a bitmap?Rippable.

#15 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 09 April 2009 - 04:23 PM

it has jpeggy artifacts. try ripping it and see what I mean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users