Photo

Pokemon Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee!

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#16 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:35 AM

Hm, how do we actually know for sure there are no battles with wild Pokemon? I mean.. I can see why there might not be from what we've seen here, but that seems like a pretty big omission.

I am mildly excited about this. I played PoGO very casually, and ultimately found it to amount to busy work, once the charm wore off, so a game that is more of a game is a step in the right direction.

Plz keep the Pogo leveling out of this game though. Who thinks turning pokes into candy is fun? No one.

#17 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:43 PM

Hm, how do we actually know for sure there are no battles with wild Pokemon? I mean.. I can see why there might not be from what we've seen here, but that seems like a pretty big omission.

Yes.

Also just got confirmed that it doesn't use the standard leveling system, which is apparently too complicated for casual fans. Go leveling system seems quite likely.
  • Anthus likes this

#18 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 30 May 2018 - 01:06 PM

Pokemon regular leveling system is too "complicated" for casual fans? Seriously? The main series has one of the most basic leveling system in the RPG genre. You defeat pokemon, gain exp, level up, the end. Nothing too "complicated".

People can bring up EVs, IVs, egg moves and such, but those don't matter one bit for casual play.

Edited by Norzan, 30 May 2018 - 01:09 PM.

• Cukeman likes this

#19 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 30 May 2018 - 01:42 PM

Hm. Well, I do like that you can see Pokemon in real time in the field now. I never liked random encounters, period.

#20 HylianGlaceon

HylianGlaceon

Magus

• Members

Posted 30 May 2018 - 03:31 PM

Pokemon regular leveling system is too "complicated" for casual fans? Seriously? The main series has one of the most basic leveling system in the RPG genre. You defeat pokemon, gain exp, level up, the end. Nothing too "complicated".

People can bring up EVs, IVs, egg moves and such, but those don't matter one bit for casual play.

Agreed. Pokemon Go's system is much more complicated even.

#21 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 30 May 2018 - 05:25 PM

the way i see it is this is probably just a way to corral newcomers and people who haven't played Pokemon since gen 1 back into the main series. yeah it's probably gonna be simplified to all hell and not that fun to people who know every lil aspect of the game, but for relatively unseasoned players that's a plus and if they really crave deeper mechanical experiences they'll probably go back and check out the other games (or gen 8 when that comes out)

anyway it's just a side game so i'm not worrying too much about it, i'm not interested in it at all but it really wasn't made for me tbh

#22 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 30 May 2018 - 06:12 PM

Tbh, even though it's clearly a marketing move to get people interested in the newer games, that doesn't mean it can't be a good game. Maybe it doesn't have all the mechanics of the proper games, but it'll have enough to be a proper game, or they wouldn't publish it on the Switch. Nintendo and Game Freak haven't released many bad games on console (some games that are worse than others, but few that are actually bad - Phillips CD-i notwithstanding), so I'm cautiously optimistic.

• Rambly and Russ like this

#23 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:47 PM

For those worried about the Go influence on the main series, don't be.

• Rambly and Jared like this

#24 HylianGlaceon

HylianGlaceon

Magus

• Members

Posted 31 May 2018 - 02:25 AM

Found some interesting info on IGN. (Apologies if mentioned already, but all seemed new to me.)

"Considering battling wild Pokemon is a common method to EV train Pokemon, we asked if effort values and individual values (hidden stats in the core Pokemon games) would make a return in Let’s Go. Masuda said “we wanted to make it more simplified,” and to “please wait for more details.” We did confirm there will be some differences in how you level up, raise, and train your Pokemon. Experience will still be earned by catching Pokemon and battling trainers, but other details were absent.

Though Pokemon from Pokemon Go can be transferred to Pokemon Let’s Go as long as they’re of the first generation, Masuda and The Pokemon Company had “no comment now” when asked if Let’s Go will be compatible with Pokemon Bank, or if Pokemon from Let’s Go will be transferable to the unnamed core series title coming in 2019."

So looks like you just get Exp. from catching Pokemon versus actually battling. Talk about bland. And these might not be transferable to the actual main games from the looks of it.

"These special partner Pokemon will not be able to be evolved, but wild Eevee and Pikachu are available, which can be evolved. If you don't like your partner Pokemon, you can always send it to the box."

RIP any minor interest I had. No dressing up a Jolteon, Flareon or Vaporeon? The Evolution Pokemon can't Evolve?

"The Pokemon box in this game is different, however. You will carry the "box" with you in Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee, allowing you to swap out your party on the go."

So our party is essentially 36+ mons now?

"Version-exclusive Pokemon will exist in Let’s Go, like the many Pokemon games before it. Battling and trading are both available online and locally, but online ranked battles will not be available, and as for the Nintendo Switch Online service launching in August, Masuda said they "don’t have any plans to utilize the online service right now."

So....is that a yes or a no on online? I thought the Switch has no other online once the official service comes out, which is before this game comes out?

Page found here for anyone curious - http://www.ign.com/a...ses-november-16

#25 klop422

klop422

• Members

Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:51 AM

In that case, I'd probably hold off until we get proper word on whether anything is transferable to the proper games.

Also, I feel like it was expected that Pikachu wouldn't evolve (there are a bunch of non-evolving Pikachus in the series) but that Eevee won't? That's a bit odd.

Less interested now, but again, probably worth picking up at a reduced price a few months down the line.

#26 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:04 AM

Judging by the 3DS VC games compatibility with existing games takes many months after release

Edited by Cukeman, 31 May 2018 - 11:04 AM.

#27 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 01 June 2018 - 07:43 AM

So....is that a yes or a no on online? I thought the Switch has no other online once the official service comes out, which is before this game comes out?

Page found here for anyone curious - http://www.ign.com/a...ses-november-16

According to a clarification by Famitsu, the use of online battles and trades will require the online subscription. However, features like the GTS, Battle Spot, and Wonder Trade will not be available. 

As someone who loves Kanto, I've got some mixed feelings regarding these titles. I understand, from a business perspective, the effort to entice Pokémon Go players by catering to them in a spin-off game. I think it will set a good foundation before the new main installment comes in 2019. However, the oversimplification of wild Pokémon battles, leveling, etc. is annoying to me. My one gripe about Sun and Moon was how much the game held the player's hand, and this seems to be a step in a worse direction.

Whether or not Pokémon can be transferred to the next generation will be a make it or break it feature for me. To me, one of the greatest appeals of Pokémon is collecting all of my Pokémon from past adventures and bringing them into one place. In Pokémon Bank, I've got all of my main Pokémon from Sapphire, FireRed, Colosseum, XD, Emerald, Platinum, Black, X, etc. It's super geeky, I know. And I'm totally up for something new. But I'm not interested in dropping the cash to catch Pokémon of no future significance. 

#28 klop422

klop422

• Members

Posted 01 June 2018 - 09:15 AM

What I do hope is that, despite the simplification of those features, it turns out to have its own nice mechanics. tbh, it is kind of looking like a Pokémon Go Story Mode or something, which is fine... just not that interesting on its own.

If it turns out to be pretty much Pokémon, but for newbies, then it'll be this series' Mystic Quest. Because Final Fantasy Mystic Quest is everybody's favourite Final Fantasy. Only this time it's a little less racist against Americans, I guess...

Also, RE level-ups, maybe learning new moves is too complicated? Choosing which moves to teach your pokémon has a little bit of a learning curve, if I remember correctly (though I think I started with Pokémon ~10 years ago or so, so I'm not sure). Other series (Final Fantasy, for example) just teach you new skills/moves as you level up. I feel like most games do a good job of properly teaching you what moves do (and have a trainer's school for people who like that sort of thing) early on, so I don't think it's that bad, but still.

• Jared likes this

#29 HylianGlaceon

HylianGlaceon

Magus

• Members

Posted 23 July 2018 - 01:52 PM

Looks like this game is probably going to have very little challenge if any. Gyms now require you to have a certain type of Pokemon or certain Level before you are allowed to challenge it. Brock is either a Water or Grass type and Misty is Lv.20 or higher Pokemon have to be on your team. I imagine Lt. Surge will be a mandatory Ground type but unconfirmed.

Oh and both Pikachu and Eevee get Double Kick at Lv.9 from the looks of it further making Brock a pushover.

#30 klop422

klop422

• Members

Posted 23 July 2018 - 02:54 PM

Clearly what they're building up to is forcing you to only use traded pokemon against Misty so you have to sit through them ignoring you :P (despite the fact that they probably got rid of that mechanic as well).

Honestly, even ignoring the fact that this defeats the purpose of the gyms (to be proof that you can be strong enough to beat them, without having to stop the game), this is a stupid idea. Re Brock, it'll make you have to search for these types of pokemon (and if you run out of poke balls, then wait until you get one in Go), and in Misty's case, that's forced grinding. I'd argue that Brock is a kind of grinding as well, but seriously: this is supposed to be an introduction to pokemon (and RPGs in general) and they're putting artificial roadblocks in the way. The series is already not the best for that, but this is ridiculous.

That probably came off angrier than I actually feel, but still. My interest in these games just dropped. By quite a bit.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users