ZC

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 pixcalibur

pixcalibur

Warrior

• Members

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:47 PM

Part 1 - Typical start of the quest.  No real extra stuff to do at this time, so may as well go through the first level.

The Islands Of Zelda, by Lightwulf, is an interesting quest.  Fairly balanced with a nice use of a variety of items that can be put into a quest.  Nothing really fancy, but simple stuff can work well if used correctly.  No need for complicated scripts or anything to make a good quest.  Starts off pretty linear, but the exploration expands as you progress into later levels.  Interesting that water is used as the main boundary between levels instead of mountains and other stuff.  Eventually, water will not restrict your exploration, so once you get to that point, doesn't hurt to take a bit of time to explore other stuff to find more goodies.

• Lightwulf likes this

#2 pixcalibur

pixcalibur

Warrior

• Members

Posted 06 August 2015 - 09:22 PM

Part 2 - Going through level 2.  A short hop over to get to level 3 after.

Hmm, maybe not the best quest to upload at this time given people are disliking these early parts.  Have the next few parts scheduled already, so can let them go up.  Can put this quest on hold after that and maybe put something else that's been on queue a while in place just to get that moving.

• Lightwulf likes this

#3 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 06 August 2015 - 09:29 PM

All because part 2 got a dislike you're going to postpone uploading this quest? I don't see what the problem is, and on the first part, I only saw one remotely negative comment (and at the time, 4 likes to no dislikes), mostly someone complaining about ZC being a "crappy" program. Honestly, it's refreshing to see a more basic quest that is a bit more obscure than some quest that is already massive and generally well-received.

#4 TK8305

TK8305

I <3 Miyu

• Members

Posted 06 August 2015 - 11:12 PM

Pix, don't let the dislikes get ya down man.  Just keep pushing ahead with your LP.  It's inevitable that your gonna get some haters here and there with certain vids.

• Lightwulf and KingPridenia like this

#5 pixcalibur

pixcalibur

Warrior

• Members

Posted 07 August 2015 - 04:18 PM

sucks when the sample size is like 1 or 2.  So easy for things to twist one way or the other.  Also sucks when there's no feedback either.  Not sure if the video or quest choice was wrong or something.  And given I usually play more old-school style quests without all the fancy scripting and stuff, may not be looked upon favorably.  Not that I'm going to change anything.

So, got the next 5 parts or so already set to go from before.  Still thinking about after that point what to do.

#6 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 08 August 2015 - 04:54 AM

First of all, thanks for doing a Let's Play of my quest! :kawaii:

I don't have much time on computer, but I'll see how far I can get through this.

Part 1:

• Very thorough job explaining the secrets! :D
  • So far, the only secret you missed is burning a bush to get secret Moblin money on the screen where you beat red Octoroks and a red rupee appears in the middle of the screen.  Look for the bush with small rocks on three sides (in the upper-left of the center of the screen); that's the one to burn.
  • Be grateful you only had to pay 150 rupees for the Magic Shield.  I originally had it selling at 200 rupees!  You'd have to have gotten the secret Moblin money to be able to afford it (unless you wanted to grind, of course).

Part 2:

• I've played the early levels so much, it's a pleasure to see what changes (including diagonal walls) I made to them later in the game 'cause I forgot about the changes!
  • Boomerang - Yes, the Wooden Boomerang does reach the statue, but you have to stand right next to the spikes in order for it to reach.
  • Two Stairways - The only reason is that if you find one of the pushblocks, it'd be a pain to walk around if you weren't by the stairway, so I just put two stairways.  (That may change when I eventually get around to making the DX version of this quest in ZC version 2.50, because then I could have more than one tile warp per screen.)
  • Clocks - I think they only last 5 seconds if you play this quest in version 2.50.  If you try it in version 2.10, you should find they last longer (like, until you leave the screen).

I'll be posting more later when I finish watching.  I'm at 10:49.

#7 pixcalibur

pixcalibur

Warrior

• Members

Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:34 AM

• So far, the only secret you missed is burning a bush to get secret Moblin money on the screen where you beat red Octoroks and a red rupee appears in the middle of the screen.  Look for the bush with small rocks on three sides (in the upper-left of the center of the screen); that's the one to burn.
  • Clocks - I think they only last 5 seconds if you play this quest in version 2.50.  If you try it in version 2.10, you should find they last longer (like, until you leave the screen).

- I don't think I ever found that money secret.  Thrown off by the 20 rupees given to you.  Might have helped to know that 100 rupees was there.  May have missed a few more money secrets, but I don't think I really ran into any major money issues later on.  And honestly, I didn't even get that 20 rupee piece until way later on.

- caution with permanent clocks in rooms with mirrorrobes.  Would have had to make sure there's a way out or that you can't get a clock in such a room.  Having 5 second clocks is one way around the problem

• Lightwulf and KingPridenia like this

#8 pixcalibur

pixcalibur

Warrior

• Members

Posted 08 August 2015 - 11:53 PM

Part 3 - Going through level 3.  Luckily, the early levels don't take that long, so there's a little time after to explore a bit to get to the next island.

And yes RMA, status is pending after part 7, which is scheduled already.  After that, it's an unknown status

• Lightwulf likes this

#9 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:32 AM

Part 2: (continued)

• On Forest Island, going south is a dead end at the moment, but you get to spot a couple things that you can get to later. ;)
  • BTW, nice boomerang aiming!   :)  I think you're better at using the boomerang than I am! (And defeating Darknuts, too!  You got the flow of slashing them down nicely! :D )

One thing I forgot to mention in my last post, I think it's cool that you show the info shop strings at the end. :)

Part 3:

• Level 3, 1st room to left - FYI, I purposefully designed this room so that you'd hit the statue while trying to arrow the Pols Voices so that you'd see that you can hit eye statues with arrows.  Hopefully no one misses that hint. :sweat:
  • Gibdos - As I recall, I think, in the first Zelda game, Gibdos appeared in level 3, right?  That's why I figured I could add them here, even if they are a bit tough with just the Wooden Sword.
  • Compass Room - Yeah, the statues making tall grass appear, that's just for refills.  Particularly for hearts, for those of us who accidentally touch the spikes.  :dead:
  • Lanmolas - Okay, I admit they may be a bit strong... I can change that in ZC version 2.50, but until then... I always found them about as easy to defeat as Moldorms.  Using sword beams or arrows is a good strategy if you're not comfortable getting close enough to slash the heck out of them.
  • Letter - Actually, experienced ZC players probably won't need a potion for level 3.  Those that haven't played the original Zelda or many ZC quests will probably need to go back at this point and buy a red potion, especially before the boss.  I have a relative that stopped playing because he couldn't beat the boss.
  • Red Blocks - Not all of them are pushable!  The different-colored blocks in dungeons are there so you can limit yourself to which blocks you should try to push.  How I originally had it was without any color difference.  Can you imagine trying to push every other block before finding the right one that moves???  :shiver:  A bunch of people complained about that, so I changed it.  Hope you appreciate the change! ;) (Besides, in some rooms, the color is just for decoration.)
  • Pols Voice Side Sprites - Thanks for noticing! :)  I made those before ZC version 2.50 was released, with all its updated monster sprites and everything, so it's quite different from 2.50's diagonal-side sprites; I made a more true-side sprite, as if you were looking at it from the side, not diagonally looking at it.
  • Level 2 Bow - Yeah, it amazes me that people actually don't get this!  It's missable if you don't backtrack.  It's free!  There's no need to buy it later!
  • Plus Island? - I actually call it "Addition Island" in my documentation. ;)  If you use the Heart Piece Guide text file ("ZIslands HC Guide.txt") that I provided, that's where you'll see its name.  
    (The file is actually a handy tool, BTW, if you're making sure you got all of them, or if you're in a hurry and refer to it to find the next one.  For the latter case, I numbered the heart pieces in the order you can get them, and then organized the file by listing them by location; that's why it may seem like they're numbered out of order.  Follow them in number order, and that's the order you can get them in!)
  • Bomb Item in Info Shop - Just save them for when you need them. :heh:  I wanted to put something there.  Rupees ain't everything, you know.  :slycool:  (This logic also applies to the bomb item in the circle of bushes found on Big Island.)
  • Sword Shop - In ZC version 2.10, the game gets glitchy if you put only two items in a shop and it's not a Potion Shop room; hence, to make it look like another adventurer (other than Link) might need one, I put the Wooden Sword there.  And yes, you do not need to buy the Magical Sword here or elsewhere; it is found on Big Island after you get a certain item.
    (FYI, I used to have just the White Sword here.  Revisiting the shop, it looked pretty useless if it sells just one item.  Hence the need to add more swords to the shopkeeper's wares.)
  • Mountain Fairy - You're right; it's just a fairy.  I had planned the majority of the available items to be in dungeons and had forgotten that I might want to hide items on the overworld, so... :heh: that's what became of this place.  Once I make the DX version of my quest in ZC version 2.50, though, heh heh...  :naughty:  there'll be more than just a fairy, I promise you that!  (ZC version 2.10 doesn't have an Item Editor or an Enemy Editor.)
    (I used to require the level 4 item to get to this room, but... by the time you have it, you probably won't really need the fairy, ... :heh: so I relented and made this immediately accessible for those running low on life before entering level 4.)

Nice job so far! :D  Got plenty of health to survive level 4 with, I see!  (Heart Pieces kinda' do that to 'ya. ;) ) I'm looking forward to the rest!

Edited by Lightwulf, 09 August 2015 - 04:35 AM.

#10 pixcalibur

pixcalibur

Warrior

• Members

Posted 09 August 2015 - 09:49 AM

Yes, I do that odd boomerang throw a lot, pretty much can do it whenever I want to.  Luckily, outside of LoH, I don't think you need to do these odd boomerang throw.

Gibdos appear in level 5 in the first quest, level 2 in the second quest

Hmm, boss of level 3 is easy.  The thing is that you don't have to move that much.  So even 10 gohmas you still follow the same strategy

Ok on health so far.  Can't really get much at this point until later on when I can actually explore more

• Lightwulf likes this

#11 pixcalibur

pixcalibur

Warrior

• Members

Posted 10 August 2015 - 01:02 PM

Part 4 - Going into level 4 with some awesome classic Zelda music.  Pretty short level.  After that, more exploration and a little detour to pick up some more stuff to prepare for the next level

• Lightwulf likes this

#12 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 12 August 2015 - 06:11 AM

Part 4:

• Why call it "The Chomper"? - Look at the minimap.  I chose the name "Chomper" because... well... I couldn't call it the "Pac-Man level" because that'd be copyright infringement; Nintendo owns Zelda games but Namco owns Pac-Man.  So, I think I named the level as such because Pac-Man "chomps" the ghosts.  ...  Now that I look back on it, it does sorta' look like a Chain Chomp from the Mario games, though I don't think that crossed my mind at the time that I made this.
  • "Eyeball" Firing Statues - Thanks for noticing! :)  For those of you wondering how to do this, it was initially a bit tricky to figure out how to do.  "Eyeball" is a combo type and each combo can only have one type so I couldn't also make it a statue combo.  I figured it out, though, by placing a Fire Shooter enemy over each eyeball-combo statue.  As long as the Fire Shooters are the first enemies on the enemy list, those statues will always shoot fire.
  • Disappearing (Non-"Priority") Bubble - Well, it's easy to set up like this.  You just don't put the bubble at the top of the list and when you reenter the room, the top enemy on the list will show up and you can either kill it to clear all enemies or ignore it so the enemies don't come back.  ... Not sure what you think about doing that, though.  I don't know if it's normally expected for bubbles to take priority or not.
  • Boss Key - Yeah, having a key already in the room might throw you off into thinking that's all that's there.  Like pixcalibur says, always kill off the enemies as well, just in case something happens... like here in this room!  I've seen others miss the boss key at first because of this.
  • Aquamentus - Yeah, in ZC version 2.10, you cannot edit (and therefore cannot beef-up or nerf) any enemies, let alone Aquamentus.  That's why I've been planning (in the future; not right now, though) to make a DX version of this quest in ZC version 2.50 so I can actually make my own enemies.  Because of this, I had to carefully choose what enemies to combine to make things a challenge.
  • Secret Passage to Level 2 - If you just so happen to have a super bomb, it can save you some walking if you're heading to that area on the Overworld.  ... That's all (for this version of the quest; I might add something there that's more worthwhile in the DX version :naughty:).
  • Hidden Rupees - It is true that there's a Door Repair room on Serpento Island, but if you go to the front neck of the island (screen 00 on the second overworld map), you'll find a hidden Moblin Money room that gives you 80 rupees! ;)
  • Details on Enemies - Thanks! :)  After I learned how to edit tiles, I edited all the Classic tiles (including enemies, of course) to give them a more 16-bit feel but still be recognizable as Classic.  I call this style "Modified Classic".  ...  I've considered making a Modified Classic tileset, but I've had some negative feedback about the style when I've shared screenshots, for example, in PureZC contests.  Do you think this style is good enough to be its own tileset?  Please let me know.
  • Mount Isle Village Elder - :doh: Actually, I first made this area before I'd learned about layers and before I'd imported the brown torch tiles from the BS tileset.  I just had the fires sitting on the ground and put unwalkable combos in front of all of them except outside the Elder's house.  Much later, I'd come back and placed all the flames on the torches, off the ground, ... and forgot what the Elder said so I didn't realize his lines needed to be changed. :heh:  ... Do I really need to fix that?  :puppyeyes:  I guess I could just take off that extra string... or add a hint that I haven't added elsewhere.
  • The only things you missed, besides on the left half of Big Island (on which you could've gotten a couple of things), are the hidden Moblin Money on Serpento Island (which I mentioned under "Hidden Rupees" above) and a heart piece in a chest on the screen to the southwest of Mount Isle Village.  Then again, I'm guessing you maybe skipped the heart piece because you can easily get it by taking a shortcut with an item you get later on in the game; if so, I don't blame you.

Sweet! :)  BTW, getting the wallet first was a great idea!  I normally have to backtrack after making more money because I don't go that far yet and can't hold the extra 45 rupees when I go in there.

#13 pixcalibur

pixcalibur

Warrior

• Members

Posted 12 August 2015 - 10:25 PM

Part 5 - Into level 5.  Easier with the blue ring to buffer some damage.  Pretty short level, but have to note to come back here later on.  After doing the main part, have to do some backtracking to go to level 6.  And note the rather hidden heart piece at the end there.  There are some heart pieces that you can easily miss along the way.

• Lightwulf likes this

#14 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 13 August 2015 - 04:45 AM

Aaaaand some more commentary by me. :)

Part 5:

• Music - You are correct, sir!  Super Metroid all the way! :cheese:  There are a couple of music tracks from that game in this quest.
  • Compass Room - That weird blinking space? ...  :unsure:  Oops. :heh:  Looks like, when redesigning that room to include the hammer posts and warp, I placed a hammer post combo down and later removed it by putting the blinking tile instead of a regular tile. :doh:  Buuuut, I guess it does provide that hint for the next room, so I guess it all works out! :heh:  I don't really remember planning that hint to be there, but I could have and just forgot about it; I sometimes have a poor memory.
  • Shortcuts - One thing not exactly shown in these playthroughs are the shortcuts I implemented.  Pixcalibur is so good at playing ZC that he hasn't died in the levels, so he hasn't had to use them.  If you're having trouble surviving, especially against the level bosses, use shortcuts to skip going through a majority of the rooms in the level.  There are two shortcuts in level 5.  The first you can use is openable with the hammer (in the compass room); that's there so you can bypass a bunch of rooms and avoid the pushblock room.  The second takes you close to the end of the level and is openable with the boss key.
  • Cracked Wall on Big Island - You may want to pass over other Door Repair rooms, but this one is notable.  Behind the cracked wall that's on the screen below the screen with a heart piece and Blue Octoroks, there is a cameo character hidden.  If you know Strike or have played his quests, definitely visit his character here!  You might find a familiar surprise; it's a character that he likes to hide in his quests.
  • You can actually explore more of Big Island at this point, but what pixcalibur hasn't showed of it will be seen later when he gets another item or two.
  • Make sure you (eventually) visit all the screens on Big Island.  A special item is hidden on the last screen you can get to. ;)

Doin' great, pixcalibur! :D  You're a much better player than I am.  I nominate you for "Most Likely to Do a No-Damage Run of a Quest" since you seem to be so skilled at ZC combat! ;)  You hardly got hit at all in this last part!

• TK8305 likes this

#15 TK8305

TK8305

I <3 Miyu

• Members

Posted 13 August 2015 - 04:26 PM

Pix always prepares himself!  The guy does his ZC HW all the time.  He MAPS out everything from every game he's ever done!  xD

• Lightwulf likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ZC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users