Photo

Ideas for a Quest?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MrSnowBro

MrSnowBro

• Members

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:24 PM

I've been trying to come up with ideas for a quest but I can't, I know I want it to be placed in Hyrule but everything else is just a blank, can someone help me come up with something?

#2 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:48 PM

Just a few questions.

1. Do you have any other ideas for what you want in the quest?

2. What do you want help with for ideas exactly? Just the story or other things?

3. What game(s) in the series are your favorite(s)? Short reason on why?

Edited by Maikeru D. Shinigami, 08 May 2017 - 07:55 PM.

#3 MrSnowBro

MrSnowBro

• Members

Posted 08 May 2017 - 09:01 PM

1. Hmm, well, for starters, I don't want it to include a gimmick from another Zelda game (like changing seasons in Oracle of Seasons, growing down to Minish-size in Minish Cap), I also (even though it is placed in Hyrule) don't want Ganon to be the main antagonist, he's just used way too often, I guess I really just want something original and not something any other Zelda game has done.

2. I mainly want help with plot. Like what is Link's motive behind his journey, what does he have to do to achieve his goal, that kind of thing.

3. The Oracle games are quite fun in my opinion, they're one of the few Zelda games that I kinda find challenging with puzzles and combat, they also include many different mechanics that I like such as the magic rings, the animal companions, etc. Twilight Princess is also another one of my favorites for the same reasons, the combat is slightly easier to that of the Oracle games (maybe because I didn't have to play on an emulator) but the puzzles are quite puzzling, the plot is also very good, alongside the very clever items such as the Ball and Chain and Dominion Rod make it honestly one of my favorite 3D Zelda games.

Edited by MrSnowBro, 08 May 2017 - 09:15 PM.

#4 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 09 May 2017 - 12:53 AM

Alright. First off.

Tileset:
I recommend either Classic, Koten or EZGBZ for starting out. Classic and Koten are really easy to learn while EZGBZ is gonna have Oracle visuals and isn't that difficult to learn.

Plot:
I have a few. Mainly ones I was gonna use.

1. Memories
This has kind of been done on here before in a way. But in this case, the people of Hyrule have had their memories wiped for an [insert reason here]. I actually was having Link seek out Great Fairies in this case for information. Since the people in town have their memories wiped. Link is restoring the memories of the people to learn [insert thing being learned here]. I always had it go into history. Like, the land is kind of messed up, and you don't know why.

2. Color
This is more of a gimmick concept. But you have a villain who is stealing the color from all things. Lack of color could have various effects. Maybe things in the environment won't move, making it impossible to reach places. Maybe it causes people to have no information to give, or to not know how. We'll say that removing color sucked out the life of stuff. This was my idea for how Oracle of Secrets could have been.

3. Seven Deadly Sins
In this case your villains would be the seven deadly sins. In this case, sin could be the overall theme. You could explore a darker history of Hyrule or make it where the lands are being plagued by one of the various sins. You might consider only using six triforce pieces and one final boss. But I would just make two dungeons where you don't fight sin, or even make one fought more than once.

You could probably even combine these ideas together to a degree.

I recommend at least starting out with a minimalist approach. Like, before worrying too much about scripts, learn what the program can do on its own.

A second tip. Be active, share some of your stuff. Take in ideas from the community. Everyone as far as I can tell wants to help make any quest better. Don't be too prideful to accept a little constructive criticism here and there.
  • Matthew and Dark Ice Dragon like this

#5 MrSnowBro

MrSnowBro

• Members

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:09 AM

Yeah, I kinda know the Classic tileset since I have been playing around with ZEditor, I really do like the Oracle visuals of the EZGBZ tileset so it might be that or the FYS tileset, I'll play around with both and see which one is easier for me.

Ooh, these plots ideas are good! I like the color one a lot as well the Seven Deadly Sins one, I think maybe 3 / 7 Deadly Sins could be reverse versions of Din, Nayru, and Farore! The color one sounds fun to do too, possibly if I used the EZGBZ tileset maybe some enemies from the Color Dungeon in Link's Awakening could be normal enemies in that game? I'm not sure, but it is an idea. 

Yeah, I've been trying to stay within in my limits, there's only one script I've been using (the only I got working) and that's the Item Pickup Message String Script, mainly just for the feel of a more modern Zelda game.

I'll try! Constructive criticism is always helpful. :) Btw thank you so much!

#6 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:52 AM

somebody in past already made dark sides of the 3 goddess,  but the idea of the 7 sins is really great and nobody made a quest on that, i really want play a game whit that story

#7 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:54 AM

Cram 100 different dungeons into a single quest with 2 16*16 overworld maps and average playtrough time of 8 hours.

• Demonlink likes this

#8 MrSnowBro

MrSnowBro

• Members

Posted 09 May 2017 - 08:53 AM

Yeah, true. I might do the color concept then and see how that works out.

#9 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:24 AM

somebody in past already made dark sides of the 3 goddess,  but the idea of the 7 sins is really great and nobody made a quest on that, i really want play a game whit that story

Are not the bosses in Moosh's QftHS2 the seven sins?

#10 MrSnowBro

MrSnowBro

• Members

Posted 09 May 2017 - 12:23 PM

So I'm going to go with the color based plot, it might nod towards Twilight Princess's Twilight covered areas of Hyrule and how you remove Twilight from that area where you have to find the bugs and fill the Vessel of Light I think? It would be the same where Link would have to find a way into the colorless area and find the multiple Paint Drops and when he finds them all, color will be restored and he'll be able to continue his search for the cause of the color draining.

#11 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:17 PM

I will say that I know there is a black n white palette in EZGBZ. I might go into that sometime in the future myself to create my imaginging of the Oracle of Secrets (Mystical Seed of "Courage").

But yeah, feel free to use any of those ideas. As long as you understand I may use some of those ideas myself later. :P But those are some of my lesser creative ideas. Soooo... I love biblical referencing too. *coughcough*Maybe some day I will use the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse idea*endcoughcough*.

If you can, I also recommend getting the NPC script to work. Off all the scripts in the DB, I honestly think of the NPC script and Item Pickup Script as the most essential. Unless you are going for a full on Z1 feel.

No problem. I don't mind helping out. Writing is my specialty. I have plenty of ideas left over. I just went with ones I thought would be simpler to pull off.

#12 MrSnowBro

MrSnowBro

• Members

Posted 09 May 2017 - 02:27 PM

Yeah, the NPC Script will help immensely too, it will definitely reduce the amounts of caves in the quest, I hope I can get it to work. :P

The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse would make a really good quest, if you use it and make a quest out of it then I will most definitely play it!

Yeah, if I can't find a black and white palette for the tileset I'm wanting to use then I'll use the EZGBZ tileset :P but once again, thanks for the idea! :3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users