Photo

Screenshot of the Week 500!

Theryan

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 500! (90 member(s) have cast votes)

Which of these many excellent selections is the best of this 500th screenshot contest?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 22 March 2015 - 09:51 PM

We've made it everyone. Five hundred Screenshot of the Week contests. The contest has lasted quite a long time, since September 17, 2002. That's thirteen and a half years of success! Despite occasional delays, despite sometimes not having enough shots, despite any drama that has happened, Screenshot of the Week has made it this far and come quite a long way. From the bottom of my heart, thank you to everyone who has participated in the past, has participated this week, and will participate in the future. And to the many hands who have run it in the past... Nick, Praethus, MountainDrew, Teilyr, PrinceMSC, Rydia, Relic, Shoelace, /M/, Ebola Zaire, LinktheMaster, and nicklegends... Thanks to each and every one of you for helping to keep this contest afloat. :)

Also that TS guy but who cares about him.

Let the contest begin!

Cjc

Cjc.png

Searching the ruins north of Spectacle Rock

Geoffrey

Geoffrey.png

Joelmacool12

Joelmacool12.png

Where does that staircase lead?

Eddy

Eddy.png

Moonlit Grotto

Theryan

Theryan.png

"Time to start this quest to save Zelda for like the 500th time!"

Coolgamer012345

Coolgamer012345.png

Inspired by A Link to the Past

nicklegends

nicklegends.png

"Welp, it looks like I swam down the wrong river."

Twilight-Prince

Twilight-Prince.png

As Sona ventures further into Monsira Forest to find the Arbiter's Hold, she was told by the spirit of one of her ancestors to "Follow the statues to our training barracks in the forest.". While she does, she stumbles upon what seems to be a logger's camp. Does she continue on her way, or go and inspect it?

Deviance

Deviance.png

YAY TACOS

The Satellite

The%20Satellite.png

Hope will never die...

RedTribeLink

RedTribeLink.png

Hmm, I wonder what this place holds...

Shane

Shane.png

The start of a journey within a kingdom that "forgot" its past.

Orithan

Orithan.png

Soadrid Caverns: A large expanse of caverns that once housed a series of lakes that were rife with life. The all that remains today is a mere shadow of its former self; an expansive system of dried up salt pans that only the remnants of the dead call home. The salty atmosphere gradually eats away at Hal's life through dehydration, draining his ability to live as the trek through the caverns wears on.

ywkls

ywkls.png

I know I'm supposed to get that box somehow...

NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire.png

Just a random image for SotW 500! Enjoy!! :P

Russ

Russ.png

Tread silently, lest you wake the Ear Patra...

• nicklegends, Shane, Eddy and 9 others like this

#2 Twilight-Prince

Twilight-Prince

The Adversary

• Members

Posted 22 March 2015 - 10:09 PM

There's quite a lot of good screens here! May the best one win!

#3 Zeldaman23

Zeldaman23

Darkie & Dhane

• Members

Posted 22 March 2015 - 10:22 PM

I...cant....vote....They are few badass quests.

#4 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 22 March 2015 - 10:29 PM

I voted for nicklegends. It has all the best qualities of the competition all rolled into one amazing screen.

• Jared likes this

#5 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 22 March 2015 - 11:07 PM

Didn't vote due to my entry, but here are my thoughts on these screenshots.

Cjc- I like that building on the left and the staircase on the right a lot. Other than that, the screen seems to be a bit empty. I do think that the subscreen is pretty neat.

Geoffrey- Very, very nice shot. I especially like the effects on the waterfall and the look of the mountainside at the top right. Kind of makes me wonder just where this is...

Joelmacool12- It's a mountainside with flowers, trees and a ladder. There's nothing I can see wrong with this screen, it just doesn't stand out from the others to me.

Eddy- This is obviously a shot from the Legend of Amy Rose 3. Very distinctive, but nothing really special about it either.

Theryan- That building... those streams... this shot makes me want to say... is this an actual game and if so, when is it coming out? If I had voted, I would have picked this one.

Coolgamer012345- A fairly ordinary area done in Dance of Remembrance. Although, it does make me wonder if you were thinking of a particular screen in LTTP.

nicklegends- You stole an idea I had without even knowing it! Namely, use rivers to access areas by swimming beneath bridges. I also like the shadowy areas.

Twilight-Prince- There's a certain mood about this screen, an aura of mystery. Who is that person and where are they going and why? 

Deviance- This is obviously a joke of some sort...

The Satellite- This screen looks like it was taken directly out of LTTP. Very nice job.

RedTribeLink- I like a lot of things about this. The trees in the dungeon, the floor design and whatever is going on with those chains. Are they blocking the path? Or are they supposed to connect to another part of the dungeon? The suspense mounts...

Shane- A title screen. I know just how much effort can go into making one of these, especially when it is clear that this isn't using any tile that are actually going to be in the game. I get the impression that you created an image, imported it into your tiles, assigned combos to it and then created a screen. A very long, complicate process to make a mysterious beginning to this quest.

Orithan- I like the trees and the ground transitions between the various sections.

ywkls- That's me! I've already finished my overworld and I couldn't think of any way to spice it up, so I decided to create part of a dungeon I'm working on. Once I decided what the basic shape of the screen was going to be, I added as many layered details as I could to make this stand out.

NewJourneysFire- I really like the shadows on this, which look like they are from clouds passing overhead. I know from my own experience that creating cloud shadows using layers can be a hit or miss thing. Of course, given the screenshots that I've seen you create in the past this one doesn't surprise me. It just fortifies my opinion that you're really good at this.

Russ- Although the tiles aren't that different, there's something about this screen that interests me. Maybe it is that it's a dungeon in the sky. Or that the character isn't Link. Or the strange pattern in the subscreen. 

Very nice efforts for the most part!

• The Satellite, Eddy, Avaro and 2 others like this

#6 DragonDePlatino

DragonDePlatino

Pixel Dragon

• Members

Posted 22 March 2015 - 11:23 PM

Here it is, people. The big one!

I voted for Theyran's shot. It's a fantastic screen that avoided being too monochromatic or bleak. Attempting so many different colors was a bold choice and I like that.

Edited by DragonDePlatino, 22 March 2015 - 11:25 PM.

• SkyLizardGirl likes this

#7 Sparkster

Sparkster

The Sparking Spark of ZC

• Members

Posted 23 March 2015 - 02:28 AM

Geoffrey's screen looks unique for me. Very well done. Here goes my vote.

#8 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 23 March 2015 - 06:00 AM

The two mind blowing shots to me were Cjc and Geoffrey. As much as a love classic shots, I voted for Geoffrey. The atmosphere, the nostalgia, the screen design that shot brings to the table is breath taking.

But more than that, it is a representation of how far the community has come in screen design. It is a pure classic shot.

Vote wisely people. Which shot do you want to represent screenshot of the week as a whole?

Seriously. O.O

-Strike

Edited by strike, 23 March 2015 - 06:00 AM.

• HavoX likes this

#9 HavoX

HavoX

Has more posts in Doomworld than in PureZC

• Members

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:42 AM

"A $1000 on nicklegends!"

...wakes up the next morning and sees him losing...

"D'oh!"

But seriously, I think they all look good. (Yes, even yours, Deviance... I'm just in a good mood this morning.)

A good effort by everyone this week!

Edited by HavoX, 23 March 2015 - 08:44 AM.

#10 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:30 AM

I only counted 16 screenshots. That's 484 less than I consider acceptabe.

See Jay See - This is a great classic shot. My only complaint is the open corners which is really just preference. Also the rock tiles look a little out of place because they're so much grainier than the rest of the screen.

Geoff Andonuts - I really like the very natural-looking shape of the mountains as well as the varying elevation. Very nice screen.

Joelmajewel - Pretty standard screen, nothing too special that stands out. Maybe add some ground detail to make it a little more exciting.

EddyTheOligarchy - You should change the water tiles to have the waves roll towards the shore instead of moving parallel to the coast.

Cruelgamer - Pretty standard DoR screen. It could use a few more smaller trees I think, the big ones are too hard to fit a lot onto 1 screen.

Nick the Legend - Very cool jungle/forest temple shot. You did a great job of fusing the indoor and outdoor elements.

Twilight Heir to the Throne - Looks pretty decent except for how straight the path and the forest edge are. Also, there's some odd use of treetops going on the the upper left corner. I'm guessing that was intentional but it just seems a little wonky to me.

Deviyonce - T A C O

Satellite Flight - Looks very LttP, which I'm guessing was the goal. Very well done.

Bloods Link - Simple dungeon screen. I'd add some wall decorations like torches to liven the place up. Also I'm not a huge fan of those "circley" trees.

Bane - Beautiful title screen. Not much else to say about it; it's solid.

Orithanks - I really love the ground tiles and transitions used in this shot. It has a pretty dry, arid palette and atmosphere too which is great. The only thing I can think of that could use improvement is the"sand wall" tiles that seperate the lower and upper ground. Without looking at the tiles around it, it's hard to tell which part of the wall is higher if that makes sense.

ywlsdgsda - This is an intriguing dungeon shot, makes me want to explore the whole place and see what it's all about.

Old Journey's Fiyah - I'm interested to see how this screen animates. Do the coulds move? What does the water look like when it's moving? The design itself doesn't knock me out of my seat but I'd like to see some of the concepts you've tried out in action.

Russell - I like the layout of the screen, but the palette is too bright in my opinion.

• The Satellite, Eddy and Avaro like this

#11 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:27 AM

Week 500.  Subtitle is the same as one of my favorite movies:  The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.  Joke aside, lets prepare for the long talk.  In case it gets lost in the shuffle, my vote went to nicklegends.

Cjc - Nice graphics for an arid setting.  Interesting symbolism in the subscreen.  Lower right corner feels awkward.  Check for potential run into solid errors when entering parts of the screen, mainly the building in the upper left.

Geoffrey - Also nice graphics.  The screen is very crowded though.  It's biting off more than one ZC screen can chew.  I bet a screen like this would look phenomenal if spread out over 4 screens in some way.  I can just see the beach portion being one screen, the upper river portion being another, the lower ledge on the left being another, and the house area being another.  Try it.  If in a quest, it's good advice for those who struggle to complete enough for a full overworld.

Joelmacool12 - Not the most interesting screen, but from a design standpoint, it works.

Eddy - Looks like a recreation screen from Oracle of Ages.  It certainly fits the bill.  Not exactly on the creative side though (since it's more of a mimic screen), so for that reason it's not enough to call it the best of the bunch.

Theryan - My second favorite of the week.  Like Geoffrey's, it's also crowded, although not quite as much.  Most of the energy is geared toward the building facade, with the water and vegetation serving the main purpose of complementing it.

Coolgamer012345 - Good design, but that's all I can really say.  It doesn't compete with some of the screens that take us outside of ZQuest.  Good usage of inspiration though.

nicklegends - A very charming screen that masters shades of green and brown, with a hint of both sun and shade.  Overall fantastic graphics design and decisions, and my vote for this milestone week.

Twilight-Prince - Excellent usage of space for rather large graphics, which I think people can certainly take note of.  The overall design is decent.  My one criticism is that it feels darker than it intends to be, considering how much brighter the character sprite is.  It does feel like it should be somewhat dark, but maybe you went a bit too far on it.

Deviance - This screen is brought to you by Taco Corp.

tumblr_mwq4wuKYJg1qbql2i_frame1.jpg

The Satellite - Spacious, but decently detailed.  Nothing too interesting though.

RedTribeLink - I love screens like this.  It poses its share of questions for the viewer, but in a good way.  I'm not sure how I feel about the usage of these three trees, which bring some awkwardness to the screen.  They feel out of place with the rest of the graphics, so it's a question of tile choices.  I love the item sprites that appear in the subscreen.

Shane - Title screens are a hard sell for SotW among all the non-title screens out there, but I do like what I see.  It certainly stretches what ZC can do with that sort of thing, and I like the usage of coloration here.

ywkls - You also have good taste in graphics, of which I don't think I have completely seen before.  The floor button reminds me of what I have seen in Lost Isle, but that's as far as that notion goes.  The design is decent and functional for its purpose.

NewJourneysFire - Excellent graphics and design, and my third favorite of the crowd.  I love seeing Link in the middle of hookshot action too.  Great call there.  I love the view of underwater elevations too.  Despite not getting my vote, I'm surprised at how few it has so far.

Russ - Something different is often a plus, and this is no exception.  A nice screen for the action oriented in us.

Thank you to all the participants, contributing to making this week truly Legendary, beyond just the magic number.

• Eddy, Demonlink and Matthew like this

#12 LTTP

LTTP

LTTP

• Members

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:51 AM

I try not to vote for screenshots just because they are unique in there own way, but I can't help that feeling when seeing Geoffrey's screen shot.|
You got my vote!

#13 Joelmacool

Joelmacool

Addicted to Overwatch

• Moderators

Posted 23 March 2015 - 11:02 AM

I would've voted for Deviance but since i'm in this weeks SotW i cant...
Sorry taco... i betray you.

Edited by Joelmacool12, 23 March 2015 - 11:02 AM.

• Matthew likes this

#14 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 23 March 2015 - 11:20 AM

Aaaaaa so many amazing screens this month. We got a fucking list going on here XD

Time to review all of them:

Cjc - Really interesting screen though there's quite a bit of style clashing going on. Either way, looks pretty cool.

Geoffrey - Dayum this looks cool. This reminds me of Wind Waker so much with the mountains and houses and all that. Great job.

Joelmacool12 - This looks like a very solid LA-like screen. I don't really have any criticisms other than the fact that the grass on the left and right sides should be a bit less straight.

Eddy - You're copying Oracle of Ages, 0/5.

Theryan - This is really nice. I love the attention to detail here and the design is really cool.

Coolgamer012345 - Looks pretty nice, though I'll admit it seems a bit empty. It would probably look better if you add a few more rocks here and there.

nicklegends - I love the forest setting here. Really cool stuff. I dunno if the water is really supposed to be green since that looks odd (unless it's supposed to be part of a swamp or something). Either way, nice.

Twilight-Prince - Pretty neat, but I think it would be a bit better to make the dirt path a little less straight to give it more of a natural feel. It would also help to add a bit of detail on the dirt path.

Deviance - Taco. That is all.

The Satellite - ALTTP vibes all around here. This really reminds me of Kakariko Village and also makes me want to play ALTTP again :P

RedTribeLink - Interesting shot. I like the detail with the trees and the lock block which actually shows where it connects to. To improve, probably make the room less squared.

Shane - This. Holy crap, this is AMAZING. I really love this title screen because of how close it is to the actual GBC games which is a huge plus. Best of the bunch IMO.

Orithan - Very interesting take on a dungeon. I really like the whole desert/salt combo you got going here. The design is pretty spectacular and I would've said this was the best if it weren't for Shane. Great job.

ywkls - Nice shot though it's nothing too amazing. Probably a little bit more detail could help.

NewJourneysFire - Oh man this is really neat. I love the transparent water and the design is really awesome. Great job.

Russ - I better see Airman at the end of this dungeon. This is really cool. I love the sky background and those bumpers look very evil lol. I would personally add a bit of detail to the walls though like have some torches there or something.

I usually null vote when I participate in SotW, but Shane's shot really blew me away to the point where I kinda need to vote for him :P

Everyone did exceptionally well this week and congrats for reaching 500 contests!

• Avaro and Matthew like this

#15 ZeldaPlayer

ZeldaPlayer

What's up my playas

• Members

Posted 23 March 2015 - 03:59 PM

Too much. TOO MUCH. OMG I couldn't even pick which one. But I had to vote for Geoffrey. I love that detail! :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Theryan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users