how does pzc feel about jrpgs

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 14 February 2022 - 09:48 AM

up until this point in my life i never really got into rpgs or jrpgs. not for any reason, i was just never around any or exposed to any. i'm generally willing to try games of any genre. then last year i played tales of symphonia (and recently played it again) and i think my life is changed. i followed it up with secret of mana and seiken densetsu 3, and now i'm playing tales of phantasia. i love these 2d titles because i tend to like 2d games, but also, the story of symphonia was so good that i literally cried.

when i'm done i want to play some fire emblem and try out the mother series, especially earthbound. i also want to play as much of the tales series as possible. what are your thoughts? recommendations?

#2 FieryBirdyThing

FieryBirdyThing

Junior

• Members

Posted 14 February 2022 - 11:40 AM

how does pzc feel about jrpgs

Not sure how a website feels about anything, to be honest, since I don't know how to communicate to a website. :P

As regards to how I feel about (J)RPGS, I don't mind them, and will gladly play any that interest me. My main problem with them seems to be not finishing them most of the time, though, which is a nuisance.

I've mainly played 2D RPGs, although I have also played some 3D ones, as well. I rather like Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, and the Mario & Luigi series in regards to turn-based RPGs (although I've also played Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, and a couple of Final Fantasies), and I enjoy Secret of Mana and Kingdom Hearts on the more 'action RPG' side. I suppose you could class the Pokemon games as turn-based RPGs, as well, which I also enjoy, very much.

I've never played any of the Earthbound/Mother games, though. As much as I'd have wanted to have played them years ago because of their utter weirdness, comparisons to Undertale have slightly soured my interest in them in recent years.

I've also dabbled in some games that kinda fit the RPG template in some ways, but aren't quite RPGs as such, such as Maneater, which is sometimes marketed as a 'ShaRkPG' (I recommend it if you've ever watched a crappy shark movie, and sided with the shark :P), and Solatorobo, which also gets classified as an 'action RPG'. Heck, I recall when video game magazines used to classify Zelda as an RPG, so I think the definition has been muddled at times.

Edited by FieryBirdyThing, 14 February 2022 - 11:45 AM.

#3 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 14 February 2022 - 12:01 PM

The Final Fantasy series has several games that are considered milestones for the genre. I personally think most of every main game from 4 to 10 (or more specifically from 6 to 9) is where the series shines its brightest, though mileage may vary. I did personally really like 12 as well, though that one does require a lot of time and patience.

The Dragon Quest games formed the basis for most JRPGs as a whole and are still solid in gameplay, though they are considered somewhat generic in story and settings to some people. I've only played 11 thus far, so I can't comment on which games are the best, though 11 from what I've heard is the most modern and accessible of the games to date.

Chrono Trigger is considered by many (including myself) to be a masterpiece and it isnt particularly long by today's standard. Its indirect sequel, Chrono Cross, is also a really good JRPG even though it isn't generally regarded as being on the same level. It is supposed to be getting a remaster sometime soon.

Super Mario RPG on the SNES is a really good one that is fairly easy and short for the most part and occasionally has platforming elements like an actual Mario game.

Edited by Titanium Justice, 14 February 2022 - 12:03 PM.

#4 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 14 February 2022 - 12:56 PM

I love jrpgs, I'm disappointed that nowadays most rpgs are "action rpgs". IMO, Final Fantasy 6 is the grand masterpiece of the genre. No other game even comes close for me.

#5 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 14 February 2022 - 03:40 PM

I have always liked RPGs, the problem has been commitment because those bastards do be lengthy. The tradeoff is how rewarding they often are. Ya know, assuming the battle systems and the story remain engaging. Hell, there are cases where only one of those two aspects is strong, but strong enough to carry the rest of the game. Not often, but it happens.

Super Mario RPG was probably my actual first real RPG and I think it holds up well to this day still. It was very forward-thinking in some aspects, such as keeping all earned EXP if you lose a fight (although you do still return to the last time you saved), and party members who aren't in the active party will still level up. Sure, the graphics don't hit for everyone, but I'm still charmed by them, the music is fantastic, the isometric platforming is definitely janky but still manageable... it's a great game, a terrific starting RPG, and honestly I wish we could see it with a modern coat of paint. Something akin to the plastic toy set style of the Link's Awakening remake would be super fitting.

Then of course, its successor, Paper Mario. Another fantastic game that definitely holds up a lot better, and is one of the few Nintendo 64 games in general that have aged well. I've still yet to play any other games in the series, I borrowed Thousand-Year Door from a cousin but admittedly lost interest in the first chapter. Something to remedy one day, but the original is still fantastic.

A weird little outlier is The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age. A western-developed JRPG-style game set in Middle-Earth, specifically mimicking the movies' settings? Sign me the fuck up. Electronic Gaming Monthly boldly claimed it as "the most exciting RPG since Final Fantasy," a claim the box proudly sported on the front cover. I haven't played this game in ages (heh), but I remember it being decent with... a story that was frankly poor fanfic featuring original characters, but that was outweighed by the ability to explore settings from the films and that made my teenage brain explode. I'd like to try it again one day, even knowing the story is shit, just for nostalgia's sake.

I never got into Final Fantasy games until later. My first was IV, after watching a streamer friend speedrun the 3D version. I never did finish it, but I fixed that in fall 2020. After which I played VI, and then V. Those are the only ones I've beaten. I did try XII, but I lost interest after a few hours. I did start VII, but then Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity and Spider-Man: Miles Morales came out, so I had higher priorities. I'll get back to VII at some point because I'm genuinely interested, and I'm told I would enjoy IX, as it's basically "one last hurrah" for the classic style of Final Fantasy.

V is one of those games where one aspect of its design carries it despite the other being weaker. That would be its gameplay. The story in V is... lacking. It's very vanilla. But the job system is fantastic to grow and experiment with, makes playing the game worth it. VI is definitely the better game in all other aspects, to be absolutely clear, but I do prefer V's jobs to the Esper system in VI. However, I'm also fine with characters having predetermined skills, ala IV. IV is such a weird game with a nonsensical plot but I have a soft spot for it, and I'd call it my favorite despite thinking it weaker in many aspects compared to V and VI.

The big daddy is Xenoblade. Honestly it was Shulk's inclusion in Smash that got me interested, and I was not disappointed. Fantastic experience and simply my favorite JRPG. The Definitive Edition definitely updates some of the weaker aspects and is the suggested version to play, but you still can't go wrong with the original. Gorgeous, incredible soundtrack, fantastic story and characters, beautiful world design, it's one of those rare magical games that transports me away to that distant land when playing.

Then there's Xenoblade X. Its combat sucked until you get your mech, the soundtrack is weak, and the story and characters are trash. The good story is hidden away behind sidequests.

Then there's Xenoblade 2. Despite its "anime" exterior, it's more in line with the original, albeit the developer did intend for it to be more of a "shonen" style story, and it does show. Still, it's a solid story with great visuals and a combat system that is admittedly poorly explained but, once you master it, oh so satisfying. It's my favorite combat of the three games, but the original game is still the strongest overall.

There's a lot of JRPGs I'm missing out on and need to fix that. Classics like Chrono Trigger and Xenogears, Secret of Mana, other Final Fantasies... it's a lot. One day I may get to them... maybe.

But what about Western RPGs? Admittedly also not as well-versed, less so even, but I've tried a few. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, the only game I've played in its series. I do like its story but honestly it's just kind of a funny game in the sense that it has so few voice actors, who are just exaggerating their lines enough to be endearing. I'd kind of like to play it again, but that would be quite the undertaking. That, and I'm thinking about how repetitive Oblivion Gates got and I'm not sure if I want to deal with that again.

Fallout? Well, I tried the originals... and I find I'm not cut out for them. I do not like the isometric point-and-click style, riddled with literal luck mechanics based on tabletop. That's why I gravitate more towards the first-person RPG version. Fallout 3! ... is one of the worst-written things I've ever played. Oh sure, the world design is good, and there's a lot of sidequests that carry the experience better. Hell, even most of the DLC chapters are solid. But the main plot? Atrocious. I've heard Fallout 4 is worse, but I wouldn't know, that game played better but it still lost my interest after a little while.

So let's sneak in between them. New Vegas? Fantastic. Incredible. One of the best games of all time. However... this is the opposite situation of Final Fantasy V, where now it's the story carrying the game. The gameplay... is serviceable, but once fighting gets added into the mix... It's the same engine as Fallout 3 so both games share this problem. It's just... not suited for gunplay. It's the Elder Scrolls engine with guns stapled onto it. After a while I finally adjusted, but it's basically why they made VATS the way they did. Fallout 4 definitely plays way better as a shooter, it just tumbles backward in every other aspect. New Vegas though? Incredible world-building and story, which you can actually influence. My favorite RPG of all time, period.

It says a lot though that it wasn't even developed by Bethesda, but Obsidian, comprised of former Fallout 1 and 2 devs. They would then go on to make The Outer Worlds, kind of like Fallout in space, with updated mechanics including gunplay that actually feels good! It carries a lot of the same charm and atmosphere as New Vegas, although admittedly isn't as strong in the exploration or story departments. It's still a very solid game, and I'd take it over Bethesda Fallout any day.

And that's my major experiences with RPGs. I'm sure something slipped but uh. I think this post is big enough already.

#6 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 14 February 2022 - 06:26 PM

I used to be super into JRPGs, sometimes to the point of obsession. Then this weird thing happened shortly after playing Xenoblade Chronicles, I just completely lost the taste for them. There's a bunch I've been interested in, but whenever I go to sit down and play one I just end up getting bored and putting it down. Action RPGs get it a little easier than the turn based ones, but there's still a bunch of things that can easily turn me away. 

Basically I've become Scott The Woz:

• Bagel Meister likes this

#7 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators

Posted 15 February 2022 - 01:14 AM

I played and finished Mother 3 years ago, and it was a really memorable game. Interesting combat system, unique story and it didn't feel like it dragged on. Similar story with Chrono Trigger, although I didn't replay it for the multiple endings; I was more than happy to finish it once and leave it at that. I also played FFX around 2007 but I remember that being such a long and painful slog even though I got two-thirds through the game. Tried replaying it briefly last year and I feel that it's aged poorly in a lot of ways - it feels like the jump to 3D was something Square Enix went all out on and it came at the cost of quality over quantity.

More recently I've played Final Fantasy 7 + 9; I finished 7 and started 9 but I think I suffered from a bit of JRPG fatigue at the time which is why I don't think I carried on with it. Ni no Kuni II started good, but the combat system and the prince turned me away from it.

As of last week I started Earthbound after it came to the Switch Online library; I'll probably finish it before I sink my teeth into Elden Ring.

I love jrpgs, I'm disappointed that nowadays most rpgs are "action rpgs". IMO, Final Fantasy 6 is the grand masterpiece of the genre. No other game even comes close for me.

I feel like the transition to 3D hurt for a lot of the classic tropes in JRPGS. Turn based combat isn't as immediately rewarding as shoving a sword down someone's throat, unless you're a hardcore Pokemon fan. Even the FF7 remake has become a more beefy action RPG than anything else. The most recent game I can think of that I've played that still has that classic "spirit" to it was Octopath Traveler, and even then I couldn't stand to play that game for more than two or three chapters. I haven't played Xenoblade, although I bought the first one and traded it in nearly immediately because I just wasn't a fan.

I have always liked RPGs, the problem has been commitment because those bastards do be lengthy. The tradeoff is how rewarding they often are. Ya know, assuming the battle systems and the story remain engaging. Hell, there are cases where only one of those two aspects is strong, but strong enough to carry the rest of the game. Not often, but it happens.

it's definitely a question of balance; if there's too much focus on narrative it'll drag hard - Pokemon Sun and Moon are massive examples of this. Likewise, the battle system can make or break it for me - if it's got too many moving parts it's not worth my time, but if it's too simple I feel I'd just breeze through it. 

But what about Western RPGs? Admittedly also not as well-versed, less so even, but I've tried a few. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, the only game I've played in its series. I do like its story but honestly it's just kind of a funny game in the sense that it has so few voice actors, who are just exaggerating their lines enough to be endearing. I'd kind of like to play it again, but that would be quite the undertaking. That, and I'm thinking about how repetitive Oblivion Gates got and I'm not sure if I want to deal with that again.

Oblivion holds up well with its weird RPG systems - I picked up a PS3 GotY copy dirt cheap last year and played it for the first time in probably 15 years - but it suffers from the lack of immersion that comes with the limited voice cast. Skyrim is the opposite - more diverse voice cast, but much simpler in the way of game mechanics. I can see why die hards who played Morrowind and Oblivion hate it.

Bethesda get too much acclaim for what it's worth in my opinion, and I'm glad they slid backwards a bit with the fiasco that was Fallout 76. It says a lot when the best game of the franchise wasn't even made by them. Also have to agree with you about The Outer Worlds, not that I've finished it yet. Game mechanics are solid but not great, but it definitely feels like something's missing. I assume there'll be more added into the sequel but I won't know what it's like cos I'm a PS4 owner lol

Edited by Taco Chopper, 15 February 2022 - 01:14 AM.

• The Satellite likes this

#8 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 15 February 2022 - 01:49 AM

Bethesda get too much acclaim for what it's worth in my opinion, and I'm glad they slid backwards a bit with the fiasco that was Fallout 76. It says a lot when the best game of the franchise wasn't even made by them. Also have to agree with you about The Outer Worlds, not that I've finished it yet. Game mechanics are solid but not great, but it definitely feels like something's missing. I assume there'll be more added into the sequel but I won't know what it's like cos I'm a PS4 owner lol

My hope is that the sequel irons things out and enriches the world(s) even further ala Fallout 2. I remember reading they had plans to hopefully have true mod support in the sequel, as it wasn't something they could easily implement in the original. My other hope is that Microsoft owning both Obsidian and Bethesda means that after this they can make another Obsidian Fallout but I find that unlikely, unless Obsidian lobbies hard from within.

#9 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 17 February 2022 - 06:21 PM

jrpgs are for cheese enthusiasts

play something 2d for sure, maybe SNES era. something simple and localized already - if you're gonna play earthbound you could also try dragon warrior

Edited by Magi_Hero, 17 February 2022 - 06:23 PM.

• Nathaniel and Taco Chopper like this

#10 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 17 February 2022 - 09:00 PM

I'm very picky about JRPGs I play, and I haven't really played a lot. I do like them, but I think I like watching them more than actually playing them sometimes. I'm not really a fan of random battles, or turn based combat but some games make it fun. In no order, some of the JRPGs I like are:

FF7

FF3

FF6

FF10

Mother 3

Paper Mario (N64)

Omori

Bravely Default (but this game also burned me out cause I went for 100%)

And that's about it for turn based games.

• Shane and Bagel Meister like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users