Learning C++

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:05 PM

As the topic says, I'm interested in finding good software to learn C++ and do all related work with. I'm not interested in any other kind of programming language right now, just C++. I'll get to the other ones later.

#2 Rover

Rover

slam dunk

• Members

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:43 PM

http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html

I've been using this since I've been learning C++ for the last couple of weeks, it works really well.

#3 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:22 PM

I suggest you learn Objective C instead. Very similar to C++ but more suited to Object-Oriented approaches, which is pretty much what all programmers use today. Also, if you want to develop iOS apps you'll need to know Objective C.

But yeah, either devcpp, or if you can get your hands on it, Microsoft Visual Studio is a decent IDE for C++ programming.

#4 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:37 PM

Code::Blocks and GCC/MinGW also work. As far as tutorials and such, cprogramming.com and cplusplus.com have some.

#5 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:42 PM

I recommend you absolutely do NOT use devcpp. Use Code::Blocks instead with gdb(debugger) and gcc with MinGW(assuming windows). Also, C::B Nightly builds are much better than "official releases". I have revision 4912 or something like that right now.

Otherwise, I use MSVC 2008 (2010 is the recent release). The hands down best IDE for windows. period. End of story.

#6 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:43 PM

QUOTE(NoeL @ Feb 9 2012, 07:22 PM) View Post

I suggest you learn Objective C instead. Very similar to C++ but more suited to Object-Oriented approaches, which is pretty much what all programmers use today. Also, if you want to develop iOS apps you'll need to know Objective C.

Read: "does not want to learn about any other language right now, only C++."

#7 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:37 AM

Read: "I'll get to the other ones later." Implies you're new(ish) to programming and have picked C++ to start with for no good reason (or at least reason unspecified). If you're a beginner I'd suggest Java icon_razz.gif (now I'm just doing it to annoy you).

#8 aaa2

aaa2

Wizard

• Banned

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:57 AM

If you want to learn c++ i would suggest installing linux and using geanny as a texteditor for programming. Also i would suggest once you try to make some bigger projects to learn how to write make files(makes a lot of things easier, for example you can do compiling and running in one command line command). Also you wont need to type a lot of compiler flags since you can just dump them into the makefile. I personally am a big enemy of IDEs (i simply dont get them). There shouldnt be anything besides maybe Heisenbugs that a you cant fix with gdb. Also debugging by std::cout should be no problem, even for bigger projects. When programming object oriented it is also very wise to put massive amounts of asserts to strictly limit the ranges in which your project operates(also it makes some things easier to debug). Furthermore asserts can very easily be omitted by a simple compiler option.

Edited by aaa2, 10 February 2012 - 10:58 AM.

#9 blue_knight

blue_knight

Adept

• Members

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:21 PM

I'll throw another opinion in the mix, though it's pretty close to what Gleeok said.

Anyway I use Visual Studio on Windows - say what you want about Microsoft but their development tools are top notch. On Linux I use Code::Blocks and Xcode for Mac.

Edited by blue_knight, 10 February 2012 - 01:21 PM.

#10 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:38 PM

Noel is right.

Best to learn C first. C++ and C# are just bigger extensions that are the same as C.

I tried C++ first and was substantially confused about half way through.
Having the knowledge of C will help untangle the web.

I used Code::Blocks for compiling.

#11 lucas92

lucas92

Defender

• Members

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:42 PM

I think it's actually better to learn C++ first because it learns you the good programming practices : clean code, references, std::string while C code abuses pointers which cause so many problems, and the C compiler is less intelligent when it comes to many things (structure in a structure, etc).

#12 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:56 PM

I would recommend learning Javascript or Python first. icon_deformed.gif Java (not Javascript) first is alright, but I hate its overuse of wrapper classes. I mean come on, do you really need 30 different classes for file I/O?

#13 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:05 PM

If you're REALLY new to programming I'd start with one of the Click programs (Klik n Play, The Games Factory, Multimedia Fusion, etc), then move to Actionscript (Flash) or something icon_deformed.gif [/offtopic]

#14 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:26 AM

I'm kind of changing my mind on C++ anyways. But thanks to everyone for the ideas

#15 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:31 AM

But but but...
QUOTE(King Aquamentus @ Feb 9 2012, 08:43 PM) View Post

Read: "does not want to learn about any other language right now, only C++."
icon_naughty.gif

• HavoX likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users