Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted seas

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:40 AM

Anyone heard of this game yet? This is a Zelda styled adventure game that is pretty much like Wind Waker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJxpQ8KGRa8

I think this game is really impressive. The story is simple but well presented and adds a lot to the atmosphere. The gameplay is solid and everything works nicely. The perspective reminds me a bit of A Link Between Worlds, in the sense that you can't change the camera because you never have to. What do you think? I myself got it from a friend today.

Edited by Avataro, 11 April 2015 - 08:46 AM.

• Shane likes this

#2 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:45 AM

This looks pretty interesting. I enjoyed the hell out of Wind Waker so I could have quite a lot of fun with this game. One small thing I noticed though in the trailer... at 2:07 the talking animation of the girl looks incredibly odd lol

• Shane and Avaro like this

#3 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:54 AM

Looks amazing!

• Avaro likes this

#4 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:00 AM

I've had it on my phone for over a year now. It's an amazing game. :)

• Avaro likes this

#5 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 10 April 2015 - 11:40 AM

I have no idea why I didn't find out about this game earlier, but even though it's a straight rip-off of Zelda it's worth playing.

#6 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 10 April 2015 - 02:14 PM

I have no idea why I didn't make a topic about this sooner myself, I had planned on it and... forgot, I guess. Oops. But yeah, I got the Steam version and I quite enjoyed it. Here, I'll just quote my Steam review:

It's true: Despite its own graphical style, isometic viewpoint, and some other quirks, Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas is essentially a Legend of Zelda style game inside. But why is this a bad thing? As a diehard Zelda fan, I welcome the gaming industry to create their own attempts at Zelda-like games, whether from AAA developers or indies. And Oceanhorn does a fine job of being a fun game, even though almost all of its major elements are pretty much lifted from the Zelda series. But let's be fair here, bows, bombs, swords, shields, and sailing are far from monopolized by Zelda.

Getting into Oceanhorn itself, there's a lot to like about this game. The art style has its own charm, the isometric viewpoint is neat and a nice callback to games like Mario RPG and Landstalker, and the music... sublime. It all comes together in a wonderful presentation package that should delight anyone who can see past the game's obvious inspiration. The controls, for the most part, are pretty fluid, especially considering this is a port of an iOS game, and it felt just right on a controller, although the main character does move just the smallest bit slower than I'd like him to. The sailing atmosphere is gorgeous, and it's fun visiting new islands and charting them out, learning what secrets and people dwell there. The puzzles, while not entirely brainteasers, were the right amount of clever and made the game feel fluid. Dungeons are clever and designed expertly, with creative boss fights I quite enjoyed. In some ways it's a bit on the easy end, but no easier than your typical Zelda game.

The cons with this game are minor. There's the often-cited lack of a map screen, which would have been very handy. I find it odd that you can't dash or roll up steps, which would be nice for speeding up action. And the sailing is even more restrictive than that of Phantom Hourglass; in that game you could at least plot a course, but here, you can only select a destination. I would have liked a little more control, especially in that gorgeous atmosphere, but it's a minor concern.

Also, the game is too short. :(

But that's both a pro and a con; a con, because the game did feel a bit on the shorter side, and a pro, because I only wanted more.

In short, Oceanhorn is worth it if you're a fan of adventure games, especially Zelda obviously, whose only shortcomings are minor. Hopefully the game becomes successful enough to warrant a sequel in the future. Great product, Cornfox & Brothers, and may you see continued success!

• Eddy and Matthew like this

#7 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators

Posted 10 April 2015 - 02:48 PM

I wanted it but it seemed too expensive at first for an app. I may just pick it up now

#8 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:33 PM

You complained about not being able to roll up steps? Tell you what, record yourself trying to roll up a staircase. Hell, even if you don't make it upwards, just do it and let's see how much it hurts when you crash into the corner part of the stair.

Seriously though, if the game's as good as you guys say, I'll have to see if I can get a copy for myself. I think I remember seeing this when it was still being worked on, and I was interested in it then, too. I can't believe that I forgot about it 'till now.

#9 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:37 PM

You complained about not being able to roll up steps? Tell you what, record yourself trying to roll up a staircase. Hell, even if you don't make it upwards, just do it and let's see how much it hurts when you crash into the corner part of the stair.

If Link can do it, anyone should be able to. :evil:

It was more meant to go with the somewhat slow walking problem, and I was a bit impatient and wanted to move a bit faster; usually you're able to roll or dash up slopes and steps in Zelda games so it's odd that a game so like Zelda doesn't allow you to. Plus, it's a video game, let's not bring realism into this. :P

#10 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:41 PM

I blame Robin and TS for getting me into this game. :lol:

#11 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:10 PM

It's a good game. I've had it for a while and have yet to find everything in it, but it is decidedly too short. But it was originally designed to be played in short sittings.

• The Satellite likes this

#12 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 26 May 2015 - 09:11 PM

It's on sale on Steam for $9 until June 1st, if anyone was interested but wasn't sure about spending $15 on it. Seriously, it's worth checking out! :)

#13 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:21 AM

I still have yet to get this game, I really need it >_>

But yeah, reading TS' review made me want to get the game even more. It sounds like the game is a whole load of fun.

#14 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:58 PM

It's on sale on Steam for 33% off, meaning about $10. If no one's bought it yet, you should pick it up. And if you have it but need to continue it, then continue it. :blah:

• Shane likes this

#15 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 11 June 2015 - 01:06 PM

Gonna get it soon, I hope. It looks like it could be a neat experience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users