Photo

Zodiac, Story of the Guardian

• Please log in to reply
898 replies to this topic

#886 crowfeathers

crowfeathers

• Members

Posted 09 February 2016 - 01:01 PM

I do mean Scorpio, yes. And the solution is very obvious, as you say, but the physics don't work -- sometimes I will just fall right through a platform for no reason, and I will ALWAYS fall through one if I hit the bottom of another block while jumping to it.

But I really just think in general damage values or enemy placements are too high in the shmup sections -- the pisces corridor with the stun beam is required to progress at that point, and yet there are apparently unkillable enemies that fire unending streams of homing bullets. which you can shoot, if you haave enough missiles or energy to aim backwards, and each shot does 16 damage with the first shield upgrade (which is very easily missable in which case they'd do 32 of course). there are enemies that do this in multiple corridors and they are not suited at all to this type of game, considering your ship's weapons only go forwards and everything else is limited... but thats just my opinion ofc

Edited by crowfeathers, 09 February 2016 - 01:42 PM.

#887 C-Dawg

C-Dawg

Magus

• Members

Posted 10 February 2016 - 11:57 AM

What you're talking about are not bugs; they're features.  But I agree that they are design decisions that might not sit well with everyone.  Zodiac is hard, no doubt about it.  If you find yourself butting against a wall, you can always continue to explore and upgrade your status further, but I did not want the game to ever be too easy.  Generally, once you farm out the upgrades in new areas, things get more manageable again.  If you hunt for items systematically, eventually you will become a ruthless killing machine, so don't lose hope! By the time you're getting the Stun Beam, make sure you've upgraded all of your ship equipment to Level 2, at least.

There are a few places where the difficulty jumps up a notch and requires you to learn new skills and habits; the first trip to Aries is one such place, and the Corridor in Pisces is another.  Up until Pisces, you could just skip the corridors if you wanted to, but now you're forced to deal with it head-on.  When you get to Leo, you'll find yet another leap in difficulty.  

Also, the game is designed with the use of Life Tanks in mind.  Much like you wouldn't expect to beat a Final Fantasy game without drinking a cure potion, you're not expected to beat Zodiac without chugging a few Life Tanks here and there.  (I mean, except on Hard Mode, where you get none, and I think that might be flat-out impossible.)

Edited by C-Dawg, 10 February 2016 - 11:58 AM.

#888 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:19 PM

I mean, except on Hard Mode, where you get none,

Or give them to the players... right after they finish all the corridors and have beaten pretty much the entire game. To be even more of a jerk, take them away once you go to fight the final boss.

Edited by Dimentio, 10 February 2016 - 07:19 PM.

#889 crowfeathers

crowfeathers

• Members

Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:35 PM

The difficulty is up to you of course, but the platform thing was absolutely a bug. I'll see if I can reproduce it while recording tonight

e: https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.belike so

Edited by crowfeathers, 10 February 2016 - 10:51 PM.

#890 newstarshipsmell

newstarshipsmell

Musky Pawgazer

• Members

Posted 10 February 2016 - 10:08 PM

I do mean Scorpio, yes. And the solution is very obvious, as you say, but the physics don't work -- sometimes I will just fall right through a platform for no reason, and I will ALWAYS fall through one if I hit the bottom of another block while jumping to it.

I usually dash+jump from the left side of the lower room onto the block in the middle, then jump up and land on the higher platform, and wait for it to move right past the block. Then, if you time your jump up into the next room correctly, you'll jump up between the wall in the middle and the platform on the right, and landing on the platform, you can either jump right onto the lower ledge, and jump across to the door, or wait and jump up along the wall as the left platform swings right, and you can land on it and jump off again and up onto the central ledge. Shouldn't risk bumping your head on any ceilings either way, if you time it right.

The platforms resetting their initial position every time you enter the room is probably way simpler than trying to have their positions set to some sort of timer. It feels a little weird when they do that, but on the other hand, it's mighty convenient to know exactly where they "spawn" when entering a room, since that lets you plan a path/solution based on expecting them in certain places - tracking them based on some timer would make this much harder if not impossible.

And granted, the moving platforms act a bit buggy and are annoying, but they're worlds better than they used to be... At one time, they merely prevented you from falling through them, but would move out from underneath you unless you walked across the screen with them - and they moved at a different speed than your walking pace, so it made staying on top of them super-annoying. He finally fixed that, so they moved you across the screen with them, but then he added horizontal momentum and sliding to a stop to the game mechanics, and it worked not at all with the platforms. You would pretty much slide off of them as soon as you landed on them, no matter what you did, heh.

So the present form was a fix on top of that, and they work "good enough" for me. I'd rather he release the game next week with them as-is than spend any more time tweaking them - they're not really central to the game, and are oftentimes rendered obsolete or at least trivial to pass by the room design and/or further movement upgrades.

ETA: That doesn't really surprise me that bouncing off a ceiling causes you to fall through them for some reason. If that's easy to fix, I'd say fix it. If not, oh well. They do other wonderful things like if you jump into the side of one as it's moving towards you, you'll sometimes land on a halfrow inside it, unable to move left/right, and it slides through you, until you either fall out the far end or jump up, out of and land on top of it, then resume moving "normally" with it.

Edited by newstarshipsmell, 10 February 2016 - 10:12 PM.

#891 C-Dawg

C-Dawg

Magus

• Members

Posted 10 February 2016 - 11:35 PM

I'd rather he release the game next week with them as-is than spend any more time tweaking them

Okay, but let's be honest; I'm not spending my time tweaking them. I'm currently finishing up a sassy frog having a bath.

And anyway, it's not like I'm keeping the QST file hidden in the meantime, right?

#892 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 07 March 2016 - 05:50 PM

Hi. 

How is everything going? How much remains to finish the quest?

#893 C-Dawg

C-Dawg

Magus

• Members

Posted 07 March 2016 - 06:37 PM

Not much, really.  Mostly it's just finishing the manual and strategy guide.  I put it on hiatus for a minute (four months) while I tinkered with Demons of Scheherazade.  I wanted to get a demo done for Demons, with all the mechanics in place, because I wanted to ask the Zelda Classic Devs help make a version that can crap out .exe files.  I figured I couldn't really make that pitch without showing them I actually had a product to deliver if they can make that happen.  If they can do this, it helps Zodiac, too!

Anyway, now that the demo for Demons is out and away, I'll turn my attention back to the manual and strategy guide to try and wrap that up.  I'll also probably grab a Mojito, settle down, and re-watch MeleeWizards' lets play in its entirety and see if there any last minute tweaks or changes to make.

Edited by C-Dawg, 07 March 2016 - 06:38 PM.

• Air Luigi likes this

#894 newstarshipsmell

newstarshipsmell

Musky Pawgazer

• Members

Posted 18 April 2016 - 06:55 PM

Made any more progress lately?

#895 C-Dawg

C-Dawg

Magus

• Members

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:03 PM

Er... no? 

Honestly, it's not that I don't have time, its that I've been prioritizing other things.  I'll get back around to it, never fear!

• Deedee likes this

#896 BlueGlass

BlueGlass

• Members

Posted 09 April 2017 - 04:59 PM

Not sure if you're still around, but I want to say that this game is awesome.  There are a few issues I have with it, most notably the hitboxes being off frequently and getting hit by something clearly not touching me.

Aside from that, I've run into a major glitch: I cannot collect the walljump upgrade.  As the screen scrolls, I can see it sitting there for a brief moment, but after the transition, it disappears and the floor breaks as though I already collected it.  This is a problem, because I would like to progress further in the game.  Is there maybe some way I can edit my save file to add the upgrade to my inventory, or some other solution, or will I have to give up on finishing this very very fun game?

Also, the door from Pisces 0C to 0D doesn't work.

EDIT: And after starting the game over from the beginning twice, using both the right ZC version and quest file resulted in both issues going away.  now onwards to progress!

EDIT 2: And now the voltiac key didn't spawn... nevermind

EDIT 3: While doing another playthrough searching for the alternate route, that wallclimb boots glitch happened again.  Still not sure what triggers it, or what it means for accessing the magnet grabber, so I have now played through up to Iron IV four times.  Now to try and find whatever it is I'm missing.

EDIT 4: Just found the secret boss.  That fight was completely ridiculous, and I honestly don't know how you're supposed to complete it aside from just pounding away while chugging down life tanks.

Edited by BlueGlass, 14 April 2017 - 10:48 PM.

#897 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:04 AM

Dig Team Beta's room (or what I presume to be their room) in Cancer has no gravity.

Edited by Dimentio, 14 August 2017 - 12:09 AM.

#898 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators

Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:30 PM

Even more major, gamebreaking bug: 

Spoiler

EDIT: Another bug:

Spoiler

Also,

Hard Mode suggestion

Edited by Dimentio, 22 August 2017 - 10:37 PM.

#899 C-Dawg

C-Dawg

Magus

• Members

Posted 20 September 2017 - 02:53 PM

Hey all.

Just checked in for the first time awhile and... yipes! Those are pretty major bugs.  I will try to get on them this weekend!

As for another mode -- I agree more modes would be awesome, but I think four different endings AND boss rush AND corridor rush AND a hard mode are probably enough extras to add! I doubt many players will play what is already there until conclusion anyway!

Edited by C-Dawg, 20 September 2017 - 02:54 PM.

• SkyLizardGirl and Deedee like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users