Strange computer behaviour

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 13 January 2008 - 03:23 PM

So, it was like my brother was using the family computer. He then went to play RuneScape and noticed very high download/serverconnecting time. So he restarted the computer. The OS loading process was very long and when it was all loaded, the following error message came:

"C:\Temp\spqoo can't be found, be sure you didn't mispell the name."

The filename was something like that and the file adress was also like that (might be Windows instead of Temp). Then the following came: "C:\Temp\Temp0A is false binary file" and Temp0A was replaced with Temp0B and so on for a time. Then a cascade of black windows came (just like DOS applications). Their names were exactly the same of the continiously running programs' names (NOD32, Winpatrol, etc.). All of them froze at once. When all got eliminated, I realized that there's no internet. This meant that there wasn't internet on my laptop, either. Soon all icons dissappeared, and the same error messages returned. I did a virus scan, no result. I did an Ad-Aware... just some tracking cookies. I manually restarted the internet (unplugging - replugging), but no result. I went to the tool assistant and saw that there was a "PCI tool" among the "Other/miscellanious tools". It was disabled. When I reenabled it, it became non-working. (Error 28: No "illesztőprogram" (Connecting program? That software that is used to connect hardwares to the main computer unit.) )

Now there's internet. So I rushed here to tell it, because I know there's some master computer users whos might tell me something about it.

#2 Takuya

Takuya

spirit of fire

• Members

Posted 13 January 2008 - 04:01 PM

Sounds like you are infected with something. I would check if those files are actually there... Something is trying to run those. Run `msconfig' and check services and startup. If you see anything weird, uncheck it and restart. (You'd have to manually edit the registry (HKCU->Software->Microsoft->Windows->CurrentVersion->Run))

#3 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 13 January 2008 - 04:55 PM

I recommend AVG or something similar. Or just upgrade the OS, clean upgrade, don't delete anything else, etc. icon_shrug.gif

#4 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 14 January 2008 - 02:13 PM

I found it!

ssqpo.dll

Some serious malware. I wonder how couldn't NOD32 and Ad-Aware find it... Now I run safe mode (if I can recall how I do that, there's no "restart in safe mode" option) and do some Ad-Aware and such plus looking into the registry and such.

EDIT: Strange, I tapped F8 to et into safe mode, but instead I was asked from what I wanted to boot. I chose the HDD and then it asks for the account password. I didn't even know there was a password there... There's certainly no password for the account on my laptop...

EDIT2: I used the XP install CD and chose the "fix" option. Now, the computer won't even boot up. icon_thumbsdown.gif

#5 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:38 PM

...Dude.

Go to the Recovery Console on the XP CD and type in fdisk /mbr

if it's not /mbr, try /fixmbr

That should repair the master boot record.

#6 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 15 January 2008 - 06:22 AM

I just did that after I read your post... but no effect. I made even a fixboot, but nothing.

The initial error was found: the "ssqpo.dll" malware. But then suddenly the windows asks for a password when there isn't one and now this unability for booting... despite this computer being not so old...

#7 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:14 AM

Just hit enter when it asks for a password. When you boot into the recovery console and pick a Windows installation to repair, it's supposed to do that.

#8 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:38 AM

Well, the repairing still didn't make me go to the password asking screen, now it restarts upon starting to load windows. So the computer is now at the service, where I bought it about 2-3 years ago.

EDIT: Oh yes, this unability for booting up came exactly after using the repairing console.

#9 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:49 AM

thats why theres a warning when performing that particular action in the Recovery Console.

#10 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 January 2008 - 08:20 AM

Well, booting became impossible even before I used those functions that had a warning message before them. Repair type reinstallation didn't have a warning and went exactly like an installation. Even the security code (against piracy) was asked.

#11 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:53 AM

i read the topic better and i have the following tip.

Pressing F8 early will tell your (on some) BIOS to ask you what device to boot from. if it asks for a password and there is none then just press enter. once you have gotten past that you should again start tapping F8 to enter safe mode.

#12 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:01 PM

Well, the user profile got passworded, not the BIOS. So I could reach the Windows loading screen and THEN being asked for a password. The computer is still at the service shop. I'm so curious what will they make up.

#13 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 19 January 2008 - 03:24 PM

Dude. Salvage data from it onto an external disk, and then wipe the partition.

Then, gimme a cookie, and install Windoze again. Or just use Linux (Wheee!) icon_shrug.gif

#14 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 19 January 2008 - 03:45 PM

I don't know if any data can be harnessed without breaking that rogue password. I will ask the service men if it's possible. I already suspected that the partition will need to be deleted, my family got used to the thought.

I'd use Linux, but most programs come only for Windows (as far as I know) and even multiplatform programs have Windows version earlier. Take ZC for example. Plus, my family would need a lot of time to get used to the new platform. They are so stone headed on the matter of computing and on changes. Especially on changes in computing.

#15 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 20 January 2008 - 07:44 AM

get a 2nd hardrive or a USB stick and install windows onto it then you got access to the hard drive. or stick the hard drive into another pc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users