Photo

How accurate can I make LttP in ZC?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 PublicEnemy1

PublicEnemy1

• Members

Posted 01 December 2018 - 09:11 PM

Besides Z3 scrolling, what are other things I can't make in ZC that are possible in Z3?

#2 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 01 December 2018 - 11:25 PM

(Rubs hands together)

Virtually nothing.

(Waits for dumbfounded expression)

In point of fact, there's an ongoing project to recreate all of the dungeon tiles at least. Most of the enemies have been done. 

I myself did a version without scripts that has extremely bad graphics.

I do plan to work on a more accurate version (sans Z3 scrolling, because I'm not quite that insane) someday.

Also, this is my 1,500th post. :bounce:

• Matthew and PublicEnemy1 like this

#3 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 02 December 2018 - 02:19 AM

Besides Z3 scrolling, what are other things I can't make in ZC that are possible in Z3?

The short answer: Nothing, if you are willing to invest the time and effort into it.

• ywkls and PublicEnemy1 like this

#4 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 02 December 2018 - 04:54 PM

Those two layer dungeons like Thieves' Town might be a challenge. We've had over under bridges be possible through secrets and warps for a while now, but I don't believe anyone's made a system where enemies go over and under them and respect draw order, collision and walkability. The closest would be Mitsukara's Link and Zelda: Panoply of Calatia which relies somewhat on the Classic set's simplicity to make it work.

• Anthus, Mitsukara and ywkls like this

#5 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 December 2018 - 05:23 PM

I don't believe anyone's made a system where enemies go over and under them and respect draw order, collision and walkability.

blue_knight did for Mirror of the Moon (https://www.purezc.n...showtopic=54079), but the video is gone, sadly.

#6 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 02 December 2018 - 06:45 PM

Those two layer dungeons like Thieves' Town might be a challenge. We've had over under bridges be possible through secrets and warps for a while now, but I don't believe anyone's made a system where enemies go over and under them and respect draw order, collision and walkability. The closest would be Mitsukara's Link and Zelda: Panoply of Calatia which relies somewhat on the Classic set's simplicity to make it work.

Yeah. I just had the non-scripted version use separate DMaps for multiple floors like that.

And since I didn't have scripted enemies, they didn't really behave like they should.

But, I'm certain there's a way to make it work out.

#7 Mitsukara

Mitsukara

Ara?

• Members

Posted 03 December 2018 - 03:29 AM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure there's ways to make the two layer bridges more accurately/generally than what I did. My way was to change solidity on a specific group of combos, based on flags Link stepped on to determine when he went up a layer and when he fell off of one.

It's worth noting, though, that ZC lends itself more easily to Link's Awakening type gameplay than LTTP. You can certainly do LTTP's graphics, but for example, the default Sword "Slash" is based on LA behavior, not LTTP. ZC can do most of what LTTP does with a lot of work, but I think a mostly-flawless Link's Awakening remake (with slightly larger screens) would be more straightforward with what ZC can do.

If you want to do LTTP or LA style things in ZC without using scripts, then you're in for a mixed bag. You can do some of it, but you'll be bound to more Zelda 1-ish enemies for the most part. You can make LTTP style graphics though, and Link can be set to 8 way movement and you can use slash, and there's built in items like the hookshot. Not the Cane of Somaria, though, that one you need scripts for.

------- And now a rambling aside:

To anyone who makes a LTTP based quest.... then please please please somebody somewhere, consider using tall Link tiles with the full size LTTP sprites (and preferably also tall moblins/stalfos/etc to go with him, via scripting). Tall Link is a built in feature nobody uses (press the Alt key- I think it's alt? Maybe shift or ctrl or X- when selecting Link tiles, to switch between 1x1, 1x2, and 2x2. 2x2 centers on Link).

I set up Link's tiles that way in my ocean sailing demo thing, and if anyone wants to use tiles or anything else from that, then feel free. (I didn't give him shield tiles, though... I was going to draw on the shield tile with scripts. I think Dart Zaidyer had a quest somewhere where he was going to do a 2x2 set with the shield built onto the sprite like normal, but that seems more difficult to set up. At that point I'd almost rather do a thin shield... but drawing a full size shield on with scripts would be fairly easy I think).

Edited by Mitsukara, 03 December 2018 - 03:29 AM.

• Sheik likes this

#8 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 03 December 2018 - 05:41 AM

[...] but I think a mostly-flawless Link's Awakening remake (with slightly larger screens) would be more straightforward with what ZC can do.

I honestly think that would be super great. In fact, I come around to the idea every once in a half year and start mapping or spriting some stuff for a LA remake and then drop it again.

Link-and-Marin.png

Much love. Good game.

• Anthus likes this

#9 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:15 PM

I honestly think that would be super great. In fact, I come around to the idea every once in a half year and start mapping or spriting some stuff for a LA remake and then drop it again.

:whistle:

zelda001.png

zelda001.png?width=400&height=138

I sort of already started work on this. I am planning a demo release after finishing Level 1.

• Anthus likes this

#10 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 03 December 2018 - 01:27 PM

Heh. Yeah, I am working on the same idea with the Firebird tileset right now. :) Good luck!

• ywkls likes this

#11 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 04 December 2018 - 02:23 AM

tbh I think LA's magic partly works due to the graphics. In any case, a 1 to 1 LA remake would be easier than Z3 on paper... but wayyyy more script effort has been put into emulating Z3 in ZC. LA, meanwhile, has only "one" main boss made in ZC, and that's Moldorm from Z3. Meanwhile, the only Z3 boss that isn't out there (in a version faithful to the original, at least) is Vitreus. We already have a few attempts at Z3 sword made (mine included; it's not public yet, but it's fairly accurate and I do plan on releasing it publically at some point). Pegasus boots exist, fire and ice rods exist, the bottle system exists, the magic cape exists, the cane of somaria exists (CURSED), etc.

While LA would be easier to make, more people have had the idea to do Z3 stuff that we're much closer to a Z3 remake than an LA remake. Hell, Z3 scrolling can be done too, if you're dedicated enough; the main problem with that though is that it's not easy to cookie cutter place it; you need to tailor make it for the quest.

Overall, Z3 is 100% possible in ZC; it all comes down to your level of script expertise and how much effort you're willing to put in to either make scripts and/or find and combine all the scripts people have made.

• PublicEnemy1 likes this

#12 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 12 December 2018 - 08:25 PM

Meanwhile, the only Z3 boss that isn't out there (in a version faithful to the original, at least) is Vitreus. 

Who the hell is Vitreus?

*google searches Vitreus*

Oh! It's the eyeball guy! Who would have thought a bunch of eyeballs would have a name?

#13 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 13 December 2018 - 07:54 AM

Oh, I thought the name came from vitriol (which is weird to describe so look it up I guess?)

#14 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 13 December 2018 - 12:15 PM

blue_knight did for Mirror of the Moon (https://www.purezc.n...showtopic=54079), but the video is gone, sadly.

(Emphasis, mine.)

You can still view the video, and here's the quest file, if you want to explore it. The scripts are in the ZIP.

If someone wants to rip his videos, I'll archive them. I've meant to do that, for zc.com, as an historical thing, but I've had some issues getting that established.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users