Photo

Screenshot of the Week 151

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
72 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 151 (73 member(s) have cast votes)

Some good shots this week!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#61 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 14 January 2007 - 01:53 AM

There's definitely nothing wrong in .TakaM stating his opinion like that. Jpgs suck, I get it. But posting a bit more intelligent comment than that would make a bigger contribution to this thread. I really think people shouldn't post a comment if they can't say one single good thing about the screenshot they're commenting, or at least suggest how to make the screen better. I'm not offended by silly/harsh comments, but some members are quite young and sensitive and them seeing comments like eg "what an empty shot, very bad!" may turn off those members and they never want to enter sotw again. Think about it, if you're a newbie or just uncertain of your graphical abilities, do you want to hear comments that just slam your screen thru the floor? icon_razz.gif

Only my opinion, but if you don't know what constructive criticism means, don't post here.
Oh how I wish everyone could be like Radien. There's a member I appreciate a lot. icon_smile.gif

#62 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 14 January 2007 - 02:08 AM

I'm not debating that .jpegs suck ass, aside from their file size. But to totally disregard a screenshot because of that seems stupid to me. There's more to a screenshot than visual clarity

#63 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 14 January 2007 - 05:40 AM

Revfan, just to be fair, I know you worked hard to rip those tiles. They are coming out great. But for me, SotW isn't all about graphics, it is also about design. And the design in your screenshot needs work in my opinion. There is nothing really going on. It doesn't seem to grab my attention. The only thing going for it is the graphics, however, I actually think Sharon's screen has better design.

But in the end, I couldn't vote against Petoe's subscreen. It grabbed my attention. In my opinion, this is the best subscreen I have seen. The map is very well layed out (I work hard of maps, so I know). Just everything grabbed me. Perfect subscreen design.

#64 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 14 January 2007 - 06:53 AM

To Everyone:

Do all of you remember awhile back, when we had the issue of people taking comments and criticisms too seriously? Well, I think we've started to forget exactly WHAT went on in that little dilemma.

When you submit a screenshot to SOTW, unless you specifically request "no comments please," you're putting it out in the open for others to criticize. The moderators make no promises about the quality of these critiques. Some will be completely unhelpful, despite what we'd like. The only time moderators will call a critique into question is when someone is CLEARLY breaking our main forum rules.

Nicely asking for more information is acceptable, but sometimes people see that as baiting. The moment anyone gets defensive (or offensive), it begins to overstep the bounds of the contest.

QUOTE(.TakaM @ Jan 13 2007, 09:28 PM) View Post

filter evasion, yes, trolling, no.
I posted the reasons for my vote because people have complained when I havent explained my vote in the past, so if anyone has a problem with that- make up your *** **** mind.

then a post from noel consisting of 100% troll, I give him a thumbsup, then Sir Pimpalot follows noel and continues to troll

.TakaM, you resorted to petty name-calling just like those to whom you responded. Any variation on the phrase "only an idiot would think that ______________" is the very essence of a trolling post: it omits specific names and waits for the insulted party to fight back. All three of you were either trolling or flaming, mildly or no. My original inclination was to take the first of the posts as harmless joke, but apparently I shouldn't have.

Now, on a more personal note...

To put it bluntly, the reason people keep finding fault with your posts is because they detect elitism in your dismissive nature. While this certainly isn't against the rules, it's not going to win you much favor. Personally, I've seen some of your graphics and you've produced some pretty nice stuff. But since you've hardly ever posted any of your work here, most of our members don't know you from Adam. icon_shrug.gif As with any forum, respect is earned, because we have no other way of separating you from some jerk on the street. It may be inconvenient, but it's unavoidable.

#65 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 14 January 2007 - 10:38 AM

Since the subject has obviously changed (and Peteo has obviously won, fair and square), JPGs have a "quality selector" that ranges from 0 to 100. 100 is prefect, loseless compression. A 0 is so distorted that it is impossible to tell what the image is. What I've come to find is that while saving as a JPG, any program that doesn't allow you to select the quality level sets it at 85, which is possibly why Peteo and DFW's shots are messed up, as they may be using MSPaint or another program.

#66 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:45 AM

QUOTE(Radien @ Jan 14 2007, 05:53 AM) View Post
To put it bluntly, the reason people keep finding fault with your posts is because they detect elitism in your dismissive nature.
i.e. you have no manners (and apparently no sense of humour). You have no problem making blunt comments on someone's post (Peteo's screen in this case), but as soon as someone makes a blunt comment on YOUR post you get all defensive and start flametrolling!
IPB Image
.TakaM: Yeargh! I'm a flametroll! (in jpg format too... that's gotta cut deep...)

QUOTE(.TakaM)
then a post from noel consisting of 100% troll, I give him a thumbsup, then Sir Pimpalot follows noel and continues to troll
Though it was all in good humour (at least Radien got it icon_razz.gif), I'm guilty as charged, though there was no need to blow it out of proportion like that. This reminds me of an incident in Texas. Some woman was talking on her phone in the middle of a movie. The girl behind her tapped her on her shoulder to tell her to be quiet, and the stupid woman chucked a hissy fit and sued the girl for assault! The girl was found guilty, but do you really think she was in the wrong?... and Sir Pimpalot's post was obviously a joke as well.
QUOTE(.TakaM)
as for being ashamed of myself. No, not that either, I only really come here to check up on the m/sotw, usually pretty disappointing and the posts are always idiotic, however Im not a regular member here so I dont share the sense of shame all members should feel
... I had so much written down here, but to maintain the peace I decided to cut it back. I will say this one thing however... if you don't consider yourself a member and the only reason you come to this site is so disappointing, why do you even bother? I'm sure no-one would miss you, Trollie McTroll Troll!

... oh, and congrats Peteo!

Edited by NoeL, 15 January 2007 - 11:16 AM.

#67 jman2050

jman2050

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE(NoeL @ Jan 15 2007, 01:45 AM) View Post

*stuff*

Oh bother...

#68 Freedom

Freedom

Warrior

• Members

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:59 PM

ROFLOL...

Class......

CLASS......

SHUDDUP!!!!!!!

#69 Deathbringer

Deathbringer

Master

• Members

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:02 PM

My, this SoTW has quite a bit votes.

Peteo

Very nice subscreen. Infact, it's too awesome to describe. *Gets 50th vote*

Revfan

Nice tiles but bland design which makes it rather bad to me.

Sharon Daniel

Nice use of PTUX, but that certain tree looks bizarre and sticks out too much.

#70 jman2050

jman2050

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE(Freedom @ Jan 15 2007, 02:59 PM) View Post

ROFLOL...
Class......
CLASS......
SHUDDUP!!!!!!!

IAWTP

#71 Zemious

Zemious

Magicite: Bahamut

• Members

Posted 15 January 2007 - 05:57 PM

Even with Peteo's fancy subscreen/menu and the high quality graphics revfan produced, the beach still won my vote.

Reminds me of "Seals" on Ragnarok Online, anyone who plays or has been there knows what I mean. icon_razz.gif

#72 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 15 January 2007 - 08:44 PM

Okay. NoeL, Freedom, and even jman. This has gotten out of hand. The last few posts no longer have anything to do with SotW, so I'm warning you all once. Cut it out, or I'll lock the topic

Zemious, I didn't notice that until you said something. There needs to be less grass up top, but it does look somewhat like Seals

#73 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 16 January 2007 - 01:31 AM

Peteo - 52 votes = [74.29%]
Revfan9 - 12 votes = [17.14%]
Sharon Daniel - 6 votes = [8.57%]
Total Votes: 70

Peteo
IPB Image
Very detailed custom subscreen, isn't it?

Congrats Peteo! See you in the next Screenshot of the Month!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users