• Please log in to reply
4811 replies to this topic

#4771 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 02 May 2022 - 06:39 PM

Bump.

I've been playing Wario Land 1 recently. It gets pretty fun once you get up to Mt. Teapot, but I feel like there's little things about the engine that make it kinda annoying to play. I don't really like that Bull Wario sticks to ceilings if you hold up, falling platforms have this weird thing going on where if you hold a direction you'll just kind of jump through them and fall to your death, and I don't feel like every mechanic is as well-considered as it could be. Wario Land 1 walked so Wario Land 2 could run, I guess.

I still like it more than the first two Super Mario Land games, for some reason...

#4772 FieryBirdyThing

FieryBirdyThing

Junior

• Members

Posted 22 May 2022 - 02:20 PM

My current mixture of games is as follows...

Zelda 2 - Started this for the umpteenth time, this time on the Zelda G&W system. If you've seen my list on the 'Which Zelda games you've played' thread, then I can officially update it with having gotten the furthest I've been in this game across all the versions I have. Currently, I've beaten the fifth dungeon, and need to do some exploring before I reach the sixth.

Donkey Kong Country 2 - I've been replaying the DKC games these last few months. First, I replayed DKC3 (to 103% completion again), and now I'm replaying DKC2. I've beaten K. Rool, and am now trying to get all the Kremling coins and DK coins.

Skylanders series - I've actually been trying to clear out some of my collection from this series, but I'm still keeping some of the games and figures, which I've been dipping in and out of, recently. I'd forgotten how good some of those games are; not the 'greatest games ever' or anything, but surprisingly good for what are essentially toy ads diguised as video games. :P

#4773 Valerie

Valerie

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 18 July 2022 - 08:11 PM

I got an NES Classic at a rummage sale over a week ago and have been playing games on that. I finished Zelda 2 for the first time yesterday.

#4774 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 19 July 2022 - 10:24 AM

Been playing more of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 in preparation of the upcoming Xenoblade 3, though I'm doubtful I can 100% complete everything before then. This game just feels so huge. Every now and then I discover new areas or new angles to previously discovered locations and every rare blade obtained is essentially a questline in and of itself.

I do like both Xenoblade 1 and 2 (and every Xeno game in general), but I was never as inclined to play through the first one for postgame content. I think it's safe to say that 2 is my favorite gameplay wise even though the main story is arguably weaker in some aspects.

Considering 3 looks like a mix of aspects from 1 and 2, let's hope that this one will be the best one yet.

Also, on a side note, I still haven't played Xenoblade Chronicles X. It's the only Xeno game I haven't played at the moment because I dont have a Wii U, though if I find one for cheap at a thrift store I would get it even if Xenoblade X is the only game I would play on the dang thing. Though ideally it would be better if a Switch port was made (though I heard there may be technical limitations that might make that difficult).

#4775 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 19 July 2022 - 11:32 PM

You in all likelihood won't need to play X for 3, unless some magical connection forms. X is very much its own thing.

#4776 FieryBirdyThing

FieryBirdyThing

Junior

• Members

Posted 07 September 2022 - 10:31 AM

Over the last month, I've been playing a fair bit of Freedom Planet. Mainly playing through Milla's levels in Classic mode (already beaten Lilac's levels, and have still yet to play the last level for Carol). It's actually quite interesting how each characters' radically different abilities end up making some areas/bosses easier or harder.

Since my last update regarding my replaying the DKC games, I've beaten DKC2 to 102% (again), and I've also beaten DKC to 101% since then. Might be a bit Kong-ed out, now. XD

For some reason, a few weeks ago, I decided to give the Second Quest in the original LoZ a try. Currently, I have four Triforce pieces, but it's been rather slow going. I will readily admit that I've been using a guide just to find some of the different dungeon entrances, and to see which items are found in which dungeons. Not sure if/when I'll make it to the end, but I'm still quite glad I've given it a longer look than I previously did.

Last weekend, I went back to Rare Replay and, in particular, decided to have a look at Viva Pinata. I occasionally dip into sim-style games (I used to play Theme Park a lot, back in the day), and this one seemed interesting and barmy enough to check out. I haven't played much of it, so far, but I hope to play some more when I get the chance, and see more of these daft little critters. :P

#4777 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 26 September 2022 - 12:38 PM

I've been playing Bug Fables. Started out thinking it was all right, just not quite sold on the game, but four chapters and about 12 hours in and I'm loving it. It's not too deep, story-wise, but also not so shallow that it's unengaging (and, having just finished Pokémon Sword, I'm glad the plot is coherent). And the gameplay is great fun. With hard mode enabled, it's pretty difficult, but never unfun.

Might drop a full review when I finish it, idk.

#4778 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 27 September 2022 - 02:51 PM

just win few battle in co-op in FF Dissidia for android and then i get a burst weapon for pure case, not much new games on console,lately

#4779 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 03 October 2022 - 11:35 PM

Earlier this year, I made a list of games I own on PC but haven't played yet, a curated list of ones I told myself I was going to play this year. I then proceeded to play two games off that list and drifted away from it. Oops. So that's definitely not happening now, but I certainly have played a number of new games this year. "New" as in "I've never played them before." Year's not over yet, but it's still been quite full.

It started with Halo 2: Anniversary, which is a bit of an asterisk seeing as I've played the original multiple times. After beating Halo Infinite late last year, I began a little journey of replaying all the Halo games in chronological release order (though intending to end with Reach), via the Master Chief Collection. It was also the first time I played through the original's Anniversary version, though I wasn't too impressed with the aesthetical changes in that one. With 2, I was far more satisfied, though I often did swap back and forth between graphics and found there were a few areas that had better atmosphere in the original. Also, they replaced "Blow Me Away" in the new graphics, but it's still there if you swap to old graphics? I kept it on old graphics entirely for that segment. Anyway, this journey stalled out because I wanted to play Halo 3 co-op with a friend and it took us a while to get to it, although technically beating that co-op was a first for me as well. Good times.

NiGHTS into Dreams... a game I've also owned forever, but wasn't actually on the list. I just know of its cult following and its references in the Sonic games. And I'm gonna be honest... I hated it. It was disorienting and confusing. I did not bother getting the true ending. I beat each available level normally and stopped playing. More power to its fans but I could not stomach it.

Then there was Celeste, a game I've long thought didn't look like my kind of thing. Looked like your typical Newgrounds Flash game in gameplay. Just gameplay, I should stress, I always thought it at least looked way nicer than any of those. Thankfully I was pleasantly surprised, it was not only a fun game mechanically but also had a charming and endearing story, quickly cementing Madeline as one of my favorite protagonists ever. I haven't done either of the postgame chapters yet, but I intend to return to it eventually. The final main game chapter's song is a contender for my current song of the year, against another later game...

Octodad: Dadliest Catch was a silly game I had intended to play for a while. The controls are ridiculously awkward, which is the point, and thankfully I felt the game ended at the right point before the joke wore thin. I for one thought it was charming and enjoyable, but probably would've lost my mind if it went on much longer. This was... also the second and last game from the above-linked list.

Back when I first got my Switch, when I didn't have very many games for it (a situation thankfully long-since remedied), I bought a $5 eShop game called Kamiko. It was a decent little arcadey game, but there wasn't much to it. I'm struggling to say much honestly, it left that little of an impression on me. I remember there being a mechanic or two that I didn't like, but also the game was so short it wasn't a major complaint.

I started Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker on the Switch not long after it released before falling off it. I picked it back up this year and started from scratch, even streamed the whole playthrough. Very fun game! Some of the bonus missions were a nightmare and on that note I did not do every single one, but otherwise I really enjoyed this game. Kinda wish it didn't remove the 3D World-inspired levels when it added the Odyssey-inspired levels, but alas.

The first game actually released this year that I played? Kirby and the Forgotten Land. And... I'm not going to lie, this is possibly my new favorite Kirby game. I haven't played Return to Dream Land or the 3DS games yet, which I hear are also fantastic, but, wow. For their first foray into 3D, Kirby knocked it out of the park. There are some minor issues I have, mostly with the game not revealing all the objectives in each level immediately, and a part of me misses a few of the powers, but with what's here? It was so good. It was so delightful. It was so cute! Until the end, but that's nothing new for Kirby. Super Star was always my favorite but I think this may have barely edged it out.

After this I fell into a rabbit hole and streamed a ton of Kirby games, ones I've played and ones I haven't, or at least haven't beaten. Which is an embarrassing amount, but, better late than never? Thus, I have now completed Kirby's Adventure, Dream Land 2, Dream Land 3, Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards, and Nightmare in Dream Land. Of these, I'd played 64 extensively as a child, but never actually beat it until now. I enjoyed them, but the lag and slowdown in Adventure was infuriating, thankfully remedied in its remake. Dream Land 2 was fine, unless you were trying to be a completionist, in which case it got frustrating. Dream Land 3, I understand why people like this more than Super Star, as it was quite a charming game. 64 is pretty great overall, though sometimes frustrating when going for 100%. But, still a great time. I love this series. I was planning to play Return to Dream Land but took a break to stream Metroid games in May ("Maytroid," heh); thankfully, a remaster's on the way! I'll just wait for that one.

Then, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge. Actually, I managed to play through the campaign cooperatively with... at least four others? It supports up to six players at once but now I'm blanking on if we had all six, or just five. Either way, great time, very fun beat-em-up. Makes me want to invest in the Cowabunga Collection to play all those TMNT games I missed. I only played the original on NES, sadly. I mean, I remember liking that one, but I'm led to believe there are much better ones.

When I was visiting my friend in Rhode Island, they introduced me to a little game called Kuukiyomi 3: Consider It. It's a goofy little lesson in being considerate, from a Japanese perspective. It's kind of hard to describe, but there's three of these and they're inexpensive, so worth checking out. I plan on playing the other two soon, just need to find a good day to stream them. Lots of laughs were had.

Then... the big daddy... Xenoblade 3. The announcement had me intrigued, and from then on I intentionally avoided all media centering around it until release. And, oh boy, did it have my attention. Maybe too much of it. I invested 160 hours into that game until I was mostly sure I had taken care of everything. Some mechanics I didn't fully develop yet, deciding I'd wait for the DLC to trickle out to get to those. I was also mostly certain I had completed all sidequests, but at the time it felt too early for any online guides to have a complete list, so I plan on consulting one at a later time. But, god, was it fulfilling. The combat has been perfected, the music as always is incredible, the story is great... There's some parts of me wondering if the plot's as good as either 1 or 2, but I've as of late been leaning towards "It's a different kind of plot than those, and it succeeds at it." It's just... what a great game. So looking forward to the story expansion DLC.

Following that, I've been meaning to play this next one for a while. I've owned it since 2020, just waiting for the right time to play it. After hearing many people talk of the parallels between it and Xenoblade 3... I knew it was the time. Xenogears is the first JRPG for the PS1 I've beaten, and the second multi-disc game I've played after The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age on GameCube. Xenogears, the first game led by Tetsuya Takahashi, and would go on to influence his later works... like Xenoblade. I can definitely see those parallels to... frankly all the Xenoblade games, even X. This game is definitely dated in ways and have some actually infuriating segments, but on the whole I really enjoyed it. Its memorable characters, its convoluted plot, its fantastic music... It wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea now, but I appreciate it a lot. Compressed second disc and all. Now to read through the Perfect Works...

And that covers my 2022 thus far. Now I'm working on a few Castlevania games for my yearly Castlemania stream event, but I'll get to those later and elsewhere...

• nicklegends likes this

#4780 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 06 October 2022 - 03:33 PM

I've played The Painscreek Killings recently and really loved it. It is a purposely slow paced, very atmospheric "walking simulator" detective game with no hand holding. You are investigating a murder that took place a few years ago in a small town that has since then become a ghost town. You will be wandering around the derelict town, breaking into people's houses or cars, reading their journals, rummaging through their possessions, etc. to figure out what happened.

The reviews mentioning there was no hand holding is what sold me on trying the game; your character is silent and it's up to you to decide whether something you've just seen is important or not, you don't have a character going "aha! this is interesting!" or "this is useless junk" when you find something. You are also encouraged to take notes, even though you can also use a handy camera feature to take pictures of anything you deem to be relevant for further review.

You are allowed to leave the town at any time and give your conclusions about the murder to end the game (giving you a grade and a different ending based on how well you answered), although a sequence leading to the best ending will be automatically triggered if you find enough clues (I recommend going for that, it's really worth it).

It is a fairly short game (it took me 12ish hours to 100% it) but I enjoyed every minute of it.

I don't see this game being mentioned very often anywhere, so I thought I'd give it a recommendation. I remember another reviewer saying something like "it's a game I didn't know I needed" and I agree. 

#4781 klop422

klop422

• Members

Posted 25 October 2022 - 04:59 PM

So, I beat Bug Fables. Honestly, it's incredible - the story's not too deep, but deep enough that you get really engaged. The music is also really good, though the musician in me has some nitpicks :P

Honestly, I'd definitely recommend it. Very Paper Mario-ey (purposely so), so if you enjoyed the first couple Paper Marios, then you'll enjoy Bug Fables.

Other than that, been playing some more chill stuff - a bit of Kirby Superstar, a bit of Dr. Mario, a bit of Monkey Island. Just a litte burnt out of RPGs right now (since I played through Pokémon Sword before Bug Fables, and Dragon Quest XI before that). I've got NieR: Automata lined up (got it on Switch), but I need to play some calmer stuff before I get to it.

• Orithan likes this

#4782 klop422

klop422

• Members

Posted 14 January 2023 - 07:12 PM

Right, so I need to get this off my chest.

I beat Nier: Automata. Played it on-and-off, pretty much since my last post until the first week of this year. Did the last third mostly on holiday at my late gran's house, where I had no internet. Was really looking forward to it, too - literally everyone I've ever heard speak about this game is extremely positive; I didn't look up specific reviews (saving spoilers), but skimmed Wikipedia's 'reception' section - the only negative things mentioned were a couple people saying "the main androids aren't relatable", and immediately realised that was a bit nonsensical (though they're a bit edgy for my taste). Literally everything I've heard about this game is that it's one of the best JRPGs of all time.

Right.

The gameplay is mostly fun. I like the main combat system, I like the chip system (it's a bit like FF7's materia, which is cool), and I like the shooter sections where you're in the flight suit. There's a 'hacking' thing you can do with 9S (one of the main characters), where you do a sort of boring bullet hell section to do extra damage, that's extremely easy to exploit (in combination with 'timed heal' and 'heal when you kill things' chips) to make most battles done using 9S completely trivial, but you can get over that. Just makes 9S's story kind of boring to play during combat. Also, the lock-on can be annoying at times. Overall, though, I'd say the gameplay is really fun, and would be a great vehicle for an amazing story.

The music, too, was pretty nice. I did think it got fairly repetitive eventually - it's mostly basic chords orchestrated with lush strings and piano, with a bit of rock and occasional singing over it - and I ended up tuning out at some point, but it's nice.

So, is the story amazing, like everyone says?

(heavy story spoilers)

Spoiler

So, yeah. Probably a B for me - great gameplay (minus a couple nitpicks) and good music, marred by a plot that doesn't make sense either or an artistic level or on its own terms, at least without having played the game it's a sequel to (something it was never made clear that was a requirement - and a bit of research seems to show people actively discouraging it). It kept me engaged throughout, at least.

But now I am playing NieR: Replicant (the recent remaster). Some individual things have been spoiled for me by playing Automata first, but overall I'm enjoying it much more. Maybe I'll have a full review after I finish it, but I just like how it doesn't take itself nearly as seriously - which makes the rough edges feel less jarring. I've just beaten the first half, and the twist at the end of it honestly was a little disappointing, but the fact that the villain explains it all in one of the hammiest, corniest villain voices I've ever heard makes it all feel a bit campy, which makes the slightly silly parts of the plot feel more deliberate. It's less artsy, but it works better for its tone. Looking forward to the rest of the game.

#4783 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators

Posted 28 January 2023 - 06:31 AM

I liked the plot and core gameplay loop of NieR: Automata but overall it left me wanting... more. The chip system was great, and it allows for flexibility in terms of what you want to do with your build in the playthrough. However despite the overworld being really pretty in parts (even on PS4) it did feel really empty and lacking in certain aspects, among other things like the

spoilers ahead lol

Spoiler

like you've already mentioned, needing to have some sort of knowledge of the NieR universe was a bit rough - although at the time I played it, the Replicant remake was probably nowhere near being finished. missed a whole chunk of sidequests too, but I'm not gonna go back and redo them. As interesting and unique a game it was, it didn't have any replay value to me. Would say I'd give it a similar grading to you in that respect.

#4784 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 29 January 2023 - 06:01 PM

Been playing Fire Emblem on my NGage

#4785 FieryBirdyThing

FieryBirdyThing

Junior

• Members

Posted 30 January 2023 - 11:51 AM

Been a while since my last post, here, so I'll just stick with what I've been playing the most these last few weeks...

Kaze and the Wild Masks - I'd been interested in this game for a while and eventually got it as a Christmas present. It seems pretty neat from what I've played so far. The gameplay is strongly reminiscent of the DKC games, so I'd recommend it to anyone who likes those. Bit of an odd nitpick, but I'm not really sure the 'masks' thing warranted mentioning in the game's title, though.

TMNT: The Cowabunga Collection - Another Christmas present. Previously, I had only played the original TMNT arcade game once a few years ago, so being able to play that and a whole bunch of other old TMNT games is great. I'm amazed at all the extras thrown in, as well.

3D Outrun - One of several games I've downloaded as the 'last hurrah' of the Wii U and 3DS eShops. Like TMNT, I'd only played the original arcade Outrun once years ago, so it's nice to have a version I can play more often. I've managed to unlock the Arcade mode, surprisingly (without using the unlockable upgrades, might I add?), and I like to dip into it every now and then.

Donkey Kong '94 - Another 'last hurrah' game. I had been on the fence with this one for a long time, since it includes a few features I don't tend to like. However, since I generally like the original DK series (especially DK Jr.) I eventually took the plunge and gave it a shot. I must admit that I'm enjoying this a lot more than I thought I would. I'm currently in the Desert world, if anyone is interested in my current progress.

Edited by FieryBirdyThing, 08 February 2023 - 06:11 AM.

• nicklegends likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users