Photo

Screenshot of the Week 143

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
57 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 143 (69 member(s) have cast votes)

Here are this weeks choices

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 28 October 2006 - 02:55 PM

Reluctantly Im going to vote for Aminus. Its great youre using Nes graphic, but for the love of god, you dont have to keep them at the same ugly as piss 3 color palletes. Take the time to actually color them for gods sake! Even the backround is just plain awful mate. However, its the only one with any originality or anything differet, and because this is a contest of the best out of these 4 shots, this one gets my vote.

Old-Skool, if youre going to do side view, dont use graphic that are from the point of view of the sky. The biggest example of this is the bridge. It just ruins the whoel shot for me. Only use half the bridge or something... but man, it doesent fit. Other than that, its ok, but there is nothing particuarly good or eye appealing about it.

Sharon, Its ok, but nothing orignal or new, or eyecatching. Although Im fairly certain you reversed teh light and dark colors on the tree tops there.

Dragon Atma, ok... what the hell mate. I would say more about this shot, but I think I might get yelled at for some of the things that come to mind right now so Ill keep my peace.

#17 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 28 October 2006 - 03:16 PM

Actually I did make some palette changes here and there, so I use 6 colors instead of 4, boo ya! icon_lol.gif Just playing around.

Oh, the character is the purple/silver guy at the bottom right.

[@EatinCake] Ok, I'll rip less and customize more. icon_heh.gif

#18 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 28 October 2006 - 03:18 PM

Sharon, Its ok, but nothing orignal or new, or eyecatching. Although Im fairly certain you reversed teh light and dark colors on the tree tops there.

Well, I did grab the tree top from the Adventure tileset, and Freedom is notorious for f***ing up shading. I was planning on editing those trees for more detail anyway, so I'll take care of the shading whenever I do that.

#19 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 28 October 2006 - 05:46 PM

Hmmm...I'm going to have to go with Animus with this one. Faxanadu was one of those great side-scrolling adventures that came out at the end of the NES's heyday. Although, I wouldn't recommend that many enemies in one screen, though. I would also recommend fixing your character to better fit the tile, like a dwarf(yes, pun intended.)

QUOTE(EatinCake @ Oct 28 2006, 03:55 PM) View Post

Its great youre using Nes graphic, but for the love of god, you dont have to keep them at the same ugly as piss 3 color palletes. Take the time to actually color them for gods sake! Even the backround is just plain awful mate. However, its the only one with any originality or anything differet, and because this is a contest of the best out of these 4 shots, this one gets my vote.

Actually, that's how the castle gate originally appears in the game. icon_razz.gif But believe me, there's much more color in Faxanadu. For example, check out the towns.

DragonAtma--why is your palette so blinding? If anything, rip the GB Pocket palette use that as a base.

#20 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 28 October 2006 - 06:02 PM

I planned to adjust the looks of the tiles so they match the sprites (Doors being same size as the Hero). I 100% agree of my 10 enemy overkill. IMO, I can't wait to start designing the towns. I'm probably going to design them after the first Overworld or after Tower of Fortress. I'm working on Eolis's tileset right now.

I still can't figure out DragonAtma's use of white and black, though. It's definitely a "horse of a different color", but maybe a gray color should be used for shading.

#21 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 28 October 2006 - 06:30 PM

. Its great youre using Nes graphic, but for the love of god, you dont have to keep them at the same ugly as piss 3 color palletes.
Linkus pretty much summed up my thoughts. I *LOVE* Faxanadu, and Animus set it up so well. I love everything about it except the main character, which is obviously very difficult to draw. May I recommand activating the 1x2 Character mode?

#22 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 28 October 2006 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE(ShadowTiger @ Oct 28 2006, 06:30 PM) View Post

Linkus pretty much summed up my thoughts. I *LOVE* Faxanadu, and Animus set it up so well. I love everything about it except the main character, which is obviously very difficult to draw. May I recommand activating the 1x2 Character mode?

Well, if I use 1x2, the character will be bigger than the monsters, and the monsters won't even look like a threat. I didn't really draw the character too much, except for his up/down views, which I completely drew based on other pics of the sprite. I basically resized it in Paint, but carefully. Most of the enemies were resized, except for the Spikey monsters, which are Red Leevers in ZC, and the flying hooded monsters, which are Peahats in ZC, as well. As for the tiles, they are all completely ripped, although I redrew them rather than using the GRAB option. Oh yeah, Faxanadu's castle gate is bigger than the castle gate in this pic. I had to resize the gate, without making changes to the tiles.

Oh yeah, I think I managed to include all of the items you find in Faxanadu, but I may make Misc 1 and Misc 2 as the battle suit and helmet, since the Hero doesn't wear them until he equips the Dragon Slayer. I made the Gauntlet a misc item, but I may change that to Triforce (whole) to add dramatic (yet, unfunctionable) effect.

Oh, I made this whole thing in 2.10. icon_heh.gif

#23 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 28 October 2006 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE(EatinCake @ Oct 28 2006, 02:55 PM) View Post

Old-Skool, if youre going to do side view, dont use graphic that are from the point of view of the sky. The biggest example of this is the bridge. It just ruins the whoel shot for me. Only use half the bridge or something... but man, it doesent fit. Other than that, its ok, but there is nothing particuarly good or eye appealing about it.

I'm not changing it, Eatincake, I'm just putting it up for Sotw.

#24 Comix

Comix

Hello.

• Members

Posted 28 October 2006 - 09:00 PM

Animus just takes the cake.

#25 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 28 October 2006 - 09:40 PM

I voted for Sharon. The rocks two squares away from the left side of the screen is a bit of a putoff, design wise, but the whole thing looks pretty good overall

#26 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 28 October 2006 - 09:44 PM

I know what you mean about the rocks. Normally I wouldn't do that, but I somehow overlooked it.

#27 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 28 October 2006 - 09:46 PM

HOLY %$#@! We got a neck-and-neck right here! This is probably one of the best SotWs I've seen, so far! Too bad we don't have a three-way tie, but that might be overkill. But still, dang.

#28 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 29 October 2006 - 12:49 AM

I voted SD, putting her in front by one. Faxanadu is a great game, but you can't really jump in ZC... yet...

#29 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 29 October 2006 - 01:59 AM

Funny you mentioned jumping. The Hero still can't jump in this game, but the Wing Boots are still available, so I guess that can fix the jumping. They're the Flippers in the ZC version. The diving sprites are basically the Hero guarding in mid-air. I just can't figure out why he has a Horizontal-switch animation when he's going up. I guess it reflects his walking tiles. But, I know what you mean about jumping. It's a big thing for platformers like Faxanadu. I'll remedy it, somehow. I might just make a custom tile for bridges, or something, but I'm probably going to hit a complex situation somewhere.

EDIT: Added a period that I accidentally erased, lol.

Edited by Animus01, 29 October 2006 - 02:00 AM.

#30 andrewmcd1

andrewmcd1

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 29 October 2006 - 12:40 PM

Vote=DragonAtma: Black and white dungeon is a good idea. I like.
2nd= Animus01: Like the graphics. Only problem is that the screen has too much action at the one time.
Joint 3rd= Sharon Daniel: Nice MC graphics. Some of the dirt tiles don't fit in, though.
Joint 3rd= Old-Skool: where the trees meet the water doesn't look natural.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users