Photo

Screenshot of the Week 76

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
36 replies to this topic

Poll: Who gets your vote? (56 member(s) have cast votes)

Who gets your vote?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 PrinceMSC

PrinceMSC

Remember the Name

• Members

Posted 09 January 2005 - 03:51 PM

Dart Zaidyer
user posted image
Three doors, but only one is shut. How will you open it? Be ready, as
this is but the first of many puzzles here.

IaN
user posted image
I guess nobody's home...

Radien
user posted image
Time for a root canal, Molgera!

FireStorm
user posted image
Hmm, a boss, perhaps?

codelinker
user posted image
Crap I need a key. What are those bombs for?

Next week is Screenshot of the Month 19. So take a break. icon_smile.gif

icon_king.gif PrinceMSC icon_king.gif

#2 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 09 January 2005 - 04:01 PM

Dark Zaidyer: Nice tiles, but it's a pretty boring screen. There's nothing in the room at all.

IaN: What can I say? Nice shot.

Radien: That boss is awesome! This gets my vote.

FireStorm: It's mostly blackness...but it's a nice intro shot.

Codelinker: Nice shot. This would be my 2nd choice.

#3 plith

plith

I've been thinking.

• Members

Posted 09 January 2005 - 04:33 PM

1. I like the blend of ALttP and TMC tiles in that dungeon. It seems to work for me. >Vote<

2. You've shown so many similar shots that people are getting less likely to vote each time. That and I don't like the white roof.

3. Too brown for my tastes. Brown's the color of poo.

4. Perhaps it is a boss, but I'll have to see it in action. As a screenshot, it's less than 1/3 of the screen, which isn't all that great in a screenshot contest.

5. I don't care for the BS-style water, the little girl sprite in the bottom right, the house tiles, the overabundance and cluttered feel of grass tiles, or the colors of the frames at the top. There also seems to be something missing with the mountain borders, and the colors aren't all that imaginative.

#4 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 09 January 2005 - 05:40 PM

I went for Dart Zaidyer. Dunno why, there's just something pleasing about the shot over all above the others.

#5 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 09 January 2005 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE(Ben @ Jan 9 2005, 03:40 PM)
I went for Dart Zaidyer.  Dunno why, there's just something pleasing about the shot over all above the others.

could it be my kickass menus?

ok, I'l stop bragging about my tileset now

I voted for codelinker. the others just seem bland, but code's is very vibrant and pleasing to the eye. Radien would have gotten my second vote, though

#6 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 09 January 2005 - 06:03 PM

Dart Zaidyer: Very nice tiles. More detail is needed though. Statues, enemies, just something.

IaN: I have to agree with plith. You are entering shots nearly identical, so these get less and less interesting each time.

Radien: I agree with plith on this too, way too much brown. I mean, the whole screen is brown, there are very few colors, and that is just turns a pic bad.

FireStorm: Nice, but for a SOTW pic, it needs much more in it. Half black isn't something that will win SOTW. icon_wink.gif But, the shot is intriquing. It makes me curious about what will happen. icon_wink.gif

codelinker: Nice, solid pureset shot. Nice setup, and it overall looks pretty good. The only bad part is that I find the water kind of.... empty. There's simply not much to it. icon_shrug.gif

My vote goes with Dart Zaidyer this round.

#7 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 09 January 2005 - 06:09 PM

RADIENS SHOT!

Molgera was the best damn boss in WW, and the custom work looks great. BTW Radien, Moglera only had two opening parts.. not four. icon_razz.gif

The rest of the shots look good to me, but I can't pass up good custom work. icon_thumbsup.gif

#8 SwordOfSeals

SwordOfSeals

Peace now, food later

• Members

Posted 09 January 2005 - 06:48 PM

I couldn't pick, so I randomly did so, icon_razz.gif . Oh well.

Dart Zaidyr: Nice! It refreshing to see new dungeon tiles.

IaN: Great pic. Again, it's refreshing to see new tile work. This one looks realistic, too.

Raiden: You floored me with the boss. I wonder how one's suppose to fight it?

FireStorm: Well, it a screen shot. The off-center screen is interesting.

Codelinker: It's good, but I'm too used to Pure tiles. And I think I've seen that Link.

I voted for Raiden, be cause he was lucky to get my randomization.

#9 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 09 January 2005 - 07:01 PM

QUOTE(PolygonX8 @ Jan 9 2005, 03:09 PM)
Molgera was the best damn boss in WW, and the custom work looks great. BTW Radien, Moglera only had two opening parts.. not four. icon_razz.gif

Well, it's my Molgera. icon_wink.gif I'm making him in a way I prefer. Besides, even standard Zelda bosses nevertheless change appearance dramatically between games.

People say too much brown, but, well, the point is that it's absolutely inundated with sand. icon_shrug.gif I tried grey walls, which is this dungeon's CSet 2, but somehow it didn't look right. Oh well... there's still time to experiment. The original tiles took hours. Changing the palette and combo CSets will take 15 minutes. icon_razz.gif

There are actually a whole bunch of other less-flashy custom tiles on this screen, but nobody's going to notice them...

Dart Zaiyder:

Nice screen, but it looks like a loose tiles demo. Like, whoever uses the tiles first, gets the next SOTW. The floors certainly look better than what it came with, but most people use LTTP floors of some sort anyhow. I know you're good with design as well; I wish you'd done more with these tiles.

Ian:

Another day, another Minish Cap house shot. :\

Firestorm:

If that's a boss, you'll need to use more than a couple of moblins to make it look interesting...

Codelinker:

Very good Pure screen. Looks as good as LBDX.

Edited by Radien, 09 January 2005 - 07:11 PM.

#10 Breadguy

Breadguy

Warrior

• Members

Posted 09 January 2005 - 07:11 PM

Yeah, I think I could have done better on that shot. I think I should have added more stuff in the water.. Up above there. It's kinda blank. Also, I can understand the grass problem. Although, I tried not to use too much. Cause I went with some dirt patches, so I wouldn't have to use so much grass or flowers. I think it is so ugly, when you just have ramdom green tiles through out the OW. I'd rather it be filled in with grass tiles, or flowers. Thanks for the comments so far..

#11 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 09 January 2005 - 07:32 PM

You know, in Radien's shot, I was actually intrigued (right word? icon_freak.gif ) to vote for that because of the brownness. That, and that custom boss is just awesome.

Edited by Hergiswi, 09 January 2005 - 07:32 PM.

#12 plith

plith

I've been thinking.

• Members

Posted 09 January 2005 - 07:38 PM

As for Radien's being too brown, that doesn't necessarily make it a bad boss by any means. But as a still-frame screenshot entered into a screenshot contest such as this, it just doesn't work. I like color best in SotW. Even though it is probably inappropriate in such a spot in-game. So I prefer shots that are picked from more colorful regions to begin with.

#13 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 09 January 2005 - 07:45 PM

Man..there all good! icon_razz.gif I vote Radien cuz of the cool boss.

#14 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 10 January 2005 - 04:38 AM

plith:

Hmm. I suppose so. I figured it was similar to that plant custom boss Codelinker entered awhile ago, which won despite having nothing else in the room. It did have more green, obviously.

A brighter, more yellow version of the sand may be in order. However, if I do that, I may have to change all the sand in my quest to match... and I'm not sure I'll have enough space in the CSets.

Codelinker is winning...? Wow, that's a surprise. Not saying it isn't a good shot, it's just a surprise. Score one for screen design, I guess, because 100% of the quality of his shot has to do with layout. icon_smile.gif I'm glad people still pay attention to it. (Even though it means I'm not winning with custom tiles. icon_wink.gif Oh well. Perhaps the old ego doesn't need 3 wins in a row, eh?)

P.S. - As usual, I null-voted. I'm not sure how I would have voted if I hadn't. Sometimes I try not to think about it, because entering sometimes causes me undue bias, regardless.

#15 Zenith

Zenith

Old Guard

• Members

Posted 10 January 2005 - 10:06 AM

Dart Zaidyer: Not bad, but there's nothing on the floor excapt for that symbol.

IaN: How many shots like that have we seen already from you? 4?

Radien: Molgera, and this time he's actually in a desert dungeon. Nice. This gets my vote.

Firestorm: Interesting cutscene, but there isn't enough going on.

codelinker: Cool layout. This would be my second vote.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users