Photo

Screenshot of the Week 161

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
81 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 161 (63 member(s) have cast votes)

Contestants

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 06 May 2007 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE(Revfan9 @ May 6 2007, 10:08 PM) View Post
BTW...

IPB ImageIPB Image

I changed the water to purple at the last minute to make the lake seem more mystical, but I think I just hurt the shot. Opinions?

I like the purple muy mucho more Whoooooooooooooooosh!!!!, it looks more magical like you said.

#17 Bowser Blanchette

Bowser Blanchette

Tatsumi is ready to roll!

• Members

Posted 06 May 2007 - 04:43 PM

Revan9 for her mystical lake and Uxie's appearence.

...That is Uxie? Right?

#18 Golden Chocobo

Golden Chocobo

For Hoshido!

• Members

Posted 06 May 2007 - 04:52 PM

I had to vote for Revfan. The shading on the trees is beautiful, as well as the color choices. But looking at the shot before you changed the water to purple-- I like the previous shot better. The only thing I would really change on there would be the gargoyle. It doesn't seem to fit. Either way, yours was the most appealing.

#19 Fire Wizzrobe

Fire Wizzrobe

Master

• Members

Posted 06 May 2007 - 04:56 PM

DFW- How Lively! How purple.. the trees are! This gets my vote.

Nuvo- I never realized how ugly the DoR tileset's greens were combined with the grass. icon_frown.gif

Revfan- Eww... a very plain SD3 shot mixed with a pokemans sprite...

#20 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 06 May 2007 - 05:04 PM

QUOTE(Fire Wizzrobe @ May 6 2007, 03:56 PM) View Post

DFW- How Lively! How purple.. the trees are! This gets my vote.

Nuvo- I never realized how ugly the DoR tileset's greens were combined with the grass. icon_frown.gif

Revfan- Eww... a very plain SD3 shot mixed with a pokemans sprite...

Wait, so is this a palette problem? Please explain more.

Edited by Nuvo, 06 May 2007 - 05:05 PM.

#21 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 06 May 2007 - 05:14 PM

QUOTE(Revfan9 @ May 6 2007, 11:52 AM) View Post

DarkFlameWolf:

Same old problems as per the graphics this time. The grass texture just sucks. Period. Just use the plain LttP green if you don't want to import a new texture. Seriously. The pink trees are overused here, and those shadows on the left feel really out of place. The screen just feels really crowded, and the leaftop roof on that little wooden house has a very akward transition and just feels out of place. The recoloring on that cow is terrible. Not as good in terms of design as you usually do (which isn't that stellar anyhow).

4/10

Wow, guess after 10 quests and years of experience, I still don't know what I'm doing with ZC and I guess I better just pack up and go home! Because its obvious I suck! icon_lol.gif
You're always so positive Revfan.
None of my quests, esp. Lost Isle is for you Revfan, you'd critique the hell out of it before you got to the 10th screen and quit due to brain exhaustion of finding things wrong with it. But on the flipside, I don't see amazing stuff coming from you either, I do see nice rips, horribly re-colored, but that's about it.

Edited by DarkFlameWolf, 06 May 2007 - 05:15 PM.

#22 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 06 May 2007 - 05:48 PM

DFW: I think the layout is great, but it is the graphics. The current browns just have no sense of contrast, and more use of the black on the sides not facing the sun to give it depth(I'd say a darker brown, but PTUX has no room for such a thing).*votes despite the bad palette*

Nuvo: I have to agree with Fire Wizzrobe with the grass; I'd recommend selecting faded greens or make a new grass that is entirely covered in detail(SD3, for example), which darkens it into a better contrast.

Revfan: SD3, although nice color change. However, we've seen most of this, so it's nothing out of the ordinary.

#23 Fire Wizzrobe

Fire Wizzrobe

Master

• Members

Posted 06 May 2007 - 05:54 PM

QUOTE(Nuvo @ May 6 2007, 06:04 PM) View Post

Wait, so is this a palette problem? Please explain more.

Linkus sums it up. It's murky, and imo, the pallete is very dull. Maybe you've seen this link, because I've posted it a few times before:

http://pixel-arts.or...php?topic=922.0

This is guide to choosing good colors. (Providing your using a program outside ZC with a hue/saturation/luminosity color slider.) It helped me very much.

#24 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 06 May 2007 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE(Fire Wizzrobe @ May 6 2007, 04:54 PM) View Post

Linkus sums it up. It's murky, and imo, the pallete is very dull. Maybe you've seen this link, because I've posted it a few times before:

http://pixel-arts.or...php?topic=922.0

This is guide to choosing good colors. (Providing your using a program outside ZC with a hue/saturation/luminosity color slider.) It helped me very much.

Thank you for pointing this out, but I have a quick question, why should the palette I didn't make effect the vote on the shot?

Edited by Nuvo, 06 May 2007 - 06:14 PM.

#25 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 06 May 2007 - 06:22 PM

QUOTE(Revfan9 @ May 6 2007, 05:08 PM) View Post
BTW...

IPB ImageIPB Image

I changed the water to purple at the last minute to make the lake seem more mystical, but I think I just hurt the shot. Opinions?

Purple makes it look like a swamp...I like the blue better. icon_wink.gif

And that statue seems too soft for the surroundings.

#26 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 06 May 2007 - 06:54 PM

Ay, this is tough with only three shots. Well, here we go.

- DarkFlameWolf -

You seem to be getting less and less complex with your shots. icon_unsettled.gif I don't think those mountains blend well with the shot. icon_sorry.gif

- Nuvo -

I vote this one. I'm a sucker for those mountains, for some reason, plus, it just looks pretty. icon_smile.gif You did a good job, here.

- Revfan9 -

Don't get me wrong at all. It's very appealing to the eyes and such, but as a screenshot itself, it's somewhat empty, you think? Still looks great, though. icon_thumbsup.gif

#27 EnnonFenom

EnnonFenom

Why, must I clean out Old Lady Simmon's Cave?

• Banned

Posted 06 May 2007 - 07:31 PM

Well I had to vote Nuzo Mainly because I like how you did your sand and mountain tiles.

DFW: I like your shoot too but Something is just off too me, icon_confused2.gif I'm not too sure what it is but the feel kind of gives me mix'd feeling about it!

rev: I liked this shoot better
IPB Image
But the water is too similar to they grass, and those are some nice tree's, Ive seen them some were before? Did you rip them your self or from the web site I saw? I was going to use them but I felt they were too big!

Nuzo you get my vote icon_thumbsup.gif

#28 WindStrike

WindStrike

Culex is the bane of my existence.

• Members

Posted 06 May 2007 - 08:18 PM

Whee, I'm too lazy to do something apparently! Better to just let my time drift off to Smash! Ok, back on topic.

DarkFlameWolf:
First thing to point out - in the top right where the dirt ends to the grass. I just can't help but point out how horrific the contrast is. No offense, but that dirt stands out way too much vs. the grass. It's as if super bright sunlight were shining upon it or something, where as less penetrating sunlight is hitting the grass. Also, just what is that white/gray thing in the bottom-left that's hovering over a tree? It doesn't quite look like a bird. Also, the tall grass looks... out of place. In particular, it's the color - a little too dark in comparison to the standard short grass surrounding it. Ok, enough with the critism. Aside from those things, the shot is quite superb. The foliage shadows on the right blend in perfectly with the terrain it covers which has a nice transition to a forest area. The reddish/purplish trees give it a nice texture (sort of) and style to the surround areas. The rest of shot just works so well (that is, excluding said critisms).

Nuvo:
*Wind pictures a continuation of the DoR mountain in the top-left, given a height of 5.*
Ok... I really think it'd be better to do two things with that mountain:
-1) Oh please, SHORTEN THE HEIGHT TO 4. That'd mean a base cliff tile, two middle ones, and then the transition tile at the top. The current one right there has three middle tiles - sorry, but in DoR, that just doesn't look to pleasing, unless the top goes off the map. Just my opinion here, but any cliff that goes about 4 heights just looks... odd. Well, it's actually more of how it takes up so much room.
-2) Ok, after shortening that height, see the top-left area? Instead of using the diagonal curve like this:
_
/
l
Yeah, crude diagram, but at that point in the mountain considering that it'd be 4 high, change it to an upside-down L, and then use the appropriate surrounding cliff tiles for that. Trust me, that'd look considerably better.
That aside, moving onto the other stuff. The enemies are too varied - a moblin type, a darknut and a stalfos on an overworld screen as bright as that? That just... doesn't seem quite right. Ye may want to change that. House entrance for a cave entrance? Interesting choice. Same thing with using the treehouse tiles in a different way than originally intended to. Quite a nice touch, but it's hard to tell whether it's on the ground or not, so we can't tell what it is. As previously said, great job with the shoreline - I may have to use your shot as an example when setting up shorelines myself. Some of the grass details don't seem to fit - could be a little too much repitition, but then again, I don't know. Seems more of a placement problem come to think of it. Hmm... never thought of using the small cliff tiles like that. Twill have to remember that when making a DoR cliff tutorial in the near future. Nonetheless, a fairly decent shot that needs a little bit of a facelift, but still fair enough.

Revfan9:
I understand you still need to work out getting more ground details for your set, so I'll skip critiquing the lower section of your shot. My complaint falls with the water - it looks too similar to the grass. I couldn't even tell there was dirt under the water until you showed the blue water shot. Point is, I think a different choice of water would considerably improve the shot. As for what one to use... well, you'd have to find that one elsewhere. It's just the transparent water used there, although it may capture some mystical effect, it's too repetitive with its type of detail. So, given you replaced the water on that shot... that would've just looked plain awesome. Ok, that is, given you'd also include ground detail under the water. Nonetheless, a good shot.

Voted DFW due to, in my opinion, lack of issues in comparison to the other two shots and screen design - plus a few other smaller things.

#29 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 06 May 2007 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE(WindStrike @ May 6 2007, 07:18 PM) View Post

Nuvo:
*Wind pictures a continuation of the DoR mountain in the top-left, given a height of 5.*
Ok... I really think it'd be better to do two things with that mountain:
-1) Oh please, SHORTEN THE HEIGHT TO 4. That'd mean a base cliff tile, two middle ones, and then the transition tile at the top. The current one right there has three middle tiles - sorry, but in DoR, that just doesn't look to pleasing, unless the top goes off the map. Just my opinion here, but any cliff that goes about 4 heights just looks... odd. Well, it's actually more of how it takes up so much room.
-2) Ok, after shortening that height, see the top-left area? Instead of using the diagonal curve like this:
_
/
l
Yeah, crude diagram, but at that point in the mountain considering that it'd be 4 high, change it to an upside-down L, and then use the appropriate surrounding cliff tiles for that. Trust me, that'd look considerably better.
That aside, moving onto the other stuff. The enemies are too varied - a moblin type, a darknut and a stalfos on an overworld screen as bright as that? That just... doesn't seem quite right. Ye may want to change that. House entrance for a cave entrance? Interesting choice. Same thing with using the treehouse tiles in a different way than originally intended to. Quite a nice touch, but it's hard to tell whether it's on the ground or not, so we can't tell what it is. As previously said, great job with the shoreline - I may have to use your shot as an example when setting up shorelines myself. Some of the grass details don't seem to fit - could be a little too much repitition, but then again, I don't know. Seems more of a placement problem come to think of it. Hmm... never thought of using the small cliff tiles like that. Twill have to remember that when making a DoR cliff tutorial in the near future. Nonetheless, a fairly decent shot that needs a little bit of a facelift, but still fair enough.

1: The mountain is supposed to be steep, but I guess I could mess with it a little
2: There are actually no enemies on this screen, I just am currently refraining from using GB sprites, Stalfos?
3: If you look at the very bottom right tile on the screen, you notice that there is a tree top.

#30 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 06 May 2007 - 08:38 PM

That LTTP grass was more of a stylistic choice than anything else. In the upcoming quest I'm making you'll be seeing more of that. Its a sylistic decision to give it that grand LTTP feel, which is also why I'm utilizing the huge LTTP trees here and there. I'm trying to make the overworld feel bigger than it is.
And the bird is currently animated in the position where its head is underneath its wing atm, that's why it doesn't quite look like a bird yet. XD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users