#1546 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members

Posted 04 January 2021 - 03:32 PM

Mitch absolutely deserved the victory.
I still love his winner shot.

Congratulations!!!

Edited by Bagu, 04 January 2021 - 03:32 PM.

#1547 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 05 January 2021 - 06:57 AM

Hey, not sure if this has been suggested before but I noticed this week's shots are in alphabetical order... is that always the case? If so, I think this should be changed - have the order randomised instead. This is just my hypothesis, but I think the first shots make a stronger impression on the voter, and they get fatigued as they move down the list (shots appear more like the ones before it and thus have less impact). This is especially true when two or more shots are quite common, e.g. this week Aslion's shot jumped out for being monochrome, taking the "wow" out of the other two monochrome shots (not to take anything away from Aslion, because it's a nice shot, but this could also (partially) explain the vote disparity between them).

If someone with more time on their hands wants to crunch the numbers and see if listing order has an effect on winning (if it's always been alphabetical) I'd be curious to see the results.
  • Anthus likes this

#1548 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members

Posted 05 January 2021 - 08:04 AM

Hey, not sure if this has been suggested before but I noticed this week's shots are in alphabetical order... is that always the case? If so, I think this should be changed - have the order randomised instead. This is just my hypothesis, but I think the first shots make a stronger impression on the voter, and they get fatigued as they move down the list (shots appear more like the ones before it and thus have less impact). This is especially true when two or more shots are quite common, e.g. this week Aslion's shot jumped out for being monochrome, taking the "wow" out of the other two monochrome shots (not to take anything away from Aslion, because it's a nice shot, but this could also (partially) explain the vote disparity between them).

If someone with more time on their hands wants to crunch the numbers and see if listing order has an effect on winning (if it's always been alphabetical) I'd be curious to see the results.

To be honest...
...these three GB-style shots, definitly look very simialar.
I don't know if another order would change so much.
In my opinion it was a good decision, to vary between coloured a monochromatic images.
If the GB shots would follow one another, it would reduce the the "wow" effect, instead of increasing it.

Don't get me wrong.
I like the design of 'em all.

Edited by Bagu, 05 January 2021 - 08:04 AM.

#1549 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 05 January 2021 - 05:00 PM

If the GB shots would follow one another, it would reduce the the "wow" effect, instead of increasing it.

Yeah, that's kind of my point. The FIRST shot gets the wow but the subsequent ones look stale and repetitive. If Hubdwyer's shot came before Aslion's, maybe it'd have more votes?

If I'm correct, then users with names that begin further down the alphabet are inherently disadvantaged. It's not a fair competition anymore.
  • Bagu likes this

#1550 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 05 January 2021 - 05:20 PM

Yeah, that's kind of my point. The FIRST shot gets the wow but the subsequent ones look stale and repetitive. If Hubdwyer's shot came before Aslion's, maybe it'd have more votes?

If I'm correct, then users with names that begin further down the alphabet are inherently disadvantaged. It's not a fair competition anymore.

Maybe - "first" bias is a real thing.  But also I think Hubydweyer and I both agree that Aslion's was the best shot as well - so I think it's also a case of all three shots attracting the same kind of person who's likely to vote for them and the better shot doing better.

I think I always just posted the shots in the order they were received in the past.  I guess if you were extremely dedicated you could game the system this way.

• Bagu likes this

#1551 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 05 January 2021 - 05:48 PM

I'm going to request a name change to Arlion!

I guess it's a plausible theory that the last screenshots leave less of an impression, especially when the screens are similar, but I'm not too concerned about it. This contest is fair and square on all other aspects I don't think people would make advantage of this.

Still this nickname I chose when I was 12 is kinda lame, isn't it...?  :naughty:

#1552 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members

Posted 05 January 2021 - 06:08 PM

I'm going to request a name change to Arlion!

I guess it's a plausible theory that the last screenshots leave less of an impression, especially when the screens are similar, but I'm not too concerned about it. This contest is fair and square on all other aspects I don't think people would make advantage of this.

Still this nickname I chose when I was 12 is kinda lame, isn't it...?  :naughty:

The nickname is great...
memorable and tells a lot about your gaming preferences. (I guess so)

...it's definitly fair, in my opinion...
...look at the current contest ranking...

Twily is down, at the bottom  ;)
...but he still got the most votes, by now

Edited by Bagu, 05 January 2021 - 06:07 PM.

• Twilight Knight likes this

#1553 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members

Posted 05 January 2021 - 06:24 PM

If scrolled though the latest few SotW polls...
...it really seems, that it's always been in alphabetical line up.

But the results have been diverse.
I can not agree that the first shots always get more votes than the last ones.

It's always a matter of taste.
...the alphabetic order is the best way to be fair.

Edited by Bagu, 05 January 2021 - 06:44 PM.

#1554 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 05 January 2021 - 08:18 PM

Shots used to be posted into the OP in the order they were received, but this was changed to alphabetical back when we restructured SotW. I had to ask other staff cause I wasn't sure, but it's an interesting point about some always being lower. Alphabetical might not be the best, and I'd personally be fine with going back to order received, but there will always be a first shot which may steal that wow factor away. I dunno, everyone also looks at these differently. Some might vote in a few seconds based on impulse, others in a few minutes, others after looking at each one in paint.net for 15 minutes. Or it might be a popularity contest. :P

• Bagu likes this

#1555 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 06 January 2021 - 12:54 AM

...it's definitly fair, in my opinion...

Sounds like something a B would say...

...look at the current contest ranking...

Twily is down, at the bottom ;)
...but he still got the most votes, by now

You can't look to a single sample as proof of anything. I'm not saying first shots always get the most votes, just that there may be a bias towards earlier shots.

But the results have been diverse.
I can not agree that the first shots always get more votes than the last ones.

You wouldn't expect to see that. You'd need to collect as much data as possible (votes across multiple weeks) and compare the average votes for each position. If position doesn't matter we should see a flat graph with similar averages, but any peaks or valleys are evidence of position affecting the vote. Which would mean alphabetical order is not fair.

the alphabetic order is the best way to be fair.

No it's not. Random order is the most fair.

but there will always be a first shot which may steal that wow factor away.

Which is why a random order is more fair. That way everyone has an equal chance at going first and stealing thunder from the others.
  • Anthus likes this

#1556 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members

Posted 06 January 2021 - 01:39 AM

Sounds like something a B would say...

The tragedy of my life
...always a "B" ...never an "A"  :puppyeyes:

...btw
there's one thing I don't understand.
If you think Hubdwyer's shot deserves a higher ranking
...Why did you not vote for him?

#1557 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 06 January 2021 - 04:08 AM

...btw
there's one thing I don't understand.
If you think Hubdwyer's shot deserves a higher ranking
...Why did you not vote for him?

Well I voted for Twilight Knight because I liked that one the best.

To be clear though, I don't think Hubdwyer deserves a higher ranking. I just question if it would be higher if it was displayed before Aslion's. I think Aslion's shot is better, as do most people evidently, but with a different order Hubdwyer might have scored an extra vote or two. That's the hypothesis at least.

#1558 Chris

Chris

The Sun Is in Your Hand!

• Members

Posted 06 January 2021 - 05:31 AM

If the order influences my opinion, I think I rather vote later displayed screens. Short attention span and such.

And like Anthus did say jokingly, I can't help but favor certain people subconsciously. If I like two or more submissions to a similar degree and my thoughts for one go in the direction of "What a shame that such skill is wasted on that person" while I just want to wholeheartedly congrulate the other one, it's impossible to stay objective.

There are similar things like being hyped for a certain project or seeing similar screens in multiple SotWs in a row, compared to that the order of display seems like a really minor detail.

#1559 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 06 January 2021 - 09:38 AM

Random order would be weird and still feel biased/unfair even if it isn't, random factors aren't good for competition It should go back to order of submission imo. Creates a fun environment where there's strategy to when you submit your shot. If there is a bias towards the first screen you could choose to try to snipe the first position at the cost of having more time to work throughout the week and might encourage more submissions overall.

or keep it alphabetical because it benefits me. i will change my name to have extra a's at the beginning if needed

• Twilight Knight, Mitchfork, Matthew and 1 other like this

#1560 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members

Posted 06 January 2021 - 10:21 AM

I guess I'll change my name to Zzzzelda...
...so noone can call me a "B" anymore ;)

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users