Photo

Screenshot of the Week 147

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
92 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 147 (67 member(s) have cast votes)

8 entries this week!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 04 December 2006 - 03:09 AM

We have a good turnout this week with 8 contestants. A couple were submitted last Sunday for this SotW, but we have had many come in over this week. Enjoy, and remember to comment on the screens. ^_^

Matthew
IPB Image
Oh look, it's the Arboria Tree! And Impa! And the Windmill Guy! And.... DIN?!

EatinCake
IPB Image
Someone needs a maid!

Sir Pimpalot
IPB Image
From my secondary game (unnamed), this is Ingens (latin for big). He's big and he's animated. icon_naughty.gif When I get my Custom Subscreen done, I'll show some gameplay.

Blue Link 2007
IPB Image
Well Mr. Mole, I guess we're outnumbered.

Sharon Daniel
IPB Image
Yaay! Snow!

Mr. Z
IPB Image
Don't let a tileset's limitations scare you.

Moonwhisper
IPB Image
I could've sworn it had just been Spring!

Revfan9
IPB Image
It's cold up here... @_@

There you have it. Thanks everyone for entering your shots. icon_biggrin.gif

#2 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 04 December 2006 - 03:15 AM

While none of them really stood out, I think Sharon did the best job overall. I especially like the trees

#3 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 04 December 2006 - 03:28 AM

Matthew:

Nice... Tree? Seen the shot a while ago, and the tree lacks proper shading. Overall, it's a well done CGBZ shot.

EatinCake:

Hmm... Nice walls. Other than that, the shot looks dirty, but I guess it was meant to look like that, so, nice job.

Sir Pimpalot:

Hmm... You have Graphic skills, so I cannot vote for you. Ah well. The shot is a bit blank, but the Ingens sprite is pure awesome.

Blue Link 2007:

A standard Pure dungeon shot. The mole needs a bit of a touch up. Also, the waterfalls in the back look like they are flat, because they are all in a row.

Sharon Daniel:

Nice tiles... This isn't going to be made public either I assume? Anyhow, the snow's texture looks really weird, and the ice could use some touch-up work. The screen is well designed, but the gameboy mountains look outdated next to the rest of the graphics.

Mr. Z:

Umm... It looks like you just made this shot to prove the point that a shot doesn't have to have fancy graphics to be good. Well, my good sir, you fail pretty badly. I can't tell where anything is because of how flat the mountains are, and the tree alignment is weird. There is also no transition between the sand and the dirt, which looks utterly strange.

Moonwhisper:

Umm... Nice shot? The arrangement is alright, but after all, it is just a screen from OoS.

Revfan9:

EWW!!!!!! That shot sucks!

I'm trying to decide between Eatincake and Sharon, I'll get back on that.

#4 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 04 December 2006 - 10:11 AM

Ugh, so many to comment on! This'll take a while...

Matthew: That's a fat tree... Nice shot, thought not a lot of activity. Only a small amount of tiles used, could perhaps use some decoration and tile variation.

EatinCake: Is that a guitar he's got there? I love it, nice sense of atmosphere. Probably not the best composed screen, but I think the colours tie it together nicely *votes*

Sir Pimpalot: Nice goron dude... custom? The mountains are a bit undetailed compared to him, and the shot is very plain, and very repeditive.

Blue Link 2007: ... I don't get it.... it's very blue though icon_wink.gif

Sharon Daniel: Very close second, but I don't like the grey snow, I thikn it contrasts too much with the aqua trees. With a more unified pallete this would have won.

Mr Z.: Is this a joke? I really expected better from a vet like you icon_razz.gif Nicely constructed shot, but far beneath ZC's limitations.

Moonwhisper: It's a good shot... but there's nothing to look at. Looks like a standard screen of the game, not a focal "screenshot worthy" screen.

Revfan9: Your choice of colour bewilders me. The trees are at a different angle to the rest of he shot and aren't detailed enough. Sorry Revfan, but you've submitted another shocker icon_confused.gif

#5 Lotus Eater

Lotus Eater

Wizard

• Members

Posted 04 December 2006 - 10:23 AM

Matthew
Is that a dog singing icon_confused2.gif
Anyways, it seems rather bland, and the big tree looks kinda weird.

Eatin' Cake
I have no idea what to say, other than Rock On!!!

Sir Pimpalot
Fantastic spriting, would have easily won, except for the fact that the rest of the shot is awful, if you would have tossed some detail in it would have been great. Oh and the big guy, his feet look odd to me for some reason, just thought I should let you know.

Blue Link 2007
I have no idea what is going on, and what's with the huge mole?

Sharon Daniel
The trees are brilliant, the snow needs to be colored more similar and the mountains look boring, other wise it is great, you got my vote as you have the most interesting shot, even with the faults.

Mr.Z
While the screen construction is good for a Classic Layout, I really don't think enough effort went into this to get a vote.

Moon Whisperer
This is nice and all, but overall not very competitive. It may be a consideration to add some spice to the screenshots, even though the GB version didn't have it.

RevFan9
The ghosts are great, but the mountains are horrid. Anyways, with nicer mountain, and less contrast with the mushrooms(?) I think this shot would be better.

Edited by Lotus Eater, 04 December 2006 - 10:25 AM.

#6 Dart Zaidyer

Dart Zaidyer

Mystic Beard of Truth

• Members

Posted 04 December 2006 - 10:30 AM

Sharon Daniel's trees are actually rips from Four Swords Adventures. (!!!)

#7 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 04 December 2006 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE(Dart Zaidyer @ Dec 4 2006, 10:30 AM) View Post

Sharon Daniel's trees are actually rips from Four Swords Adventures. (!!!)

Yes, the tops are, and they're slightly edited. The tree trunks are my old edits of the original aLttP trees.

#8 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 04 December 2006 - 11:10 AM

Oh dang. So many to comment on! icon_eek.gif

Matthew: Dude, that is one big tree! It looks great. I usually don't like symmetry, but it looks like that symmetry is a good idea in this case.

EatinCake: Well, what can I say? The look is great. There's money in several places, which does give the idea of a thieves' hideout. But, just curious, why the electric guitar?

Sir Pimpalot: Argh, attack of the symmetry! icon_blah.gif That guy reminds me of one of those Gorons from Twilight Princess. Aside from the goron, there isn't much else to see.

Blue Link 2007: Ok, merging two side sprites of a Mega Mole isn't a smart idea. It looks, uhhh,... weird. The water around the arena looks great, though! icon_thumbsup.gif

Sharon Daniel: I honestly don't know what to say. The only thing I can say is that the mountains should be more pale in color.

Mr. Z: Finally, someone who uses the Classic Tileset! Despite the NES looks, I kinda like how everything is put together.

Moonwhisper: I'm starting to see a trend here. It truly is beginning to look a lot like Christmas. Yes, everywhere I go. Also, I do not know what to say about the shot. It's,... uhh,... wintery.

Revfan9; Yup, it's a trend, alright. That greenness looks a little odd for a winter pic. Other than that, it looks ok.

And finally, I will make my vote! Uhh,... dang. I should start ruling out some people. *thinks for a while* Ok, after some thought, I think I'll go with Mr. Z. The majority of the screenshots just seem too graphics-oriented. Watch me get flamed for saying that.

#9 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 04 December 2006 - 11:15 AM

The majority of the screenshots just seem too graphics-oriented.

If these shots are from the quests people are making, then the graphics they use are already determined by what tileset they're using. I didn't build this tileset just for SotW. icon_unsettled.gif

#10 Bonegolem

Bonegolem

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 04 December 2006 - 12:01 PM

Sir Pimpalot that custom sprite goron thing is awesome! icon_thumbsup.gif I hope it's a boss, but massive scary NPCs are cool too.

I also really liked Mr. Z's use of the classic tileset. He just made it work really well. Good job, both of you.

#11 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 04 December 2006 - 12:54 PM

So many shots this week. icon_eek.gif
For me, my 2 favourites were EatinCake and Sharon Daniel.
They both offer a detailed screen.
In the end, I'm voting for EatinCake because it is something I have not seen to often in SotW. (Though, I haven't seen all that many SotWs, so...)

#12 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 04 December 2006 - 02:58 PM

Sharon, does tile do look similar to some snow tiles I've seen before. Are they customly made by you? I know I've seen a tile so similar at ZFGC....

For the shot, it is ok. I dislike the graphics used except the trees and water. The pallete isn't exactly snow related.

Cake,
nice attempt with the room, I do like the walls, but thats about it.

Matthew:
Average, and the tree looks alright. Nice try though.

PimpALoT: Nice work you've constructed here. It resembles the last Mother game released in the Game boy.

Mr. Z: I'm guessing you've made this shot just to start SoTW? Anyways, it has good construction with the Classic set, but nothing something to vote for.

I'll null. Nothing seems to stand out.

#13 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 04 December 2006 - 03:32 PM

Sir Pimpalot: Argh, attack of the symmetry! icon_blah.gif That guy reminds me of one of those Gorons from Twilight Princess. Aside from the goron, there isn't much else to see.

Yeah I based it on that one...yeah i know its blank, but i wanted ssotw o have somefin'...

@sharon: I like the fsa trees. =pretty.
@blue link: .....Siamese mole? icon_blink.gif

#14 Deathbringer

Deathbringer

Master

• Members

Posted 04 December 2006 - 03:34 PM

Matthew: An interested GBC style screen, though average.

Eatincake: Very nice. Gets my vote.

Sir Pimpalot: An edit of Masamune from Chrono Trigger isn't it? The edit is nice but the rest is dull and boring.

Blue Link 2007: Kind of a rather bland and it doesn't help that there are two gaint monty moles from SMW stuck in each other. <_<

Sharon Daniel: Nothing very interesting here that we haven't seen from you.

Mr. Z:....Mr.Z using the Classic set? Is that possible? Is this some kind of secret area or something? If so, then thats a nice classic screen there. Don't know how it can be improved though.

Moonwhisper: Theres something that seems odd but I can't seem to point out on what it is either. Its just missing something. Otherwise, this is a very good screen.

Revfan9: Very very strange screen. Why would there be water, grass trees and many trees in a Tundra? If I recall, A tundra is a very cold desert like area with barely any water, trees and let alone grass.

Edited by Deathbringer, 04 December 2006 - 03:34 PM.

#15 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 04 December 2006 - 03:34 PM

Sharon, does tile do look similar to some snow tiles I've seen before. Are they customly made by you? I know I've seen a tile so similar at ZFGC....

You mean the ground texture? I ripped that from a RPGM chipset.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users