Photo

Gerudo theory: not really mostly female after all?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 03 March 2018 - 10:34 AM

Except the standard M-F reproduction is supported by in-game evidence, and the others aren't.

How so? That they date men mustn't mean they reproduce with them.

#17 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 05 March 2018 - 04:13 PM

you think that is parthenogenesis? â€‹

#18 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 05 March 2018 - 05:52 PM

I think you misunderstand social development. Reproduction must exist before pre-reproduction rituals.

#19 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:36 PM

I think you misunderstand social development. Reproduction must exist before pre-reproduction rituals.

If you think that dating is 'meant' to culminate in reproduction you are evidently, empirically and statistically wrong as far as the human species is concerned. Factually the *vast* majority of all intimate encounters between humans (including sexual intercourse) does not result in reproduction and is not initiated with the goal of reproducing. It is nonsensical and reductive to have the intimate-sexual encounters that are planned to and do result in pregnancy weigh in more than all those incredibly much more frequent encoutners where this is not the case. Reproduction is the exception in human intimacy; it's almost an artifact at this point in the development of the species (and most likely has been since monkey-hood was more or less outgrown evolutionary).

Edited by Sheik, 05 March 2018 - 07:43 PM.

#20 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:10 PM

yes please let's turn this into a sex debate i'm sure that's what everyone is here for

Honestly, does it really matter? The games tell us the Gerudo are all female, and we're left to fill in the blanks. Also, it's kinda racist to suggest that the desert people are a different race, no, species, than the Hylians.

• Anthus likes this

#21 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:42 PM

Sheik, I think that Cukeman was talking more long-term. As in, before society and social norms. You don't see a monkey go through a few nervous dinner dates, maybe see a movie, etc. No, they go into heat, do the deed, and now there are more monkeys.

Going long-term as in caveman-to-today, surely things started in the very absolute beginning the same way as monkeys. Dating and intimacy came after we had already figured out how to get more offspring.

So, what Cukeman's getting at is that in order to eventually get to the point where Gerudo women would decide to date men, hundreds or thousands of years prior, their ancestors would have probably not had that step and just done it. Over the centuries, social interactions would evolve to actually involve dating.

• Cukeman likes this

#22 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 05 March 2018 - 09:19 PM

Come on guys, everyone knows the Gerudo lay eggs, duh.

minor BotW spoilers below, but it's been out a year so..

If I were to go into theory land, I'd wager that they do simply just go into town, and pick out random dudes as alluded to in OoT. Could be for mating, or fun I guess. I don't know if it is implied that they really did kidnap the carpenters for mating purposes in English, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was something in the Japanese version that got edited. The game says they ran away to try to join the all woman group, and were rejected, and captured. If anything, this has greater implications for the carpenters. Especially if, uh, BotW's representation is anything to go by. :P

I suspect there is some magic at hand too that only allows a male to be born every 100 years, so if they do reproduce with Hylian males, they will have more female Gerudo children. This is actually shown in BotW, as there are Gerudo kids running around the town, so they do have kids. The world of genetics doesn't apply here cause magic. "Magic" isn't poor writing either, we all know they live near the Spirit Temple, which is obviously a place where some magic shit happens. Maybe it is where they birth the male in some ritual? It would kinda make sense.

And, we also know, according to OoX that Koume, and Kotake were BOTH Ganondorf's surrogate mother, so this further confirms my egg laying theory. They use magic to combine their Gerudo eggs to make a being in their image that will embody evil.

What I think it more interesting is how in OoT, and MM the Gerudo are the only other human enemies you fight (I guess the Gorman brothers could count, but you don't really fight them in a traditional sense). You also can't actually kill Gerudo, only stun/ force retreat, which I always thought was odd cause they walk the line between enemy, and NPC. It's almost as if Nintendo didn't want to really show human death. I think this may be why they were left out of TP. Cause it was, haha.. too realistic.

(According to the Wiki, in the German version the carpenters were named after the Beatles? That would have been awesome!)

#23 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:56 AM

yes please let's turn this into a sex debate i'm sure that's what everyone is here for

[...] Also, it's kinda racist to suggest that the desert people are a different race, no, species, than the Hylians.

Well, we are already involved in a debate about sex, gender and sexuality right from the OP. Did you not notice?

Also, I am not suggesting anything, I am saying we don't know. Which we don't. If I take OoT as a template I learn that all fractions are a different species and with the example of the Kokiri we have a good example of a species that looks human (Hylian even) but isn't. Also, we know for a fact that Gerudos (normal ears - in OoT, where they were introduced) and Hylians (pointy ears) are not the same species. Leaves to be determined where Sheikah fit in here.

Sheik, I think that Cukeman was talking more long-term. As in, before society and social norms. [...] Dating and intimacy came after we had already figured out how to get more offspring.

Humans have lived in societies pretty much since ever. It could be resonably argued that monkeys live in societies, too. Also, intimacy isn't exclusively human either. You can observe that in all mammals, maybe even reptiles.

Edited by Sheik, 06 March 2018 - 08:58 AM.

#24 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 06 March 2018 - 06:33 PM

I really think it is magic, considering this is a world where this, and this, and uh, this can happen. :P

Furthermore, it is clear that the Gerudo stole the Zora eggs, cause they were confused, and mistook them for their own eggs.

#25 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 07 March 2018 - 11:16 AM

Humans have lived in societies pretty much since ever. It could be resonably argued that monkeys live in societies, too. Also, intimacy isn't exclusively human either. You can observe that in all mammals, maybe even reptiles.

I'd argue that all mammals (except maybe platypuses) also reproduce the same way (that is, sexually), which would eventually have led to intimacy. Really, to get an example to show that intimacy doesn't come about because of sexual reproduction, you'd have to find a creature which doesn't reproduce sexually (and never did in its evolutionary history), and show that it also has intimacy.

I should also point out that, if I remember correctly, dolphins are the only animal other than humans who actively have sex for pleasure.

Anthus, I'd just assumed that by 'surrogate mother', Kotake and Koume just meant that they had brought him up (i.e. substitute or foster mothers).

Also, even if they lay eggs, then the eggs need to be fertilised somehow. And, honestly, (and it's really hard to find a way of saying this without sounding like a pervert) I prefer the idea of Gerudos reproducing the way humans do, rather than having an egg somewhere for some guy to come along and... fertilise it.

That being said, I don't see any specific evidence against Gerudos laying eggs...

• Anthus and Dark Ice Dragon like this

#26 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 07 March 2018 - 04:38 PM

I really think it is magic, considering this is a world where this, and this, and uh, this can happen. :P

Furthermore, it is clear that the Gerudo stole the Zora eggs, cause they were confused, and mistook them for their own eggs.

i don't think Gerudos lay eggs, they wanted the zora eggs for discover the melody that lead to the dungeon, like Link did.

Gerudo and Hylians may have a common ancestor, but i don't think one of the two species can become oviparous ( if not whit millions of years of evolution ) and still find attraction for the mammals

But of course..since is a game magic, miracles and nonsense are possible.

• Anthus likes this

#27 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:47 PM

my theory is that the gerudo seduce or kidnap cute guys from hyrule market/kakariko so they can Have Relations with them but then they have lots of hot nasty freaky lesbian sex with each other when there's no guys to bone

• DashSim, Magi_Hero and Anthus like this

#28 DashSim

DashSim

ancient being

• Members

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:47 PM

they all gay as fuck

• Rambly likes this

#29 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:48 PM

my theory is that the gerudo seduce or kidnap cute guys from hyrule market/kakariko so they can Have Relations with them

i'm not kidding btw i'm pretty sure the sheikah stones hint at that
  • DashSim and Magi_Hero like this

#30 DashSim

DashSim

ancient being

• Members

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:59 PM

they still gay tho

• Rambly likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users