Sword Equip Issue

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Thunderfist

Thunderfist

Recipient of Ways

• Banned

Posted 12 April 2019 - 05:52 AM

Thank you so much. I'm trying to use many weapons to change between many characters with modified Like-Likes as item removers, and I thought the level for each would max out. I'm using 2.5 and have just been adding content because I didn't see how anything I'd done could have possibly messed things up, and wanted to make the most extensive X-Men game ever.

How do I "set the item override to something valid?" Does that just mean changing the levels of the items? And what does QR stand for with regard to ZQuest?

I can't thank you enough.

#17 Thunderfist

Thunderfist

Recipient of Ways

• Banned

Posted 12 April 2019 - 06:44 AM

Worked like a charm.

#18 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 12 April 2019 - 06:47 AM

And what does QR stand for with regard to ZQuest?

"QR" is "Quest Rule."

They're global options that you can set to modify behaviors across your entire quest. They're under the "Quest" menu, in a "Rules" sub-menu, where you can select from 7 different categories. It might be worth taking some time to look over these and see which ones are currently working in your favor and which ones you may want to change to better suit your needs.

It's also worth noting that item classes use the leveling system to decide which item is selectable in your inventory. The default ZC behavior is to give the player the ability to use only one item from each class, and if the player has multiple items from a single class, to give the player the highest-level item from that class. So using the default setup, if the player has 4 swords, and selects the single "Sword" item class slot in the subscreen, they'll be given the level 4 sword. And if the swords are all the same level, then... I guess it'll get confused? Now I've seen quests where multiple items from the same class are selectable in subscreen, i.e. all 3 boomerangs have their own selection slots and you can choose which one to use whenever you want, but I've never had a need for such an inventory, so I can't help you on how to set that up.

#19 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 12 April 2019 - 07:51 AM

Huh. I tried changing levels on the swords. I guess I didn't change enough of them.

I do have a lot of comments for your quest, but if you wanna put out a demo, I suggest just staying on track and getting what you have moving as intended. Because my issues lie with the presentation. Hard to read text mainly.

But also some things where I think you'd be better off doing scripts.

#20 Thunderfist

Thunderfist

Recipient of Ways

• Banned

Posted 12 April 2019 - 01:31 PM

Oh, OK. Yeah, I'm familiar with Quest Rules. Thanks. And I'm getting the hang of basic levels and classes, but that was a lot of really good information, thank you. I just wish I could customize characters without the hassle.

I don't know the first thing about scripts, but I've read through all of them available here and on Armageddon. I wanted to show clever workarounds that didn't require scripting, but I really want to improve the presentation as well.

Maybe a script that automatically removes certain items before equipping others so that Like-Likes aren't required (before each item is equipped to get to the appropriate graphics with Link Tile Modifiers rather than stacking on top of each other and ending up with the wrong character graphics); combined with a script that stacks multiple items into one you can pick up at once. Those I think are probable, and would eliminate the need for so many cumbersome shops.

Ideally, I'd love it if you could switch between NPC's that follow you, each have their own health if hit while following or when switched to, you can leave the 16th to pick up a new one, and only telepaths would follow you to the Astral Plane/ only good guys warp to Heaven/ bad guys to Hell; and if a 2nd person could control another hero or enemy for multiplayer. And if there were no limit to tiles, weapons, or DMAPS. And if you could fully customize weapons' graphics effects in a more intuitive manner. And customize the graphics tiles in chunks 1/4 the size of the smallest currently available. But I think that's pretty unrealistic, and I don't want to learn to script if I'm not making the perfect game.

If someone wants to script something for me and give me exact instructions for implementations/ modify my current game file for me (with better text backgrounds and signs), I'd at this point accept and and you'd have my eternal gratitude; but I'm also pretty sure that's a long shot.

BTW I've just been playing through a tweaked version of some of the X-Men game so far, and it is SOOOOOO satisfying. My friends are gonna love it on my birthday Monday, even if it does have its problems right now. Thank you everyone.

Edited by Thunderfist, 12 April 2019 - 01:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users