Photo

Screenshot of the Week 339

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
122 replies to this topic

Poll: ! (74 member(s) have cast votes)

!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#31 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:24 PM

lol what's this.

The first screen suffers a lot because it's using tiles from different perspectives. You can always mash together different tilesets, but only if they share the same view on the sides of things.

I like Ventus's the best. It tells a story, or at least is the only screen with character.

As for the joke screens, none of them are particularly amusing or charming. If you're gonna troll, put some effort into it folks.

EDIT: Ahhh. A joke screen won last week. See, that's neat. The copy-cat ones here are just boring. The rage induced posts here are pretty delightful though.

Edited by Timothy McCorgi, 02 October 2011 - 08:29 PM.

#32 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE(Twilight_Knight @ Oct 3 2011, 03:21 AM) View Post
Think the only people doing wrong here are those telling others what to do.
Exactly my point. Everyone is saying that what we did was wrong, because they personally don't like or 'get' the humor behind it.

Look at it this way: just because someone doesn't like Will Ferrel, we can't just ban him from appearing in movies. It's just all a tad bit silly that we're trying to take this so seriously, I just don't get it. Color me... perplexed, or something I dunno.

#33 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:32 PM

Yeah, after all there are no rules about this I think people have no solid reason to complain about it, especially not telling people what to do as if there are such rules. It's just a fad, I'm really not going to be concerned about some joke shots and rather enjoy them for the time being.

#34 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ Oct 2 2011, 07:57 PM) View Post

Cool story bro. Theoretically, what would you give it if it didn't make your ears bleed? icon_razz.gif

Eyes, not ears. Somewhere between six and seven.

QUOTE(Rover @ Oct 2 2011, 07:56 PM) View Post

1. You're right, it's not an opinion, they're not insulting. Thanks for agreeing with me.
2. He's obviously trying to prove a point if he wants to go out and call people's work s***.
3. Posting screenshots is not immature, you're just showing of something that didn't take much effort. Not putting effort into things is defiently being immature, wait no it's not...

1. Re-read my post, you either read it wrong or are trolling.
2. Proving a point and justification are two different things.
3. I won't answer this, as TS has forbade it.

QUOTE(Robin @ Oct 2 2011, 08:14 PM) View Post
I'd be very happy if we could just stop doing that and instead just give out proper, serious criticism instead? Some people seem to be able to, so why shouldn't you (you, being anyone who has not been able to do so)?

Why would I give serious criticism to a joke? If someone is obviously not doing their best, then I can't properly evaluate their skills.

#35 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:40 PM

QUOTE(Ornlu @ Oct 2 2011, 07:36 PM) View Post

Damnit typos. Anyways, I find that interesting because I feel the trippy palette improves an otherwise bland screen. What do I know, though? I don't know trends. I figured because a similar screen won a previous SotW, maybe folks liked trippy. icon_shrug.gif

#36 Rover

Rover

slam dunk

• Members

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE(Ornlu @ Oct 2 2011, 09:36 PM) View Post

0.Eyes, not ears. Somewhere between six and seven.
4Why would I give serious criticism to a joke? If someone is obviously not doing their best, then I can't properly evaluate their skills.

0. I didn't have a problem with his screen, it actually looked decent to me.
1. I'm pretty sure you agree with me
2. They are two different things no doubt, but he's justifying his opinion or something I don't know I'm not good at English stop trying to find ways to make me look like an idiot
3. I will. The screenshots are just screenshots, it is just one week, and you need to calm down. If Ebola Zaire sees a problem, he will fix it, he said all the screens are fine, so it's fair game and they are legit screenshots.
4. They didn't want to their best. You can evaluate them, because they are still screens. A teacher never says, "OH THIS KID DIDN'T STUDY OR TRY I'LL JUST IGNORE HIS TEST".

I hate to make myself look like a dick, but you need to not take a contest that happens once a week and only a week seriously. I'm sure next SotW the joke shots will die down, and then it will just descend back to normal contests.

Edited by Rover, 02 October 2011 - 08:44 PM.

#37 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:44 PM

QUOTE(Robin @ Oct 2 2011, 07:25 PM) View Post

Look at it this way: just because someone doesn't like Will Ferrel, we can't just ban him from appearing in movies.

They could, however, kill him. That would stop him from appearing in movies. The solution is so clear to me now.

#38 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:44 PM

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ Oct 2 2011, 08:40 PM) View Post

Damnit typos. Anyways, I find that interesting because I feel the trippy palette improves an otherwise bland screen. What do I know, though? I don't know trends. I figured because a similar screen won a previous SotW, maybe folks liked trippy. icon_shrug.gif

I apologize, I literally thought it was another joke screen. I would suggest either changing the CSets back to the normal or creating a new and trippy, yet not eye-piercing palette and adding at least some ground detail.

#39 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:47 PM

QUOTE(Ornlu @ Oct 3 2011, 03:36 AM) View Post

Why would I give serious criticism to a joke? If someone is obviously not doing their best, then I can't properly evaluate their skills.
Okay, read that sentence over again.

Your quest is a joke.

See how that's not a nice thing to say? >_< And to answer your question: why not? It was submitted to Screenshot of the Week, if you're in this topic it is to give your opinions on the contending screenshots, not for continiously telling someone their work is s***. Regardless if it's meant to make you laugh or make your jaw drop with good design.

Edit: My point is that it doesn't matter what kind of screenshot it is. For example, there are comedies and dramas, and quite often they are both rated even by the same critics. Just because one is less 'serious' in tone than the other, doesn't make it any less worthy of receiving an honest rating. Or am I completely wrong here? icon_razz.gif

#40 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:48 PM

QUOTE(Ornlu @ Oct 2 2011, 07:44 PM) View Post

I apologize, I literally thought it was another joke screen. I would suggest either changing the CSets back to the normal or creating a new and trippy, yet not eye-piercing palette and adding at least some ground detail.

Oh boy it's let's confuse Ornlu day. Yes, my shot WAS a joke screen, but I made an honest effort to make it not suck. I figured people would have a good laugh and maybe a couple people would vote for it. But they didn't because they lumped it in with some of the other joke screens that took little to no effort.

#41 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:50 PM

IPB Image

#42 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:55 PM

I don't even want to comment this week. I'm fine with oddball shots, I just wish they had been made under
your own initiative. This is just a tidal wave response to something Rover did.

I voted for Ventus, because Ventus achieved a very epic look and feel in a classic quest, and I even think
the rain looks nice. The clouds could be improved though.

Twilight_Knight: A very nice shot, except that there shouldn't be water under the castle foundation.
It would work if the water was lapping the wall (had a white foamy border), or was splashing against
the wall, but it is doing neither, and merely looks like they built that corner on the water's surface.

Furion: Some interesting colors, but too much checkerboard effect with the ground tiles.

Alison: No matter what statement you are trying to make, your shot should be something that
could be made in ZC. In other words, it has to match the screen resolution. I could have entered my
Minish Cap styled "Hole of Z" weeks earlier since I made it in Photoshop, but I respected the rule
about only entering shots made entirely in Zelda Classic, so I remade it using ZQuest.

ChunkeM0nkey A very pretty shot, I like it, (I liked your Screen Rebirth too), but those Koopa
sprites just plain don't work.

William: Awful. I find this offensive.

Ebola Zaire: I think I see what you were trying to do making a natural bridge over the water,
but without foamy water borders, I can't tell when the cliffs are touching the water and when they aren't.

Edited by Cukeman, 02 October 2011 - 09:22 PM.

#43 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:57 PM

I give up. I have no interest participating in this contest as it currently stands, be it via submission or criticism.

#44 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:11 PM

Really guys? There only joke shots lighten up. icon_shrug.gif I'm glad some people laughed at my shot

Edited by Shane, 02 October 2011 - 09:12 PM.

#45 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:14 PM

I went too far in my last post; saying that the shots were "s***" was overboard, and I'm sorry for that. However, the point of my post still stands: Both sides need to leave well enough alone and stop the arguing. It's pointless and inane; it's clear neither side will budge. I still can't understand why everyone's getting upset over something so significant; if you give it more weight, guys, it may only just escalate because all of a sudden there's a reason it to keep happening.

I can only say this so many times before my own message gets repetitive and inane. It may have already with this post. I don't know, nor do I care. I just want this to stop. Because I'm sick of seeing this community tearing each other apart over a contest. Over something people do in their spare time. And this:
QUOTE(Timothy McCorgi @ Oct 2 2011, 09:50 PM) View Post
IPB Image
... I don't even have words for this. How is this even contributory? No, don't answer that; it's rhetorical.

But really. I haven't seen a SotW get this heated in quite some time. Are we all so immature? icon_unsettled.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users