if you're not drinking whole milk

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#16 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 25 July 2017 - 01:35 PM

As such, I am now a nut/soy milk drinker.

You're a nut milk drinker? :glare:

• Daniel and Jared like this

#17 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 25 July 2017 - 03:09 PM

You're a nut milk drinker? :glare:

There's a reason it's called almond milk, and not called nut juice.

#18 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 25 July 2017 - 03:29 PM

what if I'm not drinking milk at all?

checkmate, dairists.

#19 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 25 July 2017 - 03:44 PM

if you're not drinking whole milk...

...you're drinking half-carton? That's still a lot.

We have some local dairies who sell healthy raw milk fortunately. It's only unhealthy milk that needs Pasteurization.

#20 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:01 PM

I only drink Chateau Romani. There's this stuff that comes in a glass bottle form this farm in Wooster that I refer to as Chateau Romani. It's non-homogenized whole milk, and it's awesome. Other than that, we buy 2%, but I prefer whole. Skim sucks, imo. I'll drink almond milk, and stuff like that, but good ol' milk is still best.

• ShadowTiger, SpikeReynolds and Adem like this

#21 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:30 PM

I prefer 2%, personally. 1% and whole are both acceptable alternatives. Skim milk is an abomination and should be destroyed. At that point, why even bother? It's no longer milk; it's just the shambling, reanimated corpse of what was once milk.

I've never actually tried soy/almond/rice/what have you milk, though they do intrigue me.

#22 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:32 PM

I've never actually tried soy/almond/rice/what have you milk, though they do intrigue me.

Don't drink them expecting anything like regular milk. In my opinion, they too are abominations.

#23 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:35 PM

Don't drink them expecting anything like regular milk. In my opinion, they too are abominations.

Ah. Should've figured as much, but at the very least, the idea is interesting.

I don't buy cow's milk due to the dairy industry being, you know... evil (look it up).

I'm too busy/lazy to look this up. Do you have a tl;dr version or at least a link to where I can start researching? This is the first time I'm hearing of this.

#24 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:49 PM

This. If only people knew all the antibiotics and poisons that go into cows that produce milk, who are fed corn which cannot sustain them.

I'm sure they still predominantly eat grass, at least here in Australia. Much more efficient to just stick them in a paddock or throw them a hay bale while indoors. It's more the bobby calves I have issues with. Cows need to be kept pregnant in order to produce milk, and the calves (all the boys and a quarter of the girls) that are the result of this are considered waste. When they're about five days old they're crammed on a truck where they can't lie down (even though their legs aren't developed enough to stand for long periods of time), legally deprived of food for up to 30 hours (when they would otherwise be drinking their mother's milk five times a day) whilst driven to get slaughtered and exported for pennies as low quality dog food/hamburger meat. Same thing happens in the egg industry - the male chicks are considered waste and just destroyed. Wasteful, but at least it's vastly more humane in that case.

I've got nothing against meat/dairy farming inherently though, and the meat industry is generally pretty good here (as far as treatment of the animals go) so I have no ethical problems with buying meat. It's the gross wastage of life and particularly the disgusting treatment of the calves I can't support. Rear the calves for beef/veal and give them decent living conditions and I'll start buying your milk again.

... sorry for the derail, but too many people are blissfully ignorant when it comes to dairy.

Soy and rice milk are indeed abominations, but both almond and coconut milk are quite nice (depends a bit on the brand, so shop around). As I mentioned earlier, I prefer a 50/50 almond/coconut blend (pure coconut is too thick/strong and pure almond is a little bland, but only in comparison. Still good by itself, but a bit of coconut improves it IMO).

How they compare to regular milk depends on what you're using it for. For breakfast I have a bowl of muesli and an iced coffee. The muesli is better with the nut milk but the coffee is worse, so if you were choosing based solely on flavour I'd recommend the nut milk for muesli and dairy milk for coffee.

• Anthus, Russ, strike and 1 other like this

#25 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:52 PM

Chocolate almond milk is the only exception I make for these "alternative" milks. I can't stand regular rice, soy, almond, or coconut milk. All of it's just awful to me. It tastes off and wrong and I can't get over that. When I was younger, my mom used to tell me "You wouldn't know the difference if I didn't tell you it wasn't real milk." To this day I still call absolute bullshit, although she says that about a lot of other fake foods. And it's bullshit there too.

#26 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:12 PM

When I was younger, my mom used to tell me "You wouldn't know the difference if I didn't tell you it wasn't real milk."

Ha! Come on, mom...

Yes, they're absolutely different to dairy milk, and if you go into it expecting dairy milk you're going to be disappointed. But different =/= bad. You need to be a little more open-minded and see them as their own beverage as opposed to "alternative milk" (even though they're typically used as such). You wouldn't dismiss Coke outright because it tastes bad on your cereal. :P Like everything else they have their place, and since they taste so different to dairy milk if you substitute it everywhere you're clearly going to have mixed results. IMO "creamy" drinks (like milkshakes) just don't work with nut milks - go dairy all the way (unless ethics). But things like muesli (as mentioned above) and many types of cake are fantastic with nut milk. I made doughnuts with almond/coconut milk and they were awesome - just as soft and fluffy as a normal doughnut but with a slight coconut flavour, like a macaroon or something.

• ShadowTiger, Rambly and Jared like this

#27 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:13 PM

Different isn't the same as bad, no, but I'm not just judging by cereal topping. Even drinking them separately, can't stand the stuff.

#28 Jenny

Jenny

braixen

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:18 PM

never liked milk personally. makes me sick

• Shane, coolgamer012345 and Matthew like this

#29 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:19 PM

Each to their own. I know a few people that can't stand drinking plain dairy milk. :shrug: Weirdos.

EDIT: Haha, see above!

Edited by NoeL, 25 July 2017 - 11:19 PM.

• The Satellite, coolgamer012345 and Matthew like this

#30 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:22 PM

I have lactose intolerance so I don't like milk all that much.

• Matthew likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users