The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

• Please log in to reply
1333 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Link 2007

Blue Link 2007

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:10 PM

Well, I'm completely impressed by the new Zelda. If you haven't watched the trailer yet, click here to see it

Oh, and throw in a couple of comments as well.

Edit: Changed the link to a much better video.

Edited by Blue Link 2007, 15 June 2010 - 02:23 PM.

#2 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:15 PM

Good points:
  • Graphics are beautiful.
  • Sword beams and Pegasus Shoes make a return? Awesome.
... I'd have more, but there really wasn't a whole lot to see about the vid.

Anyways, bad points: The controls look screwy, not sure how I feel about 1:1 swordplay, or throwing bombs for that matter. Rolling bombs looks awesome, but besides that...

Not much to critique at this point. I have a weird mix of excitement and apprehension inside me right now.

#3 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:20 PM

I find the lack of any pants highly disturbing... not to mention they made his skirt shorter. icon_odd.gif icon_freak.gif

#4 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE(green-kirby @ Jun 15 2010, 02:20 PM) View Post
I find the lack of any pants highly disturbing... not to mention they made his skirt shorter. icon_odd.gif icon_freak.gif
Wait wtf? Don't you realize that the majority of Links wear no pants?! icon_eek.gif

... yeah, it sounds like a joke I used to make all the time. Couldn't resist. icon_heh.gif

But he is wearing pants. Some kind of baggy thing. O_o

#5 Yapollo

Yapollo

To Discover

• Members

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:36 PM

I am both suprised and pleased with how well the graphics look: different and unique, but not bad by any stretch of the imagination.

Also rolling bombs looks fun. Consider "Bowling for Octoroks"

*Is shot for bad joke*

Seriously though, it looks like a pretty good game.

#6 Sir Evan

Sir Evan

Adept

• Members

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:01 PM

The game itself looks good. It's the presentation that I didn't particularly like. All they really did was talk about the controls and how the standard items worked. It left me with a ton of questions...

What I liked...
  • The graphis style. It looks really nice.
  • Sword beams are back!
  • The beetle!
  • Running. We've needed that feature since OoT.
  • The level design. Although that area may have just been for demonstration purposes, it looks a lot better than many of the past areas. Compare this forest to TP's forest.
What I want to know more of...
  • How about give us part of the story? Like how does raising his sword give it beams? Or that concept art girl's name? Or her purpose? Or if it even takes place in Hyrule?
  • Are the controls really that finicky? Or was it just a bad demonstration?
  • Where was Link's boomerang?
  • How is the dungeon/overworld system used? Traditional-style, or the one described in that "confirmed" leak?
  • Is Ganon back?

I hope they announce more specific details before E3 is over.

#7 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:48 PM

TRAILER

GAMEPLAY

I think the graphics look great, but I'm not loving the gameplay so far. I guess we'll see what happens with it as Nintendo releases more info.

EDIT: Um. Yeah. icon_deformed.gif

Edited by Rem, 15 June 2010 - 04:01 PM.

#8 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE(Rem @ Jun 15 2010, 04:48 PM) View Post
Well, since there's no actual topic for it, but rather things slightly related, I thought I'd post this just to discuss it in general. If the staff deems it unnecessary, they can lock it.
Make sure you read around before posting. This thread's been up for almost three hours since this post. icon_razz.gif

*Merged the separate thread into this one*

#9 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 15 June 2010 - 04:00 PM

QUOTE(The Satellite @ Jun 15 2010, 04:57 PM) View Post

Make sure you read around before posting. This thread's been up for almost three hours since this post. icon_razz.gif

*Merged the separate thread into this one*

Woops. icon_doh.gif I skimmed through, but didn't see anything. Sorry 'bout that.

#10 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:29 PM

I think the graphics are great; but really I almost never have to complain about those in a Zelda game. The colors are bright and poppy... we'll have to see how much ENORMOUS BLOOM they throw into it this time around. icon_biggrin.gif

Otherwise, I'll have to reserve judgement for the final product. If the combat flow is similar to Twilight Princess or Wind Waker, I'll be quite happy. The new items are a little weird, but I'm fine with it. Besides, it'll probably only be used for one dungeon... Spinner anyone? icon_razz.gif

#11 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:57 PM

People comment on the colors as though that alone determines the graphical style of a game. The character and enemy design is still highly influenced by Twilight Princess.

As someone who actually has a custom-made Twilight Princess Link costume, I can guarantee that the character design has remained completely unchanged. The only thing they changed was they cel-shaded him. Mature character design with cel-shading? I'm surprised there aren't more excited anime fans out there. icon_razz.gif

And yes, Link is wearing pants. Tan-colored pants, but pants nonetheless. Notice how they lop over his boots slightly. Furthermore, in Twilight Princess, Link did have a shorter tunic than usual... that's because he was (and still is) wearing pants.

Incidentally, the style of his sword belt, shield, and sheath are also EXACTLY the same. The Hero's Bow seems to be identical to TP, too. His boots aren't shown up-close, but from this distance they look like they're the same as TP. The altered appearances I noted in the returning items were the slingshot and the bombs, but seriously, does anyone really mind that?...

As for 1:1 swordplay, I'm cautiously optimistic. THIS Zelda game is made exclusively for the Wii, so they'll be spending more time perfecting controls on the single console. In any case it looks better than TP Wii in this respect. As long as the way the moves are RENDERED stays true to Ocarina/TP (i.e. every attack is either a slash, slice, or stab), I am quite happy to give it a try.

P.S. - Found two differences. The loose end of Link's belt isn't tied in this version, and the belt buckle is grey instead of gold. Also, Link seems to be lacking the bracer he had on his sword arm in TP (neither arm has a bracer in SS -- perhaps they didn't like having a protective item that didn't do anything in-game). Lastly, some of the ornamental lines on the tunic are gone (they probably didn't render well with cel-shading). See, I told you I'd notice the tiny details. icon_razz.gif

#12 Sir Evan

Sir Evan

Adept

• Members

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:20 PM

So I guess the controls do work better than Miyamoto's demonstration showed. Seems reassuring. Also, I'm digging the new map, it looks like it might actually be useful for once.

...Come to think of it, why do we have both the slingshot and the bow? Didn't TP prove the bow to render the slingshot obsolete?

#13 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:35 PM

I watched E3 on Nintendo's website, and after the show there were some exclusive "Iwata Asks" interviews showing. One of them was about Skyward Sword, and Miyamoto said something interesting. He thought Twilight Princess was too big of a game, so this time around they're going to make Skyward Sword a shorter game, but more dense. For example, the overworld might be a lot smaller but will be more diverse and rich in exchange.

#14 Eppy

Eppy

Alisa~

• Members

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:45 PM

The only concern is that swinging my arms like that is going to make me tried, real fast.

#15 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:53 PM

Everything about it looks awesome. Especially that beetle item. But the thing that looks neatest to me is the graphics. Seriously, it's like a funky TP-WW fusion. Looks awesome.

So, I guess this dispels all the rumors that were "confirmed" earlier. icon_razz.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users