LP

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 DCEnygma

DCEnygma

you're going to have a bad time

• Members

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:18 AM

I'm talking a look at Recettear, a game recommended to me by a friend. It's goofy, it's quirky, it's a bit tongue in cheek, and it fills a role that you probably never thought you would. To be honest, I really wasn't sure that I would get into a game like this, since it definitely has a distinct, anime-esque humor. While I'm by no means anti-Anime, the humor can be a bit taxing to me, especially when it tries to be as cutesy as this game does. However, if you look past that (or if it doesn't bother you) you have a solid dungeon crawler/shop owner sim here.

I think the game that I would compare it to, at least from a fundamental standpoint, is Harvest Moon. Much like Harvest Moon, you have set goals, a game built around one of the most mundane-sounding jobs ever, and some quirky humor. Also, you have a sub-game separate from the main objective that supplements you (the cave in Harvest Moon allowed you to find rare items, but you risked being over exhausted. Really, it's a good game, and hopefully we'll have fun going through it. Since I am still rather new at this, I'd appreciate your feedback and thoughts. Thanks, and enjoy! :)

Spoiler

#2 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:21 PM

Oh hey. I bought this game awhile back but never got around to trying it. >_< Seems pretty nifty though. I'll have to keep an eye on this LP, and probably play along or something, lol. Good stuff so far. icon_smile.gif

#3 DCEnygma

DCEnygma

• Members

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

Here we go again, onto Day 2! Capitalism, ho!

Spoiler

#4 DCEnygma

DCEnygma

• Members

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

Day 3 takes us deep within a mysterious forest in search of epic loot. Will we find any? Tune in to Day 3 to find out!

Spoiler

#5 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

Dang it, I'm falling behind. ): Like I mentioned, I do want to kinda play along with the videos so that way I get to experience it myself, then see how others did it or something.

Anyway, keep it up! icon_biggrin.gif

#6 DCEnygma

DCEnygma

• Members

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

I'm hoping to release episodes on a Mon-Wed-Fri schedule, if that helps. Glad you are enjoying them. icon_smile.gif

#7 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:50 AM

Glad to hear. icon_smile.gif I just finished watching part 2. If I may make a slight suggestion - I find it a little hard to hear you during the dungeon sequences where there are a lot of louder sounds going on. Perhaps increase the commentary audio? I 'unno. Figured I'd offer a suggestion. :3

Great stuff though. I learned a fair bit that'll be very handy to know when I get back to playing. (Finally got around to it. X3) Very informative. icon_smile.gif I'll probably get to part 3 tomorrow.

EDIT: Screw it. Watched it despite saying I'd watch it tomorrow. icon_razz.gif Once again, great stuff. icon_smile.gif

I believe Recette says something along the lines of 'Are you all right?' or 'Are you okay?' when you get hit. Not 100% sure. Also...Those fish. I've never had that happened. I love it though. XD The bosses are also pretty cool. I've faced two so far, both in the plains. I'm pretty bad for not exploring the town regularly. D:

#8 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:35 AM

I have this game. I've found that after a certain point, the shops in town aren't very useful anymore and you're best off getting all your gear solely through dungeons. Of course, it's kind of risky considering that if you lose, you're out a lot of gear.

I've only seen the first video, so I don't know if you know this yet, but any equipment that you sell to your adventurers will be equipped by them if it's better than their current gear. If they come to your shop and want to buy something, it's best to give them a huge discount/sell at a loss to ensure that they're able to buy it and take it with them into dungeons without any risk.

#9 DCEnygma

DCEnygma

• Members

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:05 AM

QUOTE(SpacemanDan @ Jan 29 2013, 12:50 AM) View Post
Glad to hear. icon_smile.gif I just finished watching part 2. If I may make a slight suggestion - I find it a little hard to hear you during the dungeon sequences where there are a lot of louder sounds going on. Perhaps increase the commentary audio? I 'unno. Figured I'd offer a suggestion. :3
I tried to lower the sound a bit more when I recorded Day 3, 4, and 5 (since I did them all at once). You'll have to let me know if that's better for you. Thanks for the input, though! icon_biggrin.gif
QUOTE(SpacemanDan @ Jan 29 2013, 12:50 AM) View Post
I believe Recette says something along the lines of 'Are you all right?' or 'Are you okay?' when you get hit. Not 100% sure. Also...Those fish. I've never had that happened. I love it though. XD The bosses are also pretty cool. I've faced two so far, both in the plains. I'm pretty bad for not exploring the town regularly. D:
I've had some interesting encounters in town, so its good if for nothing more than some laughs. Yeah, the fish also crack me the hell up. icon_lol.gif
QUOTE(kurt91 @ Jan 29 2013, 05:35 AM) View Post
I have this game. I've found that after a certain point, the shops in town aren't very useful anymore and you're best off getting all your gear solely through dungeons. Of course, it's kind of risky considering that if you lose, you're out a lot of gear.
I assumed this, but early on it can be beneficial since shops in town sell at like 70/75% of value and you can resell for at least 120% in most cases.
QUOTE(kurt91 @ Jan 29 2013, 05:35 AM) View Post
I've only seen the first video, so I don't know if you know this yet, but any equipment that you sell to your adventurers will be equipped by them if it's better than their current gear. If they come to your shop and want to buy something, it's best to give them a huge discount/sell at a loss to ensure that they're able to buy it and take it with them into dungeons without any risk.
I actually did mention that in my Day 3 video, I believe. Unfortunately, I haven't had much luck with that during the LP. icon_smile.gif

#10 DCEnygma

DCEnygma

• Members

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

Day 4 brings us our first day acting like proper shopkeepers! Let's see what we can get for all the loot from our dungeon run last time, eh?

Spoiler

#11 DCEnygma

DCEnygma

• Members

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:06 AM

Day 5 is upon us as we journey deep within the dungeon caverns beneath (above?) the forest! What mystical treasure will we find? What the hell kind of boss is at the end?

Spoiler

#12 DCEnygma

DCEnygma

• Members

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:50 PM

No new vids this week, guys. Gonna be out of state for a few days. I'll try to get back on schedule next week.

#13 DCEnygma

DCEnygma

• Members

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:01 AM

Aaaaaaand... we're back! Sorry for the extended delay on the release of these videos, but I'm back in action once again. It's Day 6, and we're heading down to the last section of the 1st dungeon. What kinds of rare treasures will we find?

Spoiler

#14 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

All caught up! icon_biggrin.gif Awesome stuff. icon_smile.gif

On the subject of running. Not sure if you know, but while Louie can't run, Charme can by double tapping. The best part? You can run indefinitely. There's another character that can run, but I don't remember his name. >_< He's even better with his running because when you run into an enemy while running, they take damage. At least, that's how it's always been when I used him. In the end though, I end up using Louie just because I'm so used to his play style. ._.

So I found out that by ignoring all the events, I missed out on a lot and was stuck with the Jade Way until the last week of the game when I actually started looking at them. Of course, by then it was too late. ._.

Also, on the audio balance, it sounds fine to me. If you wanted, you could probably push the game's audio up a pinch. But it's fine as it is now. icon_smile.gif

Also also, the ending of the most recent video. I had good laugh.

#15 DCEnygma

DCEnygma

• Members

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:30 AM

Alright! We are back yet again, this time with the conclusion to Day 6! What dangerous creature awaits us on the lowest level of the Jade Way?

Spoiler

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users